1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Toddler and preschooler foods

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by Ami, Dec 24, 2005.

1. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

This is how I make cream of XXX soups (any veg will do) - Fry onions in a little butter, add mashed potatoes (1 or 2) and finely chopped (use a food processor) vegetable like broccoli, carrot, spinach etc. Add a little water. Once cooked, put the whole thing in a blender and add some whole milk and blend until smooth and creamy. Season to taste. If carrot soup, I also add ginger to the onions. With some toasted bread, it is a great dinner not to mention very healthy!

To make fruit smoothies, mix whole milk, some plain yogurt (store bought may be milder and less sour) and some fresh fruit (I usually do bananas or strawberries), and blend till creamy. You can add sugar if you like . Drizzle some strawberry/caramel/chocolate syrup on top to look pretty... If you like you can a little bit of vanilla flavor too.

To tell you the truth, more than my son, I like these :)

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  2. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

HI pavarun...

Sounds yummy... thanks for sharing...

3. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

moms,

I have 2 doubts:

1. My 3.5 yr old loves to eat roti dough. Whenever I make dough for roti (or puri) he'll somehow smell it and will eat it raw. I tell him it's not good but he'll not listen. Is it harmful? What do you think?
    2. He has a sudden passion for dried apricots. He eats more than 10 in a day (at one shot). Is it too much?

Latha

4. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Latha,

Don't know about the apricots, but P loves to eat raw chapathi dough. I don't think it is harmful, though. Maybe not everyday, but once in a while...

5. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Thanks Sindhu. I make chapathi only once or twice a week. And everytime i have to make extra dough for this chap. May be he has also taken after my father. My appa loves to eat raw dough... vadai, adai, chapathi etc.,bonk

Latha

6. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Latha - I love chappathi dough too and so far as i know I used to eat it all the time as a kid and nothing happened to me :)

V.

7. shvap_786

shvap_786 Gold IL'ite

hi latha , vanathi, pavarun..

even nagla used to have... her teacher asked to give chappati dough to play so that it give muscle strength to hands and fingers.. but when ever i give her she first try to eat only... like her dad... from vanathi words.. without worry i can give i think

8. vidhyalakshmid

vidhyalakshmid IL Hall of Fame

Hi Latha,
    My elder sister used to eat chappati dough a lot. Whenever she prepares
    she finishes quarter of it. I think it won`t do any harm.
    Regarding apricots too many may lead to loose stool.
    2 or 3 will relieve constipation.

9. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Thank you Vidya. Now I have arranged a deal with my son to eat 2 small balls of dough and play with 2 small.. the thing is he eats the dough and then dinner is refused:) also dry fruits season is gone. now he wants only biscuits with specific ingredients;)

Latha

10. NidhiA

NidhiA Junior IL'ite

At 16 mo.s age, for upset stomach I used to try rasam rice with mild rasam and nicely done rice.

If not upset stomach, upma with all vegetables and also chapathi with some curry in between like even leafy veg.s was liked by my kid.