1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Tips to get rid of the white worms in rice and dal

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by cutekanna, Sep 9, 2009.

1. cutekanna

cutekanna New IL'ite

Hi All,

The white worms in the house r not leaving me :(.

I have observed the worms sometime back in my old home in the rice bag, after which they spread to the atta bag and the other (basmati and the idly rice) rice varities as well. And even tamarind :(

When I was shifting to a new house, I cleaned up everything so tht they won't get into my new house as well. But , in vain :(

I again see them in all the rice bags. Now they started spreading to all nuts and dals as well.

Please tell me how to clean them :(

2. Noor01

Noor01 Senior IL'ite

Hi

Here are a few things you could do:

1. What u need to do is... .put the rice scattered on a piece of paper/cardboard under a hot sun.. shine it for few hours.. the bugs will be killed.

2. Another way to prevent that, is put the rice in fridge even before they appear. if they are already in the packet, then put some dry chili in. my grandma did that and it works.

3.Or else...I suspect its more of what you have close by that's the cause of the weevils rather than buying bad rice.
    Check the surrouding area where you store the rice. If you store flour, grains or beans close by, the weevils could be from these items. Get rid of the items and clean up the area.

You need to clean up at least 2 to 3 times to totally get rid of the eggs. wash out your rice container as well.
    In the meantime, sun the rice to get rid of the weevils. Place a handful of dried chillies in the rice container with your rice after that.

These tips am sure will help...Do try them and let me know the result...
    Regards...:)

3. cutekanna

cutekanna New IL'ite

Hi Noor,

Thanks for the reply. First time, when they appeared in the rice, I dried the rice in hot sun and they all vanished. But, the problem is that when I cooked the rice, it was all broken. So, I had tough time in completing the rice that was kept in sun.

May be, the red chilli option is left for now. I will try and let u know.