1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Tips Needed For A Long Trip With 3 Year Old

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by gknew, Jun 6, 2017.

1. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Hi ILs,

we are planning for a long trip for abt 3 weeks. We are planning to visit NY,NJ,PA and Niagara. I am travelling with my three and half year old. This gonna be our first long trip in US and I would like to know how do you all manage and plan the trip when you go with toddler. Do you carry any ready to eat food for kids? Please suggest those foods..

I dont have stroller for him. I have to buy one for this trip. I dont know how to carry those during air travel. How do you all manage strollers during travel? Do you buy a stroller in the destination place? One of my friend suggested to buy a cheaper stroller in walmart in the place where u gonna roam/walk for long.Looking for some suggestions or tips to keep in mind to prepare for a trip with toddler.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.

2. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

First of all, good luck.
    Travelling with toddler can end up either way but your plane trip is not that long , you mean its domestic travel, maximum 2 hrs to a destination. Is your kid adapted to eating american or outside foods?

About stroller, you can get umbrella stroller for 20$. Its lightweight stroller. You take it inside security at airport and they take it away at gate. Then you get it back at baggage area. BTW, 3 1/5yrs can walk at the airport but sometimes kids just do not want to walk at new places so stroller is good thing to take. Moreover it is cheap and might come useful at places you going. In US, you have stroller access almost everywhere.

We have not flown domestic with our kid. But we drive a lot. 10-12 hrs straight. We have take long flights for India. Are you flying or driving or both?
    My kid eats everything infact loves outside food so things have become easier now ( 2 1/2 yrs old). I pack lot of clothes and snacks for her (and couple jackets even in summer). Then near hotel, I visit convenience store for snacks, water, milk and bananas etc. Most times, I carry electric rice cooker and rice ( for emergencies).
    Carry some food and bananas. Also carry some fresh food for 1 time atleast ( before it spoils).
    Since its summer,
    Usually I take -
    clothes, jacket, sunscreen, hat/cap and couple shoes pair ( like for summer and regular), socks and plastic bags ( to throw stuff).
    Dry fruits, goldfish, cheese crackers, puffs, cookies, chips all kinds of junk
    Bananas and apples
    sippy cups
    tablet with cartoons ( might be your life saver in long strip.. honestly)

Did you say 3 weeks long trip? So I assume you might be staying at relatives and hopping places. So you will get lot of options to wash laundry, buy snacks, get good food. Ignore my above comments accordingly.

gknew likes this.
  3. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Thank you so much for the detailed and very informative reply.
    Ur inputs really helps me a lot in planning the trip. We don't have any relatives/friends there. So, no chance for laundry. We might cut short our trip to 2weeks..
    My kid can walk around, but he get cranky if he roams for sometime.. So, will definitely chk out that stroller...we are driving and flying...
    He is OK with outside food..I would still buy snacks or fruits whenever I find a store..thanks for this tip...

4. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Yeah, keep variety of snacks and have them hidden to surprise them. Sometimes they just get bored and ask. Like if he eats colorful M & Ms or candies or tiny books or small toys/cars ( just do not show all at once). Reserve few things for emergency cries. We stop a lot and usually my kids sleeps a lot in car and then she watches cartoons a lot.
    For this long trip, take some kids medicines too. Like Tylenol and then baby nail cutters, small scissors and cotton balls. They really come in handy sometimes. I do not want to keep running for such stuff in new place so I usually take it along.
    I forget to mention kids blanket ( yes even in summers, helps them cozy up )

gknew likes this.
  5. gknew

gknew Gold IL'ite

Great inputs...thanks a lot..
    Ya...car trip is much better.. Kids sleep most of the time...we have a plan to change the trip as a road trip too...yet to finalize.. Kid will not be more cranky if its car travel...can stop anywhere and give him some break /play...