1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Tips to manage 7 months old baby alone

Discussion in 'Infants' started by upfsabari, Jun 12, 2015.

1. upfsabari

upfsabari IL Hall of Fame

Hi Friends,

IL helps and helped me a lot in many things. Now, I'm back with another thread to get tips on how to manage 7 months old alone.

DH leaves to office by 8.30 am and comes back by 8.30 pm. He helps me if DS wakes up in the night and also takes care of him in the morning once he is awake. I can't expect any more help from DH right now.

LO is super duper active and sleeps (1/2 hr in the morning, 1.30 hrs mid morning, 1/2 hr in the afternoon, 1/2 hr in the evening). Mostly he sleeps from 8 pm to 6.30 am. And I feed him at night twice. He has rolled over in the 5th month and now just trying to be in all four. He was sleeping in cradle till now and I'm in the process of shifting him to bed during daytime. Night he is co-sleeping with me and DH.

I have started semi solids and I'm giving idli/dosa with milk in the morning, banana - mid morning, rice with dal n veg - afternoon and steamed n pureed apple in the evening. I'm introducing a new veggie/cereal once in a week and rotate the menu whenever possible.

I'm bathing him daily around 10.30 am with mom till now. And my mom helps me in preparing baby food freshly daily along with taking care of my DS.

Recently we both had chicken pox and I've been separated from him for around 15 days. After that period onwards he wants me near him all the time. If he doesn't see me, he will start crying. Once I come n pick him up only he stops crying. Sometimes if I speak from wherever I'm, he will keep quiet. Also he doesn't want to lay on the floor for more than 10 mins. He is ok with bed for 20 mins. (Previously even in floor he used to lay for around 30 mins) He wants me to hold always. He is afraid that I might leave him n go due to the separation during pox. I need to build the trust that I wont go anywhere nu. I had quit work also because I don't want to leave him.

Most probably from next week I've to manage him alone.

Now my questions are,

how to manage to go to loo n all when he is awake? till now mom will be near him.
    how to bath him alone n how to keep things ready to bath when he is awake?
    he seems to be bored with his toys and wants something new or he wants to go out or atleast to the balcony. I am unable to stand n hold him for a long time in the balcony. Going to the park in the evening is not always possible as it might rain anytime in Bangalore.
    what n all I need to prepare beforehand so that I can spend max time with my DS?
    how to prepare dinner when he wants me to hold all the time?

Requesting all the experienced mom's to provide their valuable tips.

2. upfsabari

Tagging @guesshoo, @hrastro, @yellowmango, @rakhii, @ramyaramani, @sanjuruby3, @crayoness.

3. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

I used to prepare (to some extent) food in advance (and storing in fridge/freezer) or then taking aside (before adding spices/salt) from the food I prepared for ourself. Banana I fed by peeling on slice of the skin and then "scraping" with the spoon and fed directly. I fed oatmeal (or other porridge) in the morning and evening. I also used now and then ready made food especially when travelling/going out etc as they are safe and easy to feed. Tried to go out twice per day for walks (baby in stroller or sling) but that is of course related to the climate. Babies tend to become cranky if they are inside the whole day.

I gave bath only 2-3 per week as my babies had very dry skin. Washed hands, neck and bottom part several times during the day. As I was always alone with my babies I learned how to go to shower and loo with the baby. I had a car seat and put the baby so that he could see me when I had a shower. If you use a public restroom I learned how to carry the baby and wiggle out of my pants without dropping the baby :D. I also used the car seat when I was cooking (so that the baby could see me) or carried in a sling (not when handling hot items).

When the baby was able to sit by himself I had him sitting at the dining table with us. Gave a piece of bread/veggies to chew while we ate and fed him at the same time. Gradually moved away from baby food and at 12 months mainly eating the same food as the rest of the family.

Why did you have to be away from the baby while having chicken pox? It is very traumatic for a baby to be separated from the primary caregiver and it will take time for him to recover.

It is kind of boring to stay at home alone with the baby so tried to arrange activities, going to the playground/parks, malls, meeting friends for a coffee, visiting other families with babies.

1 person likes this.
  4. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@upfsabari Hope you both are feeling better now. Your son has missed you for 15 days. So it is natural to be clingy.

Answering your questions:

1. When you have to go, you have to go. You will now learn how to be quick in the bathroom. In fact you might even set a record! :) Jokes apart. Always keep him on the floor when you go to the bathroom. Leaving him on the bed with pillows for safety will not work any more. Chances are he will scream and come near the bathroom door and wait.
    2. This is what I did: I used to keep him on the floor with some toys and then quickly run to set things up. I am assuming you have water heater. I always set the water at the end. With respect to his clothes, I used to carry him and do it. As I did each activity, I would tell him what I am doing. Eventually when he realized it was bath time he used to bring his towel and diaper!
    3. Do activities like cooking etc. before LO wakes up in the morning. I used to cook breakfast and lunch in the morning itself. Rice alone I used to keep closer to lunch time. Night dinner would be something that required minimal work (mostly something with batter). Cleaning I used to do during LO's morning nap time. Yes I wake up early. But I nap when my LO naps in the afternoon. This has made him sleep better too!
    4. Books can be introduced now. Nothing elaborate. Just something with colorful pictures. Peek-a-boo, tickling are all great games at this age. If possible take him for a stroll. It could be the simplest thing as buying vegetables. Every interaction enhances their knowledge.

One thing I never did was stand with my LO in the balcony. There were no grills and I always feared him doing a sudden move.

sindmani, guesshoo and upfsabari like this.
  5. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

hi OP

no matter how much help you have and how much planning we do, raising a human is very difficult. I still can not manage more than an hour with my 2 hrs and start panicking my H is away for > 1 hr. So I am not an expert but still some experiences I can share.

1. While cooking small or quick stuff, I put her in walker in kitchen. She enjoys her moving here and there. I have to keep talking to her, putting snacks in her mouth and watch her.

Sometimes I strap her on high chair with snacks, toys.. again keep talking to her.

2. When I have go to restroom@home, I just go. I try to make it quick and keep screaming from restroom that I am here..I am coming. She cries..many times. Just be sure baby is on safe place.. like on floor with pillows on back or center of bed with pillows( if not mobile yet). For longer trips, many times I put in her walker and bring her in bathroom or outside with keep doors open. When she was small for rocker, I used to put her rocker next to me in bathroom with my hand/foot approach.. Yes I have no shame.

When restroom@outside, I have learnt to manage with her and one hand. At one time, I had to literally put(actually sit her) her on restaurants bathroom floor...no option.

3. I hardly bath when she is awake. If i do, it has to be v quick... with her in walker in bathroom, keep peeing out of curtain and no shame in coming out in towel.

4. For cooking, I think try to cut everything when you have help. Cooking can still be done with baby in hand or near.

5. When nothing works, playing rhymes on tab/cellphones. Before her birth, I had planned of never giving any electronics to my child but did not work.

6. Keep small snacks/puffs around. Put some toys aside and keep rotating. Get some pic books. Also you can give colored plastic utensils to play.

7. Put some chair in balcony for longer balcony trips.

8. Bathing is the easiest one. I usually bathe her alone. Do you have bath tub for baby? They are very safe. Keep everything ( towel, soap, oil ) ready and in vicinity.
    I let her cry when she is alone on bed etc and I have to do stuff.

One thing I always do when I do other chores: Make sure baby is on safe place and Keep talking in (fake) high energy from where ever I am.

Do not worry. Slowly you will get into habit. When my mother was leaving, I had thought I can never manage.

2 people like this.
  6. hrastro

hrastro Platinum IL'ite

I returned home (alone) after 3 months at my parents'. My son was 5 months old at the time.

With several complications in my pregnancy and delivery and multiple ICU trips, my parents had to come to my place for delivery and could move me to their place only when my baby was 2 months old.

So, my kitchen had been used by temporary cooks and sisters and SILs and cousins and my DH and my house was a complete disaster. Although clean and germ free, I had no idea where anything was !

The first week was quite tough - but then my brother's wife stayed at my place for 3 days at that time. She was newly married and totally fascinated by the antics of my son. So I told her - look after him, call me if he cries or is wet etc (I used cloth diapers only)

I used this time to re-arrange my entire home, bed, kitchen area so that if required, I could mix a bottle of milk with a single hand in the middle of the night with a crying baby in the other hand! Or change his clothes! Or BF him! Till he was a year old, I BFed him - so it was fine!
    After that, every single night, I would keep a sterilized bottle on the night stand and one glass of boiled and cooled milk in the fridge - I just had to warm it and pour in a bottle - could do with one hand if everything is ready!

I rearranged such that all small items were out of reach. And had a shelf with baby things in the kitchen. I rearranged his clothes so that I didnt have to worry about upsetting a pile! I designated an area to keep change of clothes for middle of the night changes. Every single day, when I sorted and folded laundry, I would keep a set in this area too !

I organized TWO safe places for him - where he wouldnt get hurt even if he somehow stood up !!

TWO safe places meant - I can put him in one place while cleaning the other one!!!

I had 2 baby cots - one in the bedroom and a bigger one in the hall ! And a pram ! And an uyyaala (oonjal/cloth jhoola) where he would sleep during the day!

I bought some meters of plastic sheets (that you cover tables with) - and covered the baby-cots' mattresses completely with the sheets and brown tape - My cotton single bedsheets would go around the mattresses TWICE - So if he wet the bed in the middle of the night, all I had to do was turn around the mattress - fresh sheets without changing!!!

I would wake up at 5 am, finish mine and DH's cooking for the whole day, finish my bath and getting ready, clean up everything, keep my son's morning foods - idli/rice/kanji/fruits - whatever I would give him till his first nap - would be ready-to-feed-baby on the table/fridge.
    His lunch items would get ready when he would have his first nap. His snacks would get ready when he would have his after-lunch nap. I would keep everything ready for dinner during his naps - e.g for rice - cooker and fry pan ready on the stove, with water, rice measured in the vessel, water for rasam ready to boil on the stove, vegetables chopped etc...
    So, when he is awake, I need to make a single trip to switch on the stoves and put things inside. Then I need to go back to check only after 5 minutes :)

So, morning, after I got ready, baby and DH would wake up and DH would help me oil-massage and bath him and leave for office.
    My maid used to come at the same time and finish her work.

During the morning nap, I would read something (I studied for my MBA - when baby was too young, I staggered 2 exams every three months, then when he was around 2 years, I wrote 4 exams every 3 months) or browse the internet or make calls to people!

I used his longer nap to do things I couldnt do when he was awake - washing machine, clean up toys, ready for his next meal - AND SLEEP for an hour!

2 days out of 5, an aunt or neighbour or cousin used to visit - I could have an extra evening coffee along with them as they would engage him :)

I understand your position - There have been days when I would waaaaiiiiiitttt for my DH to enter the house, before rushing to the washroom !!!

I used to be jealous of new moms with MILs and FILs at home - even though they had other troubles, they didnt have to wait to go to the loo!!

I used to think of buying a human size doll so that my baby would be busy and I could go !!

My throat used to be forever sore - so much high pitched talking and coochiecooing and tickling and flapping ;-)

DH used to come after work - and my son would be busy with toys or playing with me but he would be darting glances at the door and waiting for the sound of his dad opening the lock!!! Babies' biological clocks are pretty good that way!!

I had an extra bedroom that I could keep untidy - I would spend time only folding and organizing baby's clothes and mine, my DH would sort out his own clothes in his own time!

I used to keep meals very simple - same item for lunch and dinner for adults, whatever I made for baby, the same item would be in a spicier avatar for our meals.

I ensured lots of vegetables as I was breast-feeding! And would make/eat methi sprouts regularly!

If he cried when he didnt see me, I would play peekaboo 2-3 times and tickle him before going for longer, so he would be waiting for me to get out - but with anticipation of tickles and NOT fear!!

Whenever the weather is good, take him out !
    Bangalore weather is unpredictable - it changes 3-4 times a day - so cover him up properly against cold/wet/mosquitoes - take him to a park or lake in a pram so that his hands and legs are free to move and they can enjoy the scenery and people and vehicles etc. Or at least take him up to the terrace to see the birds and sky and buildings and move around.

Even if it is raining, get out of the house and go to the parking area - you'll see people of your building going in and out - get friendly with them

Dont wait till 6 pm, it is quite nice weather after 4 pm! If you have safe footpaths in your area, try meeting other moms waiting for the school buses at this time! You'll enjoy talking to adults after a whole day of baby talks :)

Ensure you get out of home ALONE at least on weekends - at least for an hour or so - go for a morning walk while DH and baby are still sleeping !! Have some ME time - go to a temple in the evening or go and plonk on your sister's/girl-friend's sofa and rant :)

7. karanu

karanu Gold IL'ite

@upfsabari, I had a light-weight stroller. I used to put my DD inside the stroller and keep it closer to the bathroom door when I need to go to the loo or have a bath. I used the same when I need to dry the clothes in the balcony or do something quick in the kitchen. I also had a baby cot. She never slept in it but used it more like a playpen. It was height adjustable. Once she started to sit (around 8 months), I would keep her there with some toys. I had a smooth music playing gadget which I attached to the cot. She would sit at the max for 15 minutes. I kept the cot in the living room, so she can see me when I cook in the kitchen.

Every evening, I used to carry her to the playarea in my apartment and take a walk around. She used to love this daily trip and would observe other kids and adults in the playarea. Between 5-6 pm is best and the mosquitoes are also less.

1 person likes this.
  8. live4today

live4today New IL'ite

good tips from everyone - i just want to say no matter what methods we use nobody can be perfect - we learn only from trying and experiencing. What works for one person may not be suitable for you so try different things and see the best option for you. I'm sure you will be the best mother :) Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  9. beingloved

beingloved Gold IL'ite

I've been in the same boat as you @upfsabari managing a 7 monther alone at home alongwith working form home full time also. My simple tips are-

1) Get a baby bath tub. Its very handy and you'll be able to manage kid's bath very easily
    2) Make a play area with baby mats/ simple mats/ comforters and have most of the toys/ baby pillows/ cushions there. Infants enjoy playing with the toys while rolling and crawling and start learning to stay alone for some time also. Also, you can take bath/ go to loo and be assured of safety
    3) Get a baby walker and keep'it in kitchen whenever you are cooking. Kids will enjoy the action in the kitchen:)
    4) Keep meals simple.. do the chopping/ kneading once a day while child is sleeping
    5) Try to take bath out in the evening. Bangalore weather is very good and kid will enjoy the fresh air.

1 person likes this.
  10. upfsabari

Thanks for the wonderful tips and thank you all so much for sharing your experiences.. It really gives me a lot of hope. I have read all the replies more than twice to get it in my heart and to gain confidence.

Mom went home on Saturday morning and DH was there at home for the past two days. But I was able to guess what I'll face today without mom.

Half day passed and I guess its OK.. If few more days go, I'll be fine I guess.

I've only one issue thats safe place.. My LO is rolling over so I'm afraid to keep him in bed without my supervision. I don't have pram/stroller/walker. So today I laid him on floor in hall and did few chores for few minutes. Sometimes he keeps quiet by playing but sometimes he cries. My hall is small and if I lay him in floor he goes near the wall by rolling over and get hit on his head n cries. I tried keeping pillows but he throws it away. So I'm thinking of getting a walker with stopper. As far as now, I am thinking of using it like a chair. But I am seeing mixed opinions about walkers nowadays.

Can you friends please suggest me a solution?