To make good idly

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by sathiapriya, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Tamildownunder

Tamildownunder Bronze IL'ite

I feel that apart from making the batter, how you steam it also will make the difference. In India and in Tamil Nadu people have special vessel made of copper with water filled at the bottom. Inside the vessel, the idli plates will be placed with a thin white cloth spread and the batter will be filled. The vessel will be heated in medium fire and half way through, they used to test whether the idlis have been steamed properly by inserting the butt of the match stick. Here, I apply slight oil on the idli plates and after keeping in a vessel over the gas, I have found optimum time for stopping the steaming. I grind idli rice soaked for over 10 hours and 1/4 of udad dal (not 1/5 as given here) for half an hour. Grinding udad dal properly is the secret for getting soft idlis. If it is ground properly, I have found the paste almost flying. As for grinding rice, it need not be ground to a very fine paste like udad dal and if it is slightly coarse it gives very soft idlis.

2. rs18

rs18 Senior IL'ite

You are absolutely right sir, the way the urad dhall is grinded makes all teh difference. they should come out soft & fluffy ,and as mentioned the rice shd be coarse enough to mix well .

i normally grind urad dhall first after letting it soak for 1/2 hr followed by the rice . i do add salt at the last stage before removing the rice .

It turns well when used in the IDLI PAANAi - using the thin cloth .

3. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi TDU,

Waaw, how much experience you have in 'making soft idly':cool2: As you said grinding the dough is important and perfect to get soft idly. But even with out 'idly paani' or putting thin cloth we can make good idly.
    Even with out idly plates, we can prepare like 'kanchepuram idly' by pouring
    the dough in small cups or tumblers. Or otherwise we can pour the dough in a greased 'cooker thatu' also like 'dockas'.:yes:

4. Tamildownunder

Tamildownunder Bronze IL'ite

I just wanted to mention finer points. As many of you have said that the udad dal has to be ground first which is correct I feel since it is easier to remove and does not stick to the walls of the mixie or grinder as much as the rice paste. But, the most important thing is as soon as the udad paste is removed salt should be added to it immediately. This is because it takes sometime for the rice to be ground and during that time if salt is not added to udad paste it gets reduced in volume (in Tamil we say 'kunri poidum') and subsequent fermentation will not be good with the result the idlis will not be soft. One other pointer for a good idli (soft idli) to have got steamed is that once it is steamed it will get a hemi-spherical shape. If it is flat, then the idli will not be soft.

People have asked about the use of Basmati rice. In my opinion, Basmati rice is not suitable when cooked it tends to remain as individual dhana (dhanedhane pe kanewale ki namm liqua hai, for that basmati rice is suited:-D ). For idli, the rice paste should get mixed nicely with udad paste for good fermentation and so the paste from basmati rice may not get mixed nicely with udad paste.

Regarding fermentation, the mixed banter of rice and udad dal should be kept in a big vessel allowing room for growth in volume with fermentation. When we leave it overnight, many a times next day morning I have observed the banter overflowing from the vessel. But, if you mix it again the growth is arrested and afterwards you need not worry.

5. ketal

ketal Bronze IL'ite

Hi TDU
    We are Try
    But ? is means IDLI PAANAi

1 cup idli rice
    1 cup sada rice
    1cup urad dal this is correct pl send to me correct map
    How many time sock dal and rice
    ketal

6. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

dear sunkan, i soak urad and rice separately overnight and with this method i get soft idlis. Your method sounds very good. One question i have is shd i also add methi seeds (as i normally do now) to the urad or no? pls explain so i can try your method next time. thanks! Latha

7. geethamani

geethamani New IL'ite

I soak Urud dhal I cup with 1/2 tsp of methi for 30 min. and rice 4cups along with starter paste1tbsp( the left over of the previous iddli batter, as in US this helps to ferment faster because of cold weather) for 1 hour. I grind the urud dhal first for 15 min and I add rice to that( no need of taking the urud dhal paste)and grind it for 40 min in wet grinder. Allow it to frment for 8hrs in the oven, only with the lights on.
    I get perfect iddlis Fool Proof
    Geetha:idea

8. Eljaype

Eljaype Bronze IL'ite

Hi,

As Sunkanji and Satya said I also use 5 parts of rice, 1 part of dal and 1/2 tsp methi seeds . My Idlis come out super soft, as they say " like the cheeks of a new born baby.

You have to use the water in which you soak the dal for grinding... I clean the dal and fenugreek seeds / methi seeds together, wash it and then soak for 20 minutes. Soak the rice separately for about 2-3 hours. I use Idli rice available here.
    Grind them, dal first and the rice next .Add the batters and mix well with salt and keep aside for 8 hours. I get the fermented batter the next day morning ready to make idlis in the morning. I also use the same batter for making dosas.

9. Eljaype

Eljaype Bronze IL'ite

Re: hi

Hi,

Since you are in the states I am wondering how to tell you to preserve.
    What I do is to grind the batter, mix them with salt and divide into two parts. Preserve one half inside the refrigerator and ferment the other half. I keep adding the unfermented batter to the fermented one as and when it gets over.
    When I finish using half the fermented batter I add the unfermented batter and then return it to the refrigerator. It comes out right for me. I can make dosas with the remaining dough also.
    Always use the fresh batter for Idlis and little old batter for making Dosas. You can make Uthhappams also.

One more thing is that "do not add water after fermenting the dough , if you are making idlis" As and when you finish grinding the batter add the required amount of water and mix it well. I always use a spoon to mix the dough and do not use hand at all.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  10. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

Hi Banu,

I found this recipe from Chithramma under Festival recipes. I'm copy pasting what she has given:

Pacharisi (raw rice idli): for this, follow my Idli recipe. Only change is instead of 4 cups of parboiled rice, 3 cups of raw rice must be used. Do not ferment for more than 10-12 hrs.

Also you can find one in this link: Pacharesi Idli for varalakshmi pooja( Raw Rice Idlies) « The ‘yum’ blog

Latha