1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Toddler and preschooler foods

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by Ami, Dec 24, 2005.

1. mommy

mommy New IL'ite

Re: diet chart for 1-2 year old kid

hi vidhya,

thanks friend....i will start giving him raisins juice along with pulp....thanks so much....

2. desertdiva

desertdiva Junior IL'ite

hi vidya,
    how do u mix oats and yoghurt. pls do lemme know.. i'm having a very very difficult time feeding my 20 month old baby girl...bonk

3. vidhya parani

vidhya parani Senior IL'ite

hi desertdiva,
    i take half a cup of oats and add boiling hot water in it by constantly stirring...make a paste without lumps and then add a little salt (and pepper sometimes) along with fresh curd..add as much curd as to make a porridge...
    all the best!

4. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vidhya,

I have one small suggestion in giving soaked raisins. We use to give 'dried grapes with seeds' and those are big in size. Take 2 of them and put them in water in the night. Next day morning remove the seed from that and make like a paste by your hand and feed to your baby.
    If you are having small baby which is below 6 months use 1 grape per day. If it is more than 6 months you can use 2. For small babies, remove the stone and add some more water with the soaked grapes. and take just water from that and feed them. You can eat the rest.:-D

5. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi mommy,

One tip I have already told. Another one is, Take one teaspoon of honey and add it in warm water and mix well. Feed this to your baby in the morning in empty stomach. This is one of the best ways to avoid constipation. You can start this for your baby from 10<SUP>th</SUP> day itself. I used to give this my son <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place>Krishna</st1:place>. Try this. All the Best.

6. vidhya parani

dear krishnaamma,
    thankyou for the tip...i dint know that we get dried grapes with seeds...i'll try to do you suggested...thanks once again...:)
    cheers,
    vidhya

7. vinunagpal

vinunagpal New IL'ite

Hi Mrs Ram,

Whenever my daughter had constipation, my ped advised me to double the amount of sugar I put in her milk. I hope that you give sugar in the milk to your child. You can increase the quantity in case of constipation.

Thanks,

8. vinunagpal

vinunagpal New IL'ite

Hi Vidya,

Thanks for the tips .But my daughet doesn't like egg - neither omlette nor boiled. Anyother alternate to give her protein and the goodness of the egg?

We feed her with orange juice, daliya, khichri, sooji halwa (both sweet and salted), aaloo paratha, dal, vegetable, banana, sweetened curd --- not in one day of course..

In breakfast she loves toast (rusk) dipped in tea. My maid takes care of her, so I cannot watch what she gives her daily....She is 15 mnths old but weigh only 9 kgs...She is hyperactive...

But now she seems to have got bored with all the dishes and I wonder what new to give her now....She loved cornflakes today...I have bought sabudana fromthe market yesterday and am planning to give her its kheer...

Vidya, you have mentioned about giving cabbage and other veg.....but would a 15 mnth kid be able to digest that...she doesn't have teeth so she would just swallow what you are giving her and wont chew....hence i dont give her rice...pls advise on this...

My daughet doesn't like cottage cheese...pls advise which cheese can we give her....in what form and in what quantity....

Is it good to give her maggie sometimes (a small quantity)?

So many questions, but pls try to reply

9. vidhya parani

hi vinu,

i'll try to answer all ur ques...
    1. if ur DD doesnt like eggs plain, u may try to make a mild egg curry with some gravy and give it along with kichri or chapati...

2.the list of foods that u already give itself is very healthy...

3.u may try giving toast dipped in milo or junior horlicks instead of tea...we can keep them away from the taste of tea or coffee for as long as possible...right..

4. 9 kg seems little low for 15 mnths....uma weighed 9 kg when she was 10 mnths...u might ask ur ped for advice on this....

5. i understand u totally when u say she gets bored with food varieties very fast...even i rack my mind to keep food interesting for my DD

6. i started giving all types of veggies right from when she was 10 mnths old...i boil veggies along with rice and dhal and then grind it in mixie to make a smooth consistency...that was only till she was 1 yr old...now i just mash it with a steel ladle and give...u see babies have very strong gums and they can mash a lot of food items even before having teeth...so no need to wait for all the teeth to appear for giving rice...
    ofcourse the first time u introduce any new vegetable small pieces tend to come out in poop...but the baby's stomach gets used to it in a few days then it will be ok

7.infact ped.s advice to introduce as many veggies possible before 1st bday...otherwise by 2 yrs old, they form strong tastes in food then introducing a new vegetable will be difficult...

8. if ur DD doesnt chew food yet, u can try giving her some biscuits by eating which she'll learn to bite and chew...

9. there are lots of varieties of cheeses...for children under 2 it is better to give cheese made from pasteurised milk...u can give britannia or amul cheese singles...before buying just check label if it is made from pasteurised milk...also it should be full fat cheese and not low fat. one slice a day should be enough...

10. if u give maggie noodles, maybe u can make it with fresh cut vegetables and ur own masala instead of the one that comes with the packet because it contains artificial flavour enhancer...

finally, one word of advise, please try to minimise the sugar and salt u add to her milk and other food...we indians are especially prone to diabetes and hypertension...lets give our babies a healthy taste in food unlike our own preferences...so that they will have lesser chances of lifestyle based diseases later on..just my personal idea...u may differ!

hope i replied to all ur ques...
    all the best!

10. msquare

msquare Senior IL'ite

try giving lots of water for constipation problem. i see my kid having smooth bowel movement as soon as she drinks a glass of plain water. hope this helps.