1. Interested in Natural Skin Care Solutions?: Check Here
    Dismiss Notice

Tonsuring/ head shave

Discussion in 'Hair Care & Hair Styles' started by studentx, Oct 20, 2011.

1. studentx

studentx New IL'ite

Hi, I am a fashion journalism student and am currently working on an article all to do with hair extensions and who they come from. I was just wondering about some of the aspects of Indian culture and tonsuring. I would be extremely grateful if anybody that has experienced getting their head shaved or knows friends and family that have if you could answer a few questions on it for me...
    Firstly where about in the world do you currently live and where did the head shave take place?
    Did you get your hair shaved off to do with the religious ceremony tonsuring and why?
    What were the reasons behind you wanting to shave off your hair?
    Do you believe since shaving you hair off it has helped you in any way? Please explain.
    What do your friends and family think about you shaving your hair off?
    What do you and your culture believe having long hair represents?
    Did you get paid any money for the hair you sacrificed? If yes, how much did you get paid? Was that part of the reason you wanted to have it done? If no, would you want to get paid for it? What do you think about the temples selling on yours and other peoples hair for a profit? And what does it go towards?
    What do you think of other people wearing these real human hair extensions in the UK and USA?
    Who does the hair get sacrificed from usually: Adults? Children, how young?
    A common myth about hair extensions are that they come from dead people is this true or have you ever heard it yourself?
    Thankyou for taking the time out to answer these few questions. I would greatly appreciate a reply it will help me out alot.

2. Lalithaaa

Lalithaaa Senior IL'ite

Hi friend.. I have tried to provide answers to few question with the available information that I have..Check if it shelps you in any way..

Firstly where about in the world do you currently live and where did the head shave take place?
    I am in India and I have seen many people in my relatives with shaved head.
    Did you get your hair shaved off to do with the religious ceremony tonsuring and why?
    Yes... I can recollect two of them..One is first time head shave. We have the belief that the first head shave of a child should be done at the age of 3.Generally this ceremony is held at some temple.
    Secondly head shave at pilgrimage. I have seen my relatives (Adults) having their head shaved at various temples.
    What were the reasons behind you wanting to shave off your hair?
    People vow the god like If their wishes are fulfilled they will have a head shave(This is the most common reason I have noticed in my relatives) .Once their wish is completed , they have the head shave .
    Do you believe since shaving you hair off it has helped you in any way? Please explain.
    No. Except the self satisfaction that we are giving something for the sake of god.
    What do your friends and family think about you shaving your hair off?
    As I mentioned I have not done it. Whatever I observed in my relatives is, it is considered it as very common and the first question others ask that person is which temple have you visited?
    What do you and your culture believe having long hair represents?
    In my culture it is like , women should have long hair. Especially all married women. There is an exception if the head shave is done for the sake of god and in case of widows
    Did you get paid any money for the hair you sacrificed? If yes, how much did you get paid? Was that part of the reason you wanted to have it done? If no, would you want to get paid for it? What do you think about the temples selling on yours and other peoples hair for a profit? And what does it go towards?
    No money is paid for that. And as far as I know no one wants to get paid for it. As far as my knowledge, people have the belief that “We have given it for god .Let them (people at the temples) do whatever they want”. Here I want to mention one more thing which I heard from my servant , She said whatever the hair they lose (when combing) they store it and sell it for small things like hair clips, safety pins etc it seems ( It was a surprising for me too !!!)
    What do you think of other people wearing these real human hair extensions in the UK and USA?
    NA

Who does the hair get sacrificed from usually: Adults? Children, how young?
    Both
    A common myth about hair extensions are that they come from dead people is this true or have you ever heard it yourself?
    No idea on this