1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Tips To Keep Away Tensions/stress/annoying Thoughts

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by sumzaya, Aug 9, 2017.

1. sumzaya

sumzaya Gold IL'ite

Hi all
    Our life is full of ups n downs. There are moments where even the strongest mind falls or loses their control or emotions .
    There might be some tips or methods we often keep ourselves tension free or remove those negative thoughts. It would be helpful to others too if shared.

2. sumzaya

sumzaya Gold IL'ite

I shall start with my way of getting relief
    1. Prayers n usual rituals
    2. Favorite evergreen songs r saved in my phone and sit in a quiet place and listen through headphone with closed eyes. Old songs whih i used to hear takes me to my school n college days which brings back smile n coolness to my mind.
    3. Searchin recipes in google and make myself busy in kitchen and by being perfectionist . It takes all your concentration and takes to another world .
    4. Sewing machine is my best friend. Sewing is a therapy.. this method also needs ur full concentration and mind.. will forget this world while am sewing..
    5. Calling my old bestie... Chatting some time. Not sharing ur problems but having som fun chats... Some witty throwbacks... Etc...

Karthiga, sindmani, shri0218 and 4 others like this.
  3. prreeya

prreeya Silver IL'ite

@sumzaya
    I am also going through very tough time in my life.
    What i do everyday?
    1. Meditation - 15 minutes
    2. Kundalini Yoga - 15-20 minutes
    3. Always say "I am enough" , "Thank you god"
    4. For any bad words/comments we receive I say "Thanks for sharing"
    5. I also do prayer and mala jaap whenever i can do.
    You can check for some speech of life coach.

Thank you

sindmani, vanna, Naari and 3 others like this.
  4. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

@sumzaya - Nice thread. While I'm not as successful in reducing tension, I have found methods to reduce getting stuck in negative thoughts.

1. Reading fiction - this is a little bit of escapism that actually helps me restart. I tend to read things that I least like my real life, with definite happy endings.

2. Create something with my hands - crafts are a great way to unwind and feel like you are actually doing something productive with your life. I have a Dollar store pack of modeling clay in my office that I mess around with and have created a car, a stegosaurus, and a flower. It's a nice challenge and feels very relaxing for the hands. It almost feels like reflexology.

3. Write a journal - try Penzu - an online journal. It's my go to, when things get tough

4. Brainstorm small business ideas - oddly therapeutic

5. Phone a close friend - There are some friends that help you reclaim the fun, carefree part of yourself.

6. Shopping/window shopping - who said that buying material good wasn't therapeutic? It's fun to see interesting things even with no intention of buying.

sindmani, aamrapali and AAPriya like this.
  5. BhumiBabe

I really aspire to do all of these things. Sometimes though, I get stuck in my thoughts during meditation. I need to try the affirmations though. I heard they work wonders.

6. Shreema86

Shreema86 Platinum IL'ite

I know this is a bit weird but this really works for me as I am an anxious person by nature ..I have a small human skull ( its a cute version not the gory one) on my desk. This reminds me that nothing is permanent , all our joys and sorrows will pass with time and finally we all die, so no need to worry about anything .

sindmani, aamrapali, Mistt and 7 others like this.
  7. AAPriya

AAPriya Bronze IL'ite

I do the following and I'm hoping with time and practice I'll be able to keep away non-priority thoughts/stress

1. Pray and recite shlokas every morning.
    2. Try to think of my manasiga guru when emotions cloud my brain.
    3. Recently I started writing a journal. Most times I feel lonely and feel that there is none to sit and just listen to me. So nowadays I put down all emotional thoughts when they come to me in a journal on my mobile. This becomes my place to vent.

I like your clay modeling idea Bhumi. Am going to try it! Thank you!

sindmani, aamrapali and sumzaya like this.
  8. sumzaya

sumzaya Gold IL'ite

@BhumiBabe
    Crafts (recycling) was also in my list.... Then i stopped it a bit since my house became full of wastes (never threw away tetrapacks.. plastic cans...plastic straws..yikes) i heard it attracts negativity so threw it out..( not sure if its true or not)

aamrapali likes this.
  9. salad

salad Gold IL'ite

@sumzaya such a nice topic... These are steps which I take when I have a bad day or bad moment in my life.

1. I try to start my day either with a good meditation (app satva).Else a half hour jogging listening good music. Both gives me a fresh and energetic start.
    2. Daily chant vishnu sahasranaamam. Especially if it’s a bad day, chant in loud voice so I can concentrate on it.
    3. Keeping the journal. Whenever I feel down or confused I write it down. It gives peace of mind to think and take actions.
    4. Whenever chain of thoughts start at my mind I chant simple namavali else sing any song. It help me to get back my concentration.

I want to learn more mantras and sewing. Restart my dance!!(All in my to do list)

I always remind me, life is all about learning .Learning to survive in this world. Let it be at the career front or family/Social life. Politics will be everywhere and our main job is to survive and live peacefully.

Always ask "what is next” rather than dwelling in the past mud!!

10. BhumiBabe

I know what you mean. I usually make things for my son, like educational things. Whenever I search for craft projects, I make sure they are items that I would like to use or have displayed, or can be gifted. I don't think crafts are inherently negative, but hoarding unnecessary items makes it so. To keep my house clean, I make sure that I have a separate clear box for all my craft things, so that I can easily access, but it's also out of the way.

Have you tried gardening? Some people are gifted with a green thumb. (not me though)

aamrapali and Sandycandy like this.