1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Tired Of Everything

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by tryingtoworkout, Oct 31, 2017.

1. tryingtoworkout

tryingtoworkout New IL'ite

Hello all, our country breathes and survives on ego. I don't see getting out of this whether I stay in India or US

My husband is miser by nature. Only his parents are spared from his cost calculations. He enjoys taking money from my parents. According to my MIL, my parents have got rid of their burden by getting me married. He wants to believe them.

My parents are well off & in-laws and husband don't leave a chance to snub off on my face that since they have so much they should spend. It hurts me to see my parents spending on me & kids. My husband earns well.

Things have changed a bit since last few years. I would rather go hungry than begging to my parents.

Last time when my husband was in India, he invited my parents to US. He told them he will book tickets. Now when they got ready to come, he told to ask my parents to book their own tickets.

My mom is angry. Says you invite us and do not make any provisions. They are coming as tourists and staying with us.

I am sandwiched and confused. It is embarrassing to ask parents to book their own tickets and husband is so adamant he won't budge.

There are no financial problems on both sides. They just want me to suffer. I am so tired. Please help.

2. Naari

Naari Platinum IL'ite

Dear OP,

I am not sure if your husband is supposed to pay for your parents tickets to visit US, even if he invited them. Now if you are earning & wanted to buy their tickets that’s different, but you can’t force your husband to bear the air fare expense.

This works both ways. So, even your parents should not be forced or pressured into spending for you / husband & kids , even if they are wealthy or even Ambanis. They can voluntarily decide to gift you & your family. Going by your husbands logic, it would be a crime for girls’ parents to be wealthy/ well off!

NeetaR, sindmani and nakshatra1 like this.
  3. happydheivanai

happydheivanai Silver IL'ite

Few men’s are like this....worst ...

If ur husband his behaving like this then why ur parents r getting ready.they know about there character right ... now no use of asking ur husband to book because he will not going to do for sure .better ask ur parents to book he ticket or postpone the plan.no other go ur husband will not change,if he book the ticket also he will not spend here.

4. ashneys

ashneys Platinum IL'ite

Going by your post, if your husband does pay for the tickets, he will either get it back 10 times more from your parents or will keep saying that he paid for your parents every single second of his n your life.

Yes he's playing some game in inviting them n saying he will pay for the tickets n refusing at the last minute. But it will be better if he doesn't pay.

Weigh in the pros n cons n then decide.

5. nakshatra1

nakshatra1 Platinum IL'ite

I agree with @Naari . He is not supposed to pay for your parent's tickets. It's true he invited them and proposed to pay, but it's ok if he changed his mind later as it's a huge expenses. If you are not working, then they have to pay for their travel cost. Anyway, you guys are hosting them at your house so it's ok.
    Similarly, why are you taking money from your parents after marriage???? Just because your husband wants, doesn't mean you will just accept it and burden your parents. You have to be strong and say no. It is an exploitation of your parents, and no way should you let it happen.
    I understand your situation, and their mentality- I've seen this. It's really bad in such a situation, girl's parents cannot enjoy their hard earned money in their old age, and they are obligated to spend it on the daughter and SIL, while all the love, care goes to boy's parents, who always pretend to be needy.

Naari likes this.
  6. Amica

Amica IL Hall of Fame

He can't take anything unless they give. Ask your parents to stop supporting you financially.

This is the perfect excuse to stop the flow of resources from your parents. Tell him he has crossed a line.

I don't think it's a good idea for your parents to visit you until you have greater say in the finances of your family. If they visit you now and he makes the trip miserable by refusing to pay for expenses locally, the relationship may suffer irreparable damage. Invite them to visit you when you are working and have your own money to entertain them.

I'm not sure why some responses say your parents should pay for their own tickets.
    A man should keep his word.

7. vaas

vaas Bronze IL'ite

I am surprised reading the answers.
    Y should the parents buy the tickets?
    If the hubby does not want to pay for the tickets, he better not invite them.

I think he is playing games.

In my opinion, ask ur parents to postpone the trip. U should communicate to ur husband that ur parents are hurt by his behavior and they cancelled the trip. U should also make sure u don't take any gifts from ur parents. I bet ur husband would panicked.

I totally understand why ur mom is angry.

8. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

I have a technical kwestyn. When we "invite" someone to come and visit the USofA, we are to provide something called "affidavit of support" for the invitee (malaysian or indian) to get a visitor visa to the USA. In that affidavit, we usually say how much money we got, where we have it stored, etc. etc.
    Has this been done in this miser case ? When he is withdrawing that AofS, then there will be no visit.

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-134.pdf

Dishaa likes this.
  9. Dishaa

Dishaa Gold IL'ite

Hi Op,

1. I totally agree with what "Nonya" is saying about the "Affidavit of Support".

2. For time being request your parents to postpone their trip (considering ur husband and in laws behavior).

3. Next time they say this, give a
    BIG SMILE and get out of that house (carry ur kids) and call up the police stating ur husband and in laws are torturing you for dowry / money.

Next time they will never dare to say and ur husband will definitely call up ur parents at any cost to complain about u (ur point no 2 issue will be resolved)

4. If again he starts misbehaving during ur parents visit give a
    BIG SMILE repeat the point no 3, include with ur parents too in this.

Remember u r a multi tasking Home maker and mother of his kids, Home maker if intends can be a Home wrecker too.... Scare them like anything... whenever u give a SMILE.

Be strong and bold, that's all is needed your status as house wife or working doesn't count in this.

Best wishes....

Angel121 likes this.
  10. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

OP, when you go to India as a family, are you (by you as in you/ your husband) or your parents are buying you a ticket. The answer to this question will give you answer to whether your husband is meant to pay for your parents visit.

Did you stop your parents from giving your husband money? There comes a breaking point for everything and looks like your parents are there right now. A day will come when they will say enough is enough.