Tips

Discussion in 'Krishnaammas Kitchen' started by krishnaamma, Mar 16, 2008.

1. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Crispy, white Potato chips (2)

Peel potatoes.
    Put them in water as whole.
    Heat oil in a pan.
    Make slices over HOT OIL directly.

(If u r afraid, slice just 1 potato. Immediately fry it. Else it will surely turn brown)

Collect fried, white, crispy chips and store it in a tin.

2. krishnaamma

Some more Tips.....

Here are some more tips..........

1. While preparing Oats in MW you can add grated Carrots, grated Cabbage or cut garlic and put salt in that.

Then keep it in the oven and cook asusual.

Remove from the oven and bring it to room temp.

Now add thick butter milk and mix well.

This is very good for sugar patients.

2. When ever you make keer or payasam or sarkarai pongal or Akkara vadisal at the end add some EVAPORATED MILK. That will give more flavour to your dish.

Here in Saudi we will get one company named LUNA, that is the best milk which will come in small tins.

3. After getting Bombay Rava from the shop, it is better to fry immediately and keep it in a container to avoid the insects and warms.

4. Uppma is the easy dish to prepare. Let me tell how to prepare it more easier.

Even your children or husband can prepare with out boreing.
    Asusual you make tempering and put rava in the pan and fry well. Add salt and fry well.

Transfer it to a cooker vessel, and place it in the cooker.
    Pour correct quantity of water in it and place a lid on it. And bring it 2 -3 sounds.
    Remove and mix well. Your Uppma is ready.

No need to have contimues staring and you can prepare this with LESS OIL, which is good for health.

In this way you can prepare Rava Uppma, Rice Rava Uppma, Wheat Rava Uppma and Rava Kitchadi too.

1 person likes this.
  3. krishnaamma

Another Tip For Cleaning Silver Etc.

Here is my tip:

1. To clean Silver items, In big bowl boil water. Cut ALUMINIUM FOIL INTO SMALL PIECES. When the water boils put these pieces in it. Now put your silver vessels in that. Let it boil for few min. Remove and close it for 10 - 15 min.
    Now remove the SHINNING vessels from the water and wipe. iF YOU WANT POLISH IT WITH 'VIBUDI'.

2. To clean brass, copper items use CITRIC ACID ( LEMON CRYSTAL/NIMBU SATH). With out much strain like PULI you can shine your article.

3. You can use fresh lemon juice or lemon's skin to clean the brass and copper items.

4. Peetambari is superb one and another one is ' ROOPERI'. This is a liquid and this will work more than peetambari. Really it is a magic. you just apply it and clean with a cloth. Wash with soap water as ususal. That is all. You can see the brand new silver item. This is for silver items only.

'NO STRAIN - NO GAIN' this is wrong for this ROOPERI

5. You can use SABENA also for cleaning both silver and brass items.

6. Cleaning with a new tooth brush and tooth paste is the best way to remove tarnish from the nook and corner.

7. In Saudi we are getting one dish wash liquid named LUX. That is the best one to clean from the gold to brass,copper etc.,

4. krishnaamma

Some more useful tips :)

1. Generally we make KOLAMS in our houses on function days with wet rice dough. For each and every function we need them and it will be difficult to make it in small quantities.

Every time we will throw the balance dough. To avoid that, after using the dough, pour it in a plate and keep as it is. Or keep it in the sun light.

That will become dry. Make powder by crushing it and keep it in a bottle. When ever you want to make KOLAMS, JUST PUT THIS IN WATER AND MAKE FRESH WHITE DOUGH KOLAM.

To make it more white and to keep the KOLAM for a long time add some Maida flour with that and mix well. Generally I use this for KRISHNA JAYANTHI, to put BHAVAN FEET.:)

Note: Generally if you parepare kolam mavu like this at the time of aadi month, it will be easy to put kolam because aadi month marks the starting of the season of festivals.

2. Put some cardamom in the tea box.

3. can use " anjaraippetti" in puja room to keep 'naivedhyams'

5. krishnaamma

1. You can use Old news papers instead of Tissue paper or Paper hand towels. (In India Tissue paper is costly and we are not using Tissues like western countries.) Cut News papers in to 4 and keep it handy in the kitchen. This will be very useful to clean unwanted oil from the stove top or to clean anything.

2.You can use old news papers to clean the silver articles, lamps etc., First clean the silver lamps by using old news papers and use VHIBUDI and clean the silver lamp again. Again clean it with the news paper. No need to water. Your lamps will shine.

You can use this to clean brass lamps or brass articles also.

3.My mother use to keep oil cans in the kitchen, and it is a bore and difficult job to clean them. So I use to keep the Oil plastic pouch in a vessel, by putting one news paper under that.

So after opening the pouch we can keep it in the vessel, and we can throw the pouch after using it. Even the vessel in which you are keeping the pouch will also be clean because of the news paper. Next time put new news paper and again put a new oil pouch in that.

Like this I am keeping oil for the past 20 years. And in the same vessel I will keep Sunflower oil and Gingerly oil. For daily use you can pour the oil in small containers like this. See the photo.

A. It is a Mayonnaise bottle. After using the Mayonnaise, I cleaned the bottle and using like this.
    B. I bought from the shop.

4.To take dosa easily: Cut small onion or big in to two and by using one fork, keep it in the oil. Before every dosa apply it on the tava and make dosa. For those who will not eat onion, or if you are going to make dosa on a VIRATHAM DAY, use Brinjal's head instead of onion and make dosa.

[​IMG]

6. krishnaamma

To keep green chilies fresh for more days

To keep the green chilies fresh wash them remove the head, put them in a food storage cover or a zipper locker cover and keep them in the FREEZER.

when ever you need take from the pack. You can store even more than 6 months.

[​IMG]

In this attached picture you are seeing Green Chilies which I kept 35 days before. I think you can see ice on it. After you remove from the fridge, immediately you cut (it will be some what hard and you can even break it with your fingers.) and use for sambar or any thing.

7. chetavani50

chetavani50 Gold IL'ite

Re: To keep green chilies fresh for more days

Wow!!!! Very nice tips madam.
    Please clarify my doubt :
    Can we make crispy rave dosas on an iron tava? Does it come out smoothly without breaking ? I have tried many times but I will not get perfect rava dosa on an iron tava. Any tips for that please......

8. krishnaamma

Re: To keep green chilies fresh for more days

Thanks ma, Yes we can make good rava dosa in an iron thava :) In hotels they are making dosa in iron thava only na? :)

Here is the tip: Cut one onion and keep aside in a plate by pouring little oil in it. first rub the dosa tawa with the onion and spread oil fully. then make dosa , surely you will get full dosa with out fail.

Ninga uppumaa kinddamal full dosaiyagave edukkalaam :)

1 person likes this.
  9. varhem

varhem IL Hall of Fame

dear krishnaamma
    can you please post recipe of dosas that we get in bangalore.they taste different and looks different too.

10. krishnaamma

which one ? set dosa or neer dosa? and also ask your quires in the sticky thread :) OK vaa?