Tips To Increase Milk Supply And Also To Introduce Bottle

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by Daffodil13, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Daffodil13

Daffodil13 Silver IL'ite

Hi All,

I delivered baby boy on June 22nd. Baby is now 2.5 months old (10 weeks). I exclusively breastfed baby till now except once or twice I had to give formula milk with palada(filler).
    Everything was going fine till now but from last 10 days I facing issues with my milk supply. Need your tips and suggestions to cope up with...

1. Milk supply is going low no matter what I eat. I am seriously worried about it. Baby birth weight is 3.2 and now he is 10 weeks old (2.5 months), he has not put on much weight. He is 4.8. I am doubtful whether he is getting sufficient milk. I am taking garlic, jeera water, methi, dil leaves, lactare tablets, galact powder n milk and shatavari mix. Oats as well. Nothing is helping to increase milk. Any suggestions?

2. As milk supply getting reduced and also I need to join back work, I tried to introduce bottle to baby. From last 4-5 days I am trying but baby is simply refusing the bottle. he cries very badly untill i give my milk. Any tips on how we can introduce bottle along with breastfeeding. Plan is to start including bottlefed for once/twice in a day along with my milk.

3. This is major concern I had now which is eating my head. All these days he use to take feed and sleep properly for 2-3 hours. Good sound sleep. From last one week he is troubling us a lot. He takes feed, plays for 15-20 mins and starts crying. I tried offering him milk (my milk) but he refuses and cries very badly for another 30-40 mins. We tried rocking him, taking him around etc etc but nothing consoles him. Finally he falls asleep in jhula. But he will not sleep more than 30-40 mins and again wakes up. After waking up, takes feed and again continuous same routine. He is not taking proper feed nor having proper sleep. He is not playing as well. I believe by 2.5 months kids play and try to turn on their tummy but he is not even trying. Dont know what to do?

Please help ladies...I am going mad here and feel depressed on few days where I just end up crying with out knowing what to do...:cry:

2. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

OP, Even if you give him formula, you need to maintain feeding or pumping every 2-3 hours (day and night)to maintain milk supply. If demand is not there supply goes down. If your body recognizes that there is not much demand, your period may start, that will be another blow to your already low milk supply. So maintain demand by pumping.

If you are worried about baby's weight, consult doctor. looks ok to me. Here is a chart (http://cdn2.momjunction.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Weight-for-age.jpg)

Try to use breast pump, every 2-3 hours. If you give bottle, he may get nipple/bottle confusion and may refuse to bf. Try to use spoon and see how it goes and slowly introduce bottle. Also try different bottles

I think, 2.5 months is too early to turn, give him sometime (3-4 months),allow him to lie down on the floor (use a mat) without any socks or pants for some time or you can turn him manually and allow him to stay that way for few minutes ( I used to hold baby face down with baby's tummy on my thighs (sitting position) and slowly massage on his back) . It may help with gas issues. If he cries, it may be due to that. Try to burp and use gas drops (I used "mylicone" in USA, consult doctor) . It helped me a lot when I used formula-as it may create digestion issues

Can you check the following post and replies there. Many suggestions and tips are provided there. There are many other posts too on same topic in IL forum, please check that.

Extremely Low Milk Supply

Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  3. Daffodil13

Daffodil13 Silver IL'ite

Thanks DDream for your response...I haven't started giving formula yet. I am planning to as I feel my milk supply has gone down. Till now I keep on feeding him every 2-3 hours both in day & night. But when i feed him , he takes only 7-9 mins not more than. I was initially worried on why he takes only for such short time but left it as he is putting on weight.
    Even now he takes only for 7-9 mins but his weight gain is not up to mark. Over last 45 days, he has put on only 800 gms which is bothering me much and at times he becomes very fussy.

From yesterday I tried pumping and giving my expressed milk in bottle. He refused it. So I tried giving him with paalada as I dont want to waste my milk. He cried taking it and vomited immediately. I have no issues to pump my milk after every feed but the problem is he is refusing to take milk either through bottle or through paalada/spoon.
    I dont want to pump and waste it if he refuses to take...:(
    Yes, even i am trying to change formula and bottles to see which he likes. I tried Lactogen and Nanpro. Both he didnt take. Similarly i tried first with Chicoo bottle then with Pigeon and now with Philips Avent slow flow model.
    Correct, but i thought babies might try to turn around and succeed only in 3-4 months as my daughter started at this age...may be wrong comparison.

I went to doc yesterday for vaccination. For 45 days , he has gained 800 gms which is bothering me.

4. shwetapj

shwetapj Silver IL'ite

Dear op

First of all stop stressing about milk supply as stress itself will affect your supply. Continue taking shatavarex with milk it will help.

Keep feeding every 2-3 hours as that will help to keep up your supply also for bottle feeding don't force feed your son. Try slowly and he will take it definitely

Rest don't worry it's a phase this too will pass

5. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

Ok, don't worry about bf time. He may be getting enough. If his stomach is full why he should drink more. Usually bf gives more milk than pumping. If he is healthy and happy, don't stress yourself worrying about. If doctor is ok with weight gain , why are you thinking about too much. This is just a phase. Weight gain also vary with time, activity. Don't compare your kids, each one is unique. Some times baby drink too much ( google growth spurt) some times not, it is quite natural. Take care. Enjoy these precious time..

6. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Daffodil,
    I feel your baby weight gain is decent. You don't need to worry. Its good that he isn't loosing, only then you should worry. Maintaining the weight or gaining slow is OK. Stop worrying from your side.
    My boy too don't like bottle feed or through paladai. He will scream even now. He's 8+ months now. Few babies are like that. You can't do anything on that.
    Hold on till he completes 4 months. Then slowly introduce juices or simple solids. Even one or two spoons are OK in the initial stage. Your baby need is low in this age, even your bm might be enough or little addition is what he needs.. After 6 months you can move on to more solids and wean him gradually.
    Stay positive and strong.

7. Daffodil13

Daffodil13 Silver IL'ite

Thanks so much shweta...You are true. I stressed a lot on my milk supply and it affected me badly. Now i came to terms that I will feed what ever it is every 2-3 hours or on demand basis. In addition I dont have alternative as he is refusing bottlefeed and crying badly..

8. Daffodil13

Daffodil13 Silver IL'ite

Thanks DDream...I am actually worried as he stopped taking proper 2-3 hours sleep like before. Now he sleeps only for 30 mins and wakes up crying for milk. He takes milk and plays for 30 mins again after which he starts crying again. But this time he wont take milk and i had to forcefully put him to sleep in jhula becoz he doesnt want to play nor drink milk but simply crying..This cycle continues till night which actually made me think that he might be not getting sufficient milk..

Is it normal for babies at this age to have this routine...I dont understand why my baby cries for? if not for milk and sleep..Doc said weight gain is little low but not too much low to get worried.

9. Daffodil13

Daffodil13 Silver IL'ite

Thanks vasumathy...All your replies assures me that everything is normal...It gives me peace..:)
    Yeah, I am just waiting for these 4 months to complete so that I can introduce slowly semi solids and juices
    How to give juices? with spoon? becoz he might refuse bottle that time also...

10. Daffodil13

Daffodil13 Silver IL'ite

Hi All,

I have two more queries ...Please help to get some info on them..

1. I tried giving him bottle 10 days back for 3 consequent days on my right time...He refused the bottle and cried badly. From then till 2-3 days back, he stopped taking feed from me as well when he is awake. I put him to sleep and then feed him. From last 2 days, he started taking feed from my left breast if he is too hungry. Even though he is too hungry, he is not taking feed from my right breast (may be he thinks I am giving him bottle again ..). Only in night times when he is in deep sleep he takes feed from right otherwise he takes only from left breast. Does it affect my milk supply? does he get sufficient from one breast for every feed?
    And I would need suggestions on how to get him back to right breast....I am giving him skin to skin touch also but he simply cries when i put him on my right..

2. I see some difficultly with my baby like burping after a long gap from feed (after feed i make him burp), I feel that he has some milk in his throat...he gets sometimes very uncomfortable with that esp during sleep, coughs rarely but not continuous..When i googled on net, i see something like silent reflex/acid reflex in infants..Have you heard of it? If so, what I can do to resolve it? Does gripe water works?

Please help...