Tips for non broken ,smooth kozhukkattai.

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by kishoremommy, Sep 14, 2012.

1. kishoremommy

kishoremommy Platinum IL'ite

I am not going to give tips here.I need tips.

This is the method we use for making kozhukattai.

Soak raw rice for a hour.Spread in a white cloth in shade till the rice is slightly wet.Grind the rice into a very fine powder and again dry the flour for a while.

Boil water with salt and a spoon of gingelly oil in the ratio 1 cup rice : 1 cup water.Add boiling water to the rice and mix well with a ladle and cover immediately with a wet cloth.

When it is cool enough to touch ,make kozhukkatai outer covering.

For poornam:

Cook channa dal ,soaked for half an hour,(1/2 cup)and drain the water.Roast dal in a kadai till the wetness is gone.Roast coconut gratings (1/2 cup)too.Grind the dal ,coconut gratings, cardamom into a fine powder.In a thick bottomed vessel take 1 cup of powdered jaggery and add some water.When it is dissolved ,strain well using a metal strainer. Again heat the jaggery till the froth is formed .Now ,add the powder and mix well till the poornam has reached the desired consistency.

Then the fill the outer covering with poornam and cook in idli cooker for 10 minutes.

Now,the problem is nearly half of the kozhukkatais are broken.The taste is awesome.

Please ,suggest some tips to make smooth ones.

1 person likes this.

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

km,

this is what works for me..

I make a mixture of water and the rice powder..just like idli batter..and add it to the boiling water..and use a whisk..slowly it lumps up.. but uniformly.

after i remove it, as it cools i knead it a little to get that smooth shiny finish.. and keep it wrapped.. when making the choppu/modak i touch my fingers in a small bowl that has a tsp of oil and half water.. this way it gives me flexibility to mould..

and also ensure that the stuffing and your wrap covering are proportionate..if not it also tends to bring crack..the jaggery of the stuffing also.. soft stuffing ensures no cracks..

happy vinayak chaturthi..

2 people like this.
  3. kishoremommy

Thanks ,Shanvy.

What is the amount of boiling water?I need an approximate idea.

Doesn't the mixture stick to the vessel?Should the flame be low?

Does too much cooking of kozhukkattai leads to breaking?

4. keeraj

keeraj Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for the tips:)

5. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

the water depends on the quality of your rice km. this is what i do with any cooking that needs boiling water..i boil water in a kettle/pot in the next burner, so that i can use it if i need.. i always take 1:1.25 but here 25 is for the mixing..so ultimately it is 1.

yes..too much steam inside also.. always ensure you time your steaming.. since we make the outer very thin and the inner stuffing is pre-cooked for a 4 plate it could be just 10 minutes if the water is already boiling.. more than that will be make it dry, which makes it crack..

1 person likes this.
  6. kishoremommy

Any more ideas and tips?