1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

To go on a fast - mahashivaratri

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sureshmiyer, Mar 3, 2011.

1. sureshmiyer

sureshmiyer Silver IL'ite

Yesterday was Mahashivaratri, so it was an opportunity for me to go on a fast after a long time. What I referred to are the fast trains, which I am never able to board due to the heavy rush during peak office hours. It was a Bank holiday. State Governments were on leave including the Sessions Court and High Court. Even some private offices were kept closed. Due to some past sins committed by us, Central Government offices in Maharashtra were not given a holiday. Otherwise I would have watched Tannu weds Mannu. I traveled in the comfort of a Window seat in a fast local from Dombivli to Mumbai. Many were indulging in a fast in our office on account of Mahashivratri. I was one of the few exceptions. I have never been in a fast except one time during my younger days on the eve of Vaikunta Ekadasi. I pledged to observe a full day fast for Lord Balaji. All day long, it made me realize that my craving for food overshadowed my devotion to the Lord. From that day, I gave up the idea of fasting. A day’s fast may be good for the body only if we don’t feel like eating, otherwise it can be counterproductive.

Some People keep specific days for fasting like Mondays. What happens is that they eat on Sundays, even if they do not have appetite just because they have a fast on Monday. They determinedly go on a fast on Monday, even if they feel hungry. It makes no sense. I make it a point to take light food before going to the temple as it often takes several hours to take Darshan. We Indians have the habit of visiting temples only during the crowded hours and leave the temple abandoned on other days. I cannot understand this logic. People stand in queues for hours. The irony is that while one person will be standing to pray the Lord for achieving bigger ambitions in return for a dakshina of Rs.1000/-, the other person standing very next to him may be praying for the same Rs.1000/- for fulfilling his bare necessities.

On my part, I visit Lord Shiva, the day after Mahashivratri, when the nearby temple has almost a deserted look. I leave Mahashivratri to the most ardent devotees who have priority over the Lord than me. The rest of the days are for me.

Speaking about fasting, the Maharashtrians have a unique way of fasting. They feast on Sabudana khichdi, sweet kachori and all the stuff which are exempted and can be eaten on such fasting days. It gives them variety. All the time is spent talking about fasting and it gains precedence over other things. I tend to think of those people who sleep everyday with hunger in their stomach and live in deep poverty. What significance will Mahashivratri hold for them?

Now that Mahashivratri is over, all the offices will be open. The rest of the office crowd will come back to occupy all the available inch of space in fast trains. It is time for me to give them space and catch the next slow train.

2. SARASVADIVU

SARASVADIVU Silver IL'ite

Hello suresh,

Really a thought-provoking one;
    Was touched by the lines, "I tend to think of those people who sleep everyday with hunger in their stomach and live in deep poverty. What significance will Mahashivratri hold for them?"

Great one!!:thumbsup

:cheers
    Saras

3. sureshmiyer

Devotion to Humanity is Devotion to God

thanks Saras for your lovely comments

cheers
    suresh

4. Keerti16

Keerti16 Silver IL'ite

ha ha..Indians always want to do a particular thing at a particular time. Its weird I agree. Are other times not auspicious enough? interesting topic.

5. sureshmiyer

thanks for your comments

cheers
    suresh

6. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Suresh
    I am amazed how you went into my thoughts! You are my soul brother!
    Again so many bull's-eye statements! Made me think; especially the 1000.00 donations we are ready to give to a temple rather than help some one who really needs it. How true.
    When I was a child my grandfather used to fast on festival days and it used to be toture with good smell emanating form the food but unreachable till my grandpa finished all the slokas.
    Later my mother-in-law appeared like a Goddess when she insisted we all had good but light breakfast like idlis, before cooking special meals because it may be close to lunch time for pooja. I found I could concentrate more on the prayers with food in my tummy.
    One of Music teachers also told this in a different way - a woman should never fast especially on auspicous days becasue she is Ambal and Ambal should never be hungry! Since then I adopted that as my family value. Needless to mention my music teacher also appeared like Goddess to me.
    Sorry for the long feedback; but this was one of many pet peeves in life-and you gave a channel to express my views.
    Thanks for this wonderful post; looking forward to more.

7. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Please let me clarify my stance before my words are mistaken. I am not against fasting if taken up voluntarily by an individual. Infact I heard it helps in detoxification etc. I am yet to try (can't is a better way to put it :))
    My only peeve is forced fasting - just as you stated-
    "A day’s fast may be good for the body only if we don’t feel like eating, otherwise it can be counterproductive"

I am glad I could clarify this.
    Thanks

8. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

Kamala:

On most days, I am quite successful in fasting between breakfast and lunch, lunch and dinner, and dinner and breakfast.

If my wife is out of town, I fast even more than this. [I guess, you will call this forced fasting :)]

:)

9. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Suresh,
    Fasting on auspicious days is up to the individual..and their strength of mind is also tested on these days, isn't it :)
    While I was reading about this line, in particular, 'what significance does Sivarathri hold for those go to sleep in hunger everyday' reminded of the movie song, "naan sirithal Deepavali, naalum inge Ekadasi'..
    Your question shows your concern to the fellow beings..but there is no answer for it. Harsh reality!
    But visiting temples only on auspicious days and desert it on other days, means that poor Lord has no power on other days...this should change, in order to avoid over-crowding and also some mishaps.. as you had pointed out.

10. sureshmiyer

thanks for this comment :)

cheers
    suresh