1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Toddler-Dental Care

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by brahan, Apr 21, 2011.

1. brahan

brahan Platinum IL'ite

Hi IL Moms,

I am starting this new thread to discuss about the Dental Care of Toddlers.

We can discuss here about the
    a. Dental Routine we follow for the Toddlers.
    b. Tooth Paste/Brush brands used/suggested
    c. Good Practices that is followed by you for your Toddler reg dental care
    d. Any suggestions given by your Paed-Dentist.

Let me begin with mine:

a. Usual brushing of his teeth in the morning. DS is not so Fussy about Brushing his teeth, but he wants to do it all by himself .As he is just 2.11 , am not so convinced about him brushing by himself.I try to brush his teeth before his bedtime also , but sometimes forget:bonk

b. My dentist suggested me Kiddodent Tooth paste. Its not so easily available in the Market. So am currently using the Colgate Kids toothpaste(Strawberry flavour) with J & J brush .

c. Nothing as such. :rant

d. Havent met my Paed-dentist still.(Touch Wood).I think i should take him for a regular check up soon.

TIA

2. brahan

brahan Platinum IL'ite

So many views and no FB??? Toddler Mummies please pour in your thoughts

3. swaran

swaran IL Hall of Fame

Hi brahan...

nice thread and would be truely informative...i too wanted to know about dental care and good that you have started one for help......:thumbsup

I slowly started training my kid with brushing after i saw 2 tiny teeth in her mouth(maybe in her 10th month)...initially i just used to give her the J&J brush,just to get a feel on brushing...initially it was just another toy for her which later she compared to her hair brush and started to brush her hair with that....hehhee
    2-3 months passed like this and i slowly gave her the kids brush and took her to the bathroom...i then kept a small bit of pepsodent kids toothpaste and asked her to brush....which obviously she dint do and dint allow me also to do..she just tasted the paste...but then when i give her a bath,i used to lightly brush her teeth with my fingers..everyday morning i used to take her with me to the bathroom and made her see when i brush,here i also give her brush and a small amount of paste....slowly she started to like the paste,yes she eats the paste...now she is better with brushing,she does move the brush here and there inside her mouth,but thats enough for now...she even asks for her brush and paste whenever she enters the bathroom...but then as of for,she does not know how to spit the paste from her mouth and swallows it...when i show her or ask her to spit,she just says "tu tu"...but without telling,she can spit water,food everywhere around the house...:bonk....
    then i take some water,ask her to open her mouth and slowly try to remove the paste from her mouth and side by side slowly brush her teeth either with the brush or with fingers...along with that i also clean her tongue....

i dont give her any other paste than the pespodent kids strawberry floavoured toothpaste and do keep changing the baby brushes(colours and designs-one time car,doll,angel) once every 3 months or in case she makes the brush too dirty:hide:

so these are the dental care i take for her as of now :)

2 people like this.
  4. chitrajaraika

chitrajaraika Platinum IL'ite

wow nice thread with good information.it may help in future for me.

Thanks fro brahan and swaran:)

5. brahan

brahan Platinum IL'ite

Yeah. same here. Still my DS doesnt spit properly the paste. Even when him water to wash his mouth and spit, he simply drinks it and doesnt spit.Naughty Kids

6. brahan

brahan Platinum IL'ite

You are in TTC right???I wish you have a Cute and healthy baby soon :thumbsup

7. amul

amul Silver IL'ite

Good information abt dental care.

I would suggest that kids should have detal check up atleast 2times in a year.

8. chitrajaraika

chitrajaraika Platinum IL'ite

Thanks a lot brahan.i am happy to get a wishes from you:)

9. rosary

rosary Gold IL'ite

10. NithinSrinivas

NithinSrinivas Senior IL'ite

Hi Brahan,

U've started a very informative thread...thanks a lot!! :)

My DS is gonna be 3 in a fortnight..he is a very fussy guy when it comes to brushing...I've to do all sorts of tricks and tantrums to make him brush..:spin

As I'm working I don't have the time to take him to the bathroom to show him when I brush...but I try to do so during weekends..I also make it a point to make him brush before going to bed...but sometimes I do forget to... :bonk

Even now he doesnt know to spit but sometimes he never fails to spit water all over the house..donno why hez not spitting what I say to...:biglaugh
    As he doesnt spit properly..I make it a point to give him drinking water when he brushes..as it ok if he drinks it too...:) I try to clean up the toothpaste remains using my fingers..I also make it a point that he cleans his tongue as well...hope it is a best practice I stick to.. :thumbsup

And coming to the toothpaste...his pediatrician has asked me to use Pigeon brand toothpaste for kids..this has low flouride and its ok if he doesnt spit...and he changes his tooth brush even time I find it to be too worn if not every 2 months..each time it shud be mickey, call, barbie or something that fascinates him in the mall...

This is a veryyyyy short story of my DS/s dental care.. :)