Tofu - Recipes & Storing Tips

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by jignasha, Nov 24, 2005.

1. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Sounds good..

Dear Padmaja,

Tofu omlette sounds good. This is something I have not attempted and shall do so now. Does just adding some cheese bind the ingredients and make it spreadable?? Or do you add a little fluid content in the form of water or milk? Just wondering...
    Thanks for the recipe:)

2. Padmaja

Padmaja New IL'ite

Re:

Nope! On the contrary, you need to drain water from the tofu as it is full of water. I wrap extra firm tofu with paper towels and place it under a weight for sometime. Try to grate the tofu into long strands for omelette but for scramble, you can just crumble it with hand.

Experiment with the ingredients. It is a pretty forgiving recipe, in the sense that if your omlette does not bind, you will end up with a tofu scramble, which is not a bad thing after all. My DH actually asks for tofu scramble with rice sometimes.

3. santha248

santha248 New IL'ite

tofu

Hi Friends,
    I am from Malaysia
    We quite sure of using tofu in our daily cooking. we can cut the tofu into small cubes and fry it and keep in the plastic container for our daily use. This way we can keep the tofu for at least for five days.But remember keep it in the fridge ok.
    We can use this for our cucumber salad which we made with tomato,onion and chilli for our taste. Add a bit of fried tofu in to it and servce when we have party or for our daily lunch also we can eat.
    Hope this one wil help you as one more receipe

4. cheer

cheer Silver IL'ite

Tofu Bhurji

Ingredients: 200 gm tofu
    2 tomatoes
    1 onion
    2 tbsp refined oil
    1/2 tsp cumin seeds
    1/2 tsp ginger paste
    1/2 tsp garlic paste
    pinch of turmeric powder
    red chilli powder - to taste
    salt - to taste

Method: Grate tofu and chop the onion and tomatoes. Keep aside.

Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds and stir for 30 seconds. Add ginger paste, garlic paste, chopped onions, turmeric powder, red chili powder and fry till the onions turn golden brown in colour.

Add chopped tomatoes, salt and cook till the tomatoes are soft. Add grated tofu, stir for two minutes and remove from flame.

Bhurji can be used as filling for sandwiches or can be served with rotis.

PS-I use to make this quite often, tasty & easy to make

5. slp807

slp807 Bronze IL'ite

Re: Recipe with TOFU???

Hey cheer,

thanxs for the link, somehow i missed it :)

-sreelatha

6. Anushiv

Anushiv Senior IL'ite

Re: Recipe with TOFU???

I mash tofu.. mix it atta, add salt.. make dough. roll it as chapati!

one way of eating protein!:)

7. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Spicy Tofu Stir Fry

This recipe serves 4 people.

Ingredients:
    10 OZ ( 300 gms) firm tofu
    1 bunch scallions ( green onions) sliced
    1 red bell pepper seeded and sliced
    1 yellow bell pepper seeded and sliced
    1 large zucchini sliced
    1 green pepper seeded and sliced
    4 ounces( 120 gms) baby french beans halved ( optional)
    8 ounces( 250 gms) cremini mushrooms halved ( optional)
    2 tsps ground cumin
    1 tbsp paprika( red chiili powder can be used for more spice)
    1 tsp ground ginger
    2 garlic cloves crushed
    4 tbs oil
    1/2 cup Pine nuts ( can sustitute almonds, or cashews)
    1 tbsp lime juice
    1 tbsp honey
    salt and pepper.

Method:

Mix together the cumin, paparika,. ginger with plenty of salt and pepper( keep in mind not to make it too salty). Cut the tofu into cubes and coat them in the spice mixture. Allow to marinate for about 20 to 30 minutes.
    Heat about 2 tbsp of oil in wok or large frying pan. Cook the tofu on high heat for 3 to 4 minutes, turning occassionaly. Take care not to break the tofu. Remove the tofu with a slotted spoon.
    Add the remaining oil to the wok. cook the garlic and scallions for about 2 to 3 minutes.
    Add the remaining vegetables and cook over medium heat for about 6 minutes until the veggies are just begining to soften. Add salt to the veggies if needed ( remember the oil already has a lot of the spice from the tofu. taste the veggies before adding salt).
    Add the fried tofu back to the pan. Add the nuts, lime juice and honey. Stir carefully and heat the mixture evenly.
    Serve immediately over noodles or rice or can be had as is.

Any combination of veggies can be used: broccoli, carrots, snap peas, bok choy etc......

Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
  8. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Vandhana - I am going to try it this weekend and will give you my fb!!:2thumbsup:

9. jasgeorge

jasgeorge New IL'ite

I normally dice tofu and add into my soups. Its ideal for chicken soup or even vegetable soup. I also sometimes deep fry the tofu and make a spicy peanut chutney to go with it. Or take a big square piece of tofu. Deep fry it and gently make a slit in the middle. Stuff julienned cucumber, bean sprouts, carrots and onions into it. Serve with chilli sauce.
    All the best.
    Jas

10. Shobanag

Shobanag Bronze IL'ite

Re: Spicy Tofu Stir Fry

Hi Vandhana - tried the recipe for dinner tonight - A++++!!. It was spicy - like you recommended, I used chilli powder since I dont have paprika - also skipped the pine nuts. I made whole wheat pasta (spaghetti) and served the tofu with it - just great. Loved the tofu being spicy - I think you can almost serve the tofu by itself as an appetizer!!