1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

To Err Is Human; To Forgive Is Divine

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by GoogleGlass, Mar 16, 2017.

1. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

To err is human; to forgive is divine

It is a pretty straight forward saying uttered by one Pope Alexander. Popes are godly messengers and they rightly said so. God is one that is believed to forgive us of all our sins, committed and yet to commit too isn't it? (why is then thirupathi hundi overflowing?) :)

Who else do you think would do so? Parents of course hands down. As children and why not even as adults we keep committing sins of varying degrees. It is our parents and we as parents tend to forgive children off their mistakes.

Can we expect our spouses to forgive us? Definitely not. They turn CBI officers without uniform and keep digging further and further till all our ancestral connections are exhausted and nothing more is left to be examined for a little mistake that was committed knowingly or unknowingly. :)

We will be going to temples, churches, mosques, where we are preached to forgive. But those are just rituals to be forgotten isn’t it? Many of the good things those that are taught there are of no significance in our day to day life.

We have all been trained well to adhere to certain things only when they fetch us some benefits. We have become so materialistic these days.

It is not a general yardstick to forgive one for all mistakes that are committed. If we do so then there is no point being divine these days. Better leave this world and join the divine.

So there is a need to classify the sins as required. The ones that might affect us directly, the ones that might affect the family, friends or society. Depending on the nature of the damage, we need to come to a conclusion whether to forgive or not.

The heinous crimes committed, the fraudulent politicians, the ones amongst us who indulge in bribing or receive bribes and many other such sins are not be forgiven at all for sure.

So we need to classify and act accordingly and just not follow what was said blindly. External help needs to be sought if one cannot identify a mistake or sin to decide whether to forgive or not. It depends if the source is sin free or not. :)

It is all situational as we can see these days if you have money or power you can employ the best lawyer to get you out. It is so essential that as individuals we need to assess the situation and act accordingly. Experience would only give us that ability if we are ready to learn from our mistakes.

Just because someone is ready to forgive us doesn’t mean that we keep repeating our mistakes. As a trainee for a known duration my supervisor would tend to forgive me and teach me how to do a job without a mistake. Once I am confirmed, he may not forgive me for sure. If he does then he might not last long in his position.

If as a cashier I err in counting cash of a customer, can I expect the customer to forgive me???

In my opinion To err is human; to forgive is divine in all entirety would suit in our relationships at home in friends circle and definitely not in corporate or government setups, which might turn to be a disaster to the society, if forgiven.

Let us not err in forgiving those that don't deserve to be forgiven and join the divine...

Anu14, Rajeni, sangeethakripa and 4 others like this.

2. Scorpio707

Scorpio707 Platinum IL'ite

Oh GG why :)

Not sure if I got you alright :smile:. But will say this - sins and crimes are infinite. I suppose classifying them into various categories and then a clause to 'Forgive or not' would seem like an impossible feat to God also :D .

As for me I forgive easily but will never forget :expressionless:.

periamma and GoogleGlass like this.
  3. Doree

Doree Platinum IL'ite

Nice write-up GoogleGlass. So classify the crimes and then decide on forgiveness? liked the way you had approached the topic and your take on what to forgive and What not to..

Intention is central point to Forgiveness and forgiveness works only for relationships. Forgiving is good for our emotional health. Its easy to say forgive and forget but extremely hard to practice.

GoogleGlass and periamma like this.
  4. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear GG,
    So, sins have to be classified, make a tabular column about which can be forgiven or not and punishment also accordingly. An app can be created and downloaded also! Good idea.
    Between spouses it is completely different concept. Get angry or fight or not forgive on some issues like forgetting birthdays and anniversaries......temporarily they may not forgive but if some one sees bigger picture isn't it the best relationship? Any mistake can be rectified with a bunch of roses!
    Syamala

GoogleGlass likes this.
  5. Rajeni

Rajeni Moderator Platinum IL'ite

Dear GG, Nice Write-up! You got me thinking.. You know self reflection kind of stuff! Like, where do I stand in giving forgiveness and seeking forgiveness.
    On the Classification part, though its so against the divine rule, we are forced to classify and judge the impact in our current competitive world, even with relatives and friends, only the immediate family an exception. Else, we would be taken for granted.
    And, there is also the difference between forgiving and saying Enough is enough. We may forgive but we just have to keep certain people out of lives to save our own sanity!

In bible, when a disciple asks Jesus how many times to forgive - whether it is seven times? He answers, "Seventy times seven times" And, Every time I hear it, I am like, "Why God? Why are you making me feel so guilty? I can't.. I will be taken for granted, can't you see?" Lol! And he forgives me for that, so divine and I repeat it again, so human :)

GoogleGlass and periamma like this.
  6. kavithas2217

kavithas2217 Bronze IL'ite

Nice post GG. But there are so many sins in the world now that may be we can create a data base and run reports to see which can be forgiven, which can be let go of with a warning and which to be punished.

There is one sin which can sabotage husband-wife relation ship i.e. cheating. Let us see how we will react if we know that our spouse has cheated on us.

periamma and GoogleGlass like this.
  7. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear GG,
    Sins to be classified and then to be decided whether to forgive the sinner or not according to the intensity of the sin.

The best thing is to forgive and forget and that will make the person who committed the sin feel humbled.

PS

GoogleGlass likes this.
  8. GoogleGlass

nobody gets me right scorps :)

mem loss is must - try :)

it was a speech for a friend of mine for a training - had just short time and scribbled - she was super appreciated aam :):):)

periamma, Scorpio707 and Doree like this.
  9. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear GG,

Forgiving is not a level of leniency granted to the sinner and it is as rightly pointed out by @Doree is good for emotional health. Every time when we are hurt by someone's words or actions, the reactions that happen inside of us is enormous affecting both our body and mind significantly. If hurtful words or actions are considered as earth quake and the emotions associated with that can be considered as Tsunami. When earthquake happens only for a few seconds, Tsunami can drown us taking our life away.

When Dylaan Roof came for a bible study into a black church, everyone showered their love to him for an hour teaching important lessons out of the Bible. An hour later, he pulled out a gun and shot all of them to death. When he came to the court, everyone of the kith and kin of those who died in the Church pardoned the killer. It is not disrespect to the one who died but for the rest to live in peace with the action taken by Dylaan Roof. They knew the State Attorney will ask for death sentence but they pardoned the killer to derive peace in their mind. Some believes communicating it find a closure and some prefers to keep the forgiving part to themselves.

Pardoning helps not to have a sick mind influence your mind.

Viswa

GoogleGlass and Doree like this.
  10. GoogleGlass

rightly said doree - extremely gud for emo & phy health

Doree likes this.