Tips for making soft Rotis / Phulka

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by smile14, Aug 27, 2012.

1. smile14

smile14 Gold IL'ite

Hi All,

I would like to share here few tips to make soft rotis / phulkas. All these I have learnt with my experiences and they are tried ones.....

1. Always try to use fresh kneaded dough for roti. I know its a little time taking to make dough every time but it is really worth it. With due practice this will become a practice.
    2. Use lukewarm water to knead the dough. This will keep rotis soft for long time.
    3. Add a little salt in the Atta, this will keep rotis soft.
    4. DO NOT keep rotis on tava for more than few seconds. Keep the tava hot before putting rotis on it.
    5. If you do keep rotis on direct flame to make it pluffy, do not keep them there more than for few seconds. Once it is all pluffy just remove it from flame.

As soon as your rotis are ready, put some ghee on it, and keep them it a casserole and keep them covered. Do NOT keep them in open, else air will make them hard.

I hope you all will get benefited by these tips.

9 people like this.

2. paps

paps Bronze IL'ite

Nice tips. I like it.
    Can any one suggest me preparing food idly also.

3. anugamit

anugamit Platinum IL'ite

Nice tips.....

If you add MILK instead of water rotis will be more soft and tastes nice. Also the water left after straining paneer can be used....it is more nutritious.

2 people like this.
  4. kiran82

kiran82 Silver IL'ite

Very nice tips Smile and Anila-shall make use of them surely.My rotis don't come well and my husband gets angry when I make them,so I stopped making them.He is overweight and I SHOULD make for him.You have helped me with your suggestions.Kudos to you both.

Regards,

5. Sowmya2709

Sowmya2709 Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for sharing the tips.. :)

6. harinikanthi

harinikanthi Silver IL'ite

hi all, thanks for the tips. but if we keep in a casserole ,chappatis are soft but soggy.(due to water vapour) how to avoid this? please tell me.

7. born2vin

born2vin Bronze IL'ite

Thanks for te tips

8. vidyashankari

vidyashankari Platinum IL'ite

nice tips
    thanks for sharing

9. shivani gupta

shivani gupta New IL'ite

hi

keep your chappatis in casserole covered with kitchen duster this will keep chappatis soft but not soggy.

10. outofthebox

outofthebox Platinum IL'ite

To add to these tips given by smile14, this is one more tip that I learnt from my MIL for making soft dough. I think the consistency of dough also matters in getting the right feel of rotis.....

I think there are many here who take aata first and then add water.
    My MIL used to measure by water. Initially it will be difficult to guess how much water is required, but here is what I do.

Add 1 cup of water to the bowl, and then keep adding aata little by little. That way, the consistency will start becoming from sticky to less sticky, and then you know when to stop adding more aata. The dough should neither be sticky nor too hard like a ball.

If you feel you need to make more rotis, you can increase the measure of water. But for first, try with 1 cup...
    And till this day, I have never messed up in getting the correct measure and correct soft consistency of dough.

Hope this helps!

4 people like this.