1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Tips for healthy sleep

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by snehathomas, Jun 18, 2014.

1. snehathomas

snehathomas New IL'ite

Sleeping disorders have become very common.. In today's world , there isn't time to have a good sleep as there is so much stress. Like diet and exercise , sleep is also is a factor that ensures good health.

Here are some ways to have healthy sleep

1. Ensure that you fall asleep at same time all nights.
    2. Have a light dinner.
    3. A shower before sleep is good.
    4. Wake up at the same time.
    5. Avoid lights entering the room while sleeping.
    6. Don't take any books to bed for reading.
    7. Keep out other things like toys ,books ,from bed.

1 person likes this.

2. FallenAngel33

FallenAngel33 Silver IL'ite

?????????

I don’t think so.

Sleep is nothing to do with lights, shower, timings, toys , bed, books etc...

I have seen people sleeping in public buses ... where is bed, light, toys, books in public bus ?????

In college days, I have seen friends sleeping in class during boring lecture....I have seen people sleeping in office, they don’t have much work & feel sleepy. ur theory fails here ????????

Technically person will sleep or will feel sleepy if body is tired & tissues require rest & more is oxygen is required to rejuvenate & repair.

Another scenario is if brain is processing less info, thoughts ... if person is thinking very very less, no thoughts, then brain enters alpha state, person will feel relaxed and slowly feel sleepy.

Most cases sleep disorders are caused because of too much of thinking...negative thinking....always something will be running in mind like a background process. Even at bed time if a person is thinking too much, & having stress, fear etc. brain cannot concentrate on producing sleep hormones, brain cannot concentrate on needs of other tissues, organs properly .. which may lead to sleep disorders.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
    3 people like this.
  3. snehathomas

snehathomas New IL'ite

These are some tips to have a HEALTHY SLEEP.. There are different ways how people fall asleep.Many people are struggling to have a good sleep. Daily routine regarding all activities will help you to build a good lifestyle.

1 person likes this.
  4. FallenAngel33

FallenAngel33 Silver IL'ite

Wat is HEALTHY sleep ? Is there something called unhealthy sleep also ? . All sleeps are healthy... only duration matters. 8 hrs of sleep for good health...

Anyway even the word “HEALTHY SLEEP” does not justify ur theory of lights, shower, timings, toys , bed, books etc..

Yes correct “There are different ways how people fall asleep”., Once we fall asleep, thats it , there is nothing like whether that sleep is healthy or unhealthy or good or bad, provided u sleep for 8 hrs.

“There are different ways how people fall asleep” u r correct...Some people get sleep after heavy dinner, some people don’t get sleep if there is no light (like my cousin sister)... some people get heavy sleep when they read book (some of my college friends).

So may be the tips which u have mentioned may is helping u, but not same for others. Its not generic.

5. han412

han412 Gold IL'ite

@fallenangel only healthy people fall asleep in the ways you have mentioned (they are blessed)
    The points mentioned by OP are for people with a botched up system to sleep soundly. I can personally vouch for some of the methods mentioned. The day I am tense I use some of the above mentioned techniques to fall asleep.
    Cheer Up. Have a great day. Don't be so grouchy. OP has posted to help people .

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
    3 people like this.
  6. PriyaMankala

PriyaMankala New IL'ite

Hi,
    Here are some tips for healthy sleep

1) Stick to the same bedtime and wake up time, even on the weekends
    This helps to regulate your body's clock and could help you fall asleep and stay asleep for the night.

2) Practice a relaxing bedtime ritual
    A relaxing, routine activity right before bedtime conducted away from bright lights helps separate your sleep time from activities that can cause excitement, stress or anxiety which can make it more difficult to fall asleep, get sound and deep sleep or remain asleep.

3) Avoid naps , especially in the afternoon.
    Power napping may help you get through the day, but if you find that you can't fall asleep at bedtime, eliminating even short catnaps may help.

4) Exercise daily.
    Vigorous exercise is best, but even light exercise is better than no activity. Exercise at any time of day, but not at the expense of your sleep.

5) Evaluate your room.
    Design your sleep environment to establish the conditions you need for sleep. Your bedroom should be cool – between 60 and 67 degrees. Your bedroom should also be free from any noise that can disturb your sleep. Finally, your bedroom should be free from any light. Check your room for noises or other distractions. This includes a bed partner's sleep disruptions such as snoring. Consider using blackout curtains, eye shades, ear plugs, "white noise" machines, humidifiers, fans and other devices.

6) Sleep on a comfortable mattress and pillows.
    Make sure your mattress is comfortable and supportive. The one you have been using for years may have exceeded its life expectancy – about 9 or 10 years for most good quality mattresses. Have comfortable pillows and make the room attractive and inviting for sleep but also free of allergens that might affect you and objects that might cause you to slip or fall if you have to get up during the night.

7) Use bright light to help manage.

I hope these tips help.

7. meghaagarwal

meghaagarwal New IL'ite

nice tips, thanks for the sharing

8. lalithabrahma

lalithabrahma Bronze IL'ite

I am not sure and I have not tried, but I learned that if you drink make a paste of khas khas and drink it with milk, before going to bed, it helps you get good sleep.

9. darmesh

darmesh Platinum IL'ite

Nice Information. Thanks.

10. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

Thanks for the wonderful tips.