1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Toddler Acted Different In A Situation

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by uma321, Jun 7, 2016.

1. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

Background:

My son is 2 years old and we recently changed him to new daycare (last week). As expected, he was not happy and has been crying and not eating lunch.

The weekend came and he was a little sick (normal cold). He didn't go to daycare yesterday due to sickness even though he became normal yesterday afternoon. The previous night he hardly slept due to nose congestion.

He had been asking us to take him to the park all day. It was too hot to go to the park in the afternoon. We went to his doctor in the morning, another place in the afternoon and quick shopping in the evening before heading to the park. We didn't go to his usual park last evening.

Issue:

There is a kids splash pad in the new park that was a little far from where we sat. We intentionally sat there to avoid him seeing the splashpad. He somehow saw the splashpad and wanted to go and play over there. Since he had been sick and just was normal for few hours, we decided to leave the place without letting him play in the water.

On the way home, he was very upset and as soon as we reached home he didn't want to come out of the car and was throwing tantrum.

Incident:

We removed him shoe and to calm him down I switched on the TV. However, he was VERY VERY UPSET and decided to run like a mad man to the garage. On the way he fell down and rolled twice. I don't think he even realized that. I rushed and picked him up. then again he ran to the garage, picked up his shoe and started running to the road. I was shouting at my husband to hold him before he reaches the road. We decided to take him to our regular park and he was still a little upset and didn't want to come out of stroller for a while. He didn't even want to play in the park.

He never acted this way before and is such a good boy. He is very attached to us (me especially). This incident upsets me to no end. I don't know what triggered him to react this way.

Do you see any problem here? Has it every happened to your kids? Is it normal for a 2 years old to act this way?

2. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

3. jskls

jskls IL Hall of Fame

Very normal. Dont worry. Heard of Terrible two's, terrific threes, horrible fours - list is endless. Every age has its challenge. Please make sure kid doesnt run off to the road. Offlate had been hearing horrifying incidents

uma321, Amica and vaidehi71 like this.
  4. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

It's normal. Kids also feel mood swings and ups and downs. Like adults they may not express their mood swings, so sometimes they behave like that.

uma321 likes this.
  5. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

Thanks so much. It was heartbreaking to see him like this and I was feeling like a failure. Thanks so much. I'll do more research on this.

Does any of you have any inputs on how to deal with daycare changes?

My son went to a daycare for 10 months till March. In laws were with us and wanted to spend time with him. So, we kept him home for couple of months and now he is starting a new daycare from last week.

He has been crying everyday in the new daycare and I'm equally upset putting him through this situation. How can we make him feel better? The daycare is great and teachers hold him when he is upset. I talk to him about the school and the need to go to school. He has his lovey and his favorite water bottle with him. Still he cries most of the time there and doesn't eat lunch. I'm very much worried whether it will affect him in the long run.

6. uma321

uma321 Platinum IL'ite

Thnak you jskls for your caution. My husband was standing right there. Else I would have run past him to stop him before he reaches the road.

jskls likes this.
  7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Uma,

I am writing to give you just another perspective. Before that let me assure you that it is just normal behaviour and you getting perturbed is natural. That said, I am going to take a wild guess and say perhaps pampered by grandparents - may be he got used hearing a yes. I am not judging please don't mistake. Now I am sure he is missing grandparents and day cares as we all know have rules. He has to adjust to a new place and new people. I think he is finding it hard to understand and add to that fever, you saying no has resulted in a little tantrum.

I am sure once he is a little more rested, a little more used to the new place he will be back to being himself :)

Rihana, yellowmango and uma321 like this.
  8. diamond1880

diamond1880 Senior IL'ite

would it be fantastic five and sensible sixes an sevens ... i am really praying

Harini73 likes this.
  9. Harini73

Harini73 Platinum IL'ite

I am also joining in your prayers.:triumph::eek:

10. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Op...your child was just cranky and throwing a big tantrum.
    probably missing the love and pampering of grandparents vs having to start a new day care routine.
    He will settle down.
    The little good boy is entitled to a bit of tantrum.:rolleyes:
    You also need some stories to tell about your baby.

When my daughters were that age and sick...I used to dress them up in their favorite lehenga cholis and give them all their fineries to play with on the bed. Worked like miracle in keeping them from getting cranky.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
    Gae3 and uma321 like this.