1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

To- Do List For A Trouble Free Hygienic Kitchen

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by Anusowmyan, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Anusowmyan

Anusowmyan Gold IL'ite

Of all the places in a home, the kitchen is the most used one, obviously for preparing meals three times a day, more than that for preparing snacks, coffee, Tea for sudden guests and other extra activities. In this scenario, chance of spilling is marginally high. Flour, milk, batter, oil, ghee, water & many spices are being handled. It is surely prone to breed many bacteria. Normal cleaning is done usually after cooking. But that’s not enough to keep the bacteria at bay. Visually clean kitchen may not be hygienically clean, Its’ better to use disinfectants &sanitizer as they kill bacteria and prevent bacterial growth.

*Proper cleaning of chopping boards, knives ,cutlery, plates, cleaning towels and refrigerators and other appliances like coffeemakers, toasters, juicers, mixers & grinders needs to be done.

*Regular service of chimney, dish washer, water filters need to be carried out. Change cooker gaskets, tea filters at their due time. Arrangements should be made with local gas boards for regular checks and servicing of gas stove, gas cylinders and pipes (more attention required if gas is supplied through pipelines in the Apartment). Similar arrangements should be made with electricity board if voltage fluctuation exists, as these may damage the electrical equipment.

*Cleaning hands frequently, replacing the kitchen sponge one in four to five days and washing kitchen cleaning cloth every day ensure hygiene in the kitchen.

* Kitchen sink needs to paid more attention, clean with or pour hot water to unblock drains along with bleaching powder. Bleaching powder is used for cleaning purposes, they are generally alkaline, stabilised solutions of sodium hydro chloride are useful for stained sinks and pans.

* Try to make it a habit to clean the spilled particle as soon as possible to avoid stains & accumulation of bacteria.

*Clean the stove after the day’s work with cleaning agents to remove stickiness. At regular intervals all the bars and racks should be removed, immersed in hot water with a detergent scrubbed cleanly. Dried and put back in place on the stove. The gas jets should be lit to check that none are blocked. The inside of the ovens and oven racks should be cleaned with slightly warm water along with detergent or mild abrasive if necessary. In case of extreme dirt or grease on the stove or oven, detergents or cleansing agents may be used, but thorough rinsing must take place afterwards. Oven and refrigerator’s doors should not be slammed as this is liable to cause damage.

*Wipe the floor with disinfectants. Try to keep the workplace dry as for as possible. Soiled taps should be washed or wiped clean with a chemical agent. After any kind of cleaning, the soiled taps should always be lightly greased. Keep the windows open after the cooking is finished. Air and sunlight prevents bacterial growth. Dust regularly the ceiling fans & exhaust fans to keep away dust particles.

* Once in a while clean the utensils in hot water after using detergents or soaps. Care in the kitchen aids in the good health of the family.

2. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

Oh..my.
    That much cleaning ?! How many DIL's or housemaids should one have ? Who'd marry my son, if she knew I have a running battle with bacteria?

While reading the OP, I was doing the mental checklist of the cleaning fluids, disinfecting gels, and sanitizing wetwipes we have in the house for this and that. Useful post.

One thought always nags me in all this cleaning. If we cannot measure the amount of bacteria before and after cleaning, what is the point of cleaning ?

In TV commercials, the bacteria are happy, and jumping, and even line-dancing, before cleaners come and attack them; and after that they all have a shrunken head, droopy eyes/mouth and pop off into the sink or just plain vanish. We just trust that is what is happening on/to our floors, countertops and everywhere else.
    This reminded me of how new Indians find it hard to rent a flat in Singapore. Landlords think that Indians (and PRC's) cook too much, too frequently, and too many things that are quite aromatic. The locals eat out a lot, or order food in.
    PRC -stands for people's republic chinese

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    SpritualSoul likes this.
  3. Anusowmyan

Anusowmyan Gold IL'ite

cleaning minimize bacterial growth, though not fully destroyed.

4. shravs3

shravs3 IL Hall of Fame

Sometimes your words remind me of an old IL member known for her witty humour !

5. rachaputi

rachaputi Platinum IL'ite

I wouldn't have needed any workout if done like this :facepalm:

SpritualSoul likes this.
  6. Anusowmyan

Anusowmyan Gold IL'ite

Oh! really...
    thanks for the reply.