1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Toddler food while going out...

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by Karthema, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Karthema

Karthema Junior IL'ite

Hi...
    I have a 18 months toddler..
    When we go out during weekends for beach,park or any far places, I have a great problem in feeding my toddler..
    She eats semi mashed food.. So we couldnt give her regular meal...
    I used to pack semi mashed food for her,but after 2 hours,i became chill & i couldnt reheat it,sometimes it has some water in it...So i carry packaged baby foods..
    I dont prefer giving my baby hotel food...
    But i feel very guilty in feeding my toddler baby food packages...
    What do you people do?
    Pls suggest me any food ideas..

2. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

I gave packaged baby food if I knew that I have to store it for hours in room temperature (or warmer) as the risk for bacteria growth is big with home made food. In restaurants I usually ordered from the kids section or (depending on what we our self were eating) gave from my plate (taking a portion aside and asked for an extra plate).

Baby food is Ok as it is more safe if you have to carry it around. And restaurant food is OK also. And if it is only one meal some fruits, biscuits and water will be enough.

3. CoolIndianGirl

CoolIndianGirl Bronze IL'ite

If it is just park/beach near by return time is 3 hrs i will take cooked satthumavvu kanchi and hot water i will get it frm starbucks or coffe shop near by .. will mix it and give it to him.. if it is two meal than i will take apple juice which keeps him hydrated.. along iwth that i wil ltake kanchi and avocado/yogurt.. before leaving the house i will fed him fully so that he will not be fussy.. if we stay in some place over night we will rent a hotel which has kitchen in it always.. but i will give him mac and cheese resturant bought when he says no no to any food i take.. mac and cheese with flav yogurt will make a feast for my son..

4. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

For my 15 month old,
    *I usually make an avocado sandwich, just mash the avocado and spread it on the bread. Alternative would be a cheese sandwich.
    *You can make pancakes or fritters/ pakoda or patties and take them.
    *You can also take roasted veggies with you or soft fruit like banana.
    I also make oatmeal and immediately place it in one of those cooler bags..so its stays moderately warm.

I think if you use one of those small stainless steel dabbas you get in india, the food will stay warmer. I just use a plastic container but would love to get one of those stainless containers.

When we are in the restaurant, I dont give her anything from the toddler menu, I just take one of the above items and give her that. She does taste a little bit of our ordered food...which is fine.

If its an overnight stay, I try to make sure the hotel room has a small kitchen, so I can cook oatmeal and heat up her kichdi and stuff.

Cooks

5. cooks2010

cooks2010 Silver IL'ite

Forgot to mention, I also sometimes take, sabudana kichdi, or pasta (small shells) with cheese/brocolli or upma, uttapam.

Cooks

6. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

The basic rule I used that if it is warm food then storage time max two hours. Otherwise better to cool and keep cold and then reheat. Usually it is not possible to have a cold enough Place if going to a park etc for longer time so then packaged food (or restaurant food) is safer. Same things also with cold food like sandwiches etc, max two hours out of the fridge. Dry food (like bisquits, dried fruit) or fresh fruit can keep longer. Most restaurants have microwaves to heat packaged food and usually there are at least some healthy options also in the kids menu.

7. Karthema

Karthema Junior IL'ite

Hi everyone,
    Thank you so much for all the suggestions....
    now i have a handful of options.....
    Thank you so much.....
    Now i can travel without fear & guiltiness...

8. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

Buy thermos lunch boxes and carry food in that . It should be good for few hours . If it is going to be longer try carrying hot water to warm the food a little .fruits mAy work better for other times . Or dry good like Cheerios

9. Karthema

Karthema Junior IL'ite

Thank you for the ideas ma...