1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Tips for golden feet

Discussion in 'Health Issues' started by Jaya, Dec 6, 2005.

1. Jaya

Jaya New IL'ite

Dear friends,

It has been said that the feet are a mirror of health, therefore your podiatrist (Foot Doctor) is sometimes the first to detect signs of diseases such as diabetes, arthritis, and circulatory conditions. Here are some health tips to kep those golden feet going:

1. SHOES: ILL fitting shoes can cause devastating problems. Remember feet change in shape and size as we age. A shoe with good support and comfort is of utmost importance. Don't forget to shop for your shoes during the afternoon because feet swell as the day progresses.

2. EXERCISE: Walking is the best exercise for your feet. Consult your doctor before embarking on a new exercise regime.

3. AT HOME SURGERY: Never cut corns and callouses with razors, knifes, or any instruments. Avoid over the counter products with medication for these ailments. Always cut toe nails straight across.

4. HYGIENE: Bathe your feet in lukewarm water daily, using mild soap with moisturizers within it. Always use moisturizers afterwards and avoid putting it between your toes.

5. INSPECTION: Check your feet every day or have someone do it for you. If you notice any redness, swelling, blisters, cracks, or sores in the skin contact your foot doctor or physician. And don't forget to have a podiatrist inspect your feet twice a year to make sure your feet are doing well.

A muscle imbalance or arthritis can cause toes to contract and buckle. Toe joints as a result become enlarged, stiffened, and deformed. This deformity can also lead to increased shoe pressure and eventually formation of a corn.

Repetitive pressure and friction by your shoes on your toes can cause the skin to respond by thickening and forming a corn. Switching to shoes that provide larger toe box and give the toes more room will also reduce friction. Over-the-counter corn removers should be used with extra caution. The medicated pads contain dilute acid preparations and can burn the skin. These pads should never be used in patients with poor circulation or diabetes. You should use lotion to keep the corns softened and they can be removed by using a nail file or pumas stone. Never use a blade.

Regards

2. shivaani

shivaani New IL'ite

Any tip for my problem?

Hi Jaya,

Those were nice tips...I would really like to have a golden feet.

My problem is my feet gets so dry and it appears white here and there. I keep applying moisturizer every day as soon as I take bath and I also apply before I go to bed. Still they get so dry. Especially during winter needn't mention - it's worse.

Any tips to overcome this problem? Thanks.

Shivaani

3. Jaya

Jaya New IL'ite

Dear Shivaani,

Have you tried using Krack cream by Paras pharmaceuticals? I found good results with it. It really relieves dry skin in my feet. U can try that if u want. It is nice to know that u liked my tips. I found it in a health magazine and thought of sharing with all of u.

Regards

4. Jaya

Jaya New IL'ite

Friends,

I found some more info on foot care from a website.

Common Foot Problems

Fungal and Bacterial Conditions, including athlete's foot, occur because our feet spend a lot of time in shoes - a warm, dark, humid place that is perfect for fungus to grow. Fungal and bacterial conditions can cause dry skin, redness, blisters, itching, and peeling. If not treated right away, an infection may be hard to cure. If not treated properly, the infection may reoccur. To prevent infections, keep your feet - especially the area between your toes - clean and dry. Change your shoes and socks or stockings often to help keep your feet dry. Try dusting your feet daily with foot powder. If your foot condition does not get better within 2 weeks, talk to your doctor.

Dry skin can cause itching and burning feet. Use mild soap in small amounts and a moisturizing cream or lotion on your legs and feet every day. Be careful about adding oils to bath water since they can make your feet and bathtub very slippery.

Corns and calluses are caused by friction and pressure when the bony parts of your feet rub against your shoes. If you have corns or calluses, see your doctor. Sometimes wearing shoes that fit better or using special pads solves the problem. Treating corns and calluses yourself may be harmful, especially if you have diabetes or poor circulation. Over-the-counter medicines contain acids that destroy the tissue but do not treat the cause. Sometimes these medicines reduce the need for surgery, but check with your doctor before using them.

Warts are skin growths caused by viruses. They are sometimes painful and, if untreated, may spread. Since over-the-counter preparations rarely cure warts, see your doctor. A doctor can apply medicines, burn or freeze the wart off, or take the wart off with surgery.

Bunions develop when the joints in your big toe no longer fit together as they should and become swollen and tender. Bunions tend to run in families. If a bunion is not severe, wearing shoes cut wide at the instep and toes, taping the foot, or wearing pads that cushion the bunion may help the pain. Other treatments include physical therapy and wearing orthotic devices or shoe inserts. A doctor can also prescribe anti-inflammatory drugs and cortisone injections for pain. Sometimes surgery is needed to relieve the pressure and repair the toe joint.

Ingrown toenails occur when a piece of the nail breaks the skin - which can happen if you don't cut your nails properly. Ingrown toenails are very common in the large toes. A doctor can remove the part of the nail that is cutting into the skin. This allows the area to heal. Ingrown toenails can often be avoided by cutting the toenail straight across and level with the top of the toe.

Hammertoe is caused by a shortening of the tendons that control toe movements. The toe knuckle is usually enlarged, drawing the toe back. Over time, the joint enlarges and stiffens as it rubs against shoes. Your balance may be affected. Wearing shoes and stockings with plenty of toe room is a treatment for hammertoe. In very serious cases, surgery may be needed.

Spurs are calcium growths that develop on bones of your feet. They are caused by muscle strain in the feet. Standing for long periods of time, wearing badly fitting shoes, or being overweight can make spurs worse. Sometimes spurs are completely painless - at other times they can be very painful. Treatments for spurs include using foot supports, heel pads, and heel cups. Sometimes surgery is needed.

5. meenaprakash

meenaprakash Silver IL'ite

foot care

Hi Friends,

I would like to add-on a few more to Jaya's mail.

Athlete's foot is a skin disease, usually starting between the toes or on the bottom of the feet, which can spread to other parts of the body. It is caused by a fungus, which most commonly attacks the feet because the wearing of shoes and hosiery fosters fungus growth. The signs of athlete's foot are dry scaly skin, itching, inflammation, and blisters. You can help prevent infection by washing your feet daily with soap and warm water; drying carefully, especially between the toes; and changing shoes and socks regularly to decrease moisture.

Blisters are caused by skin friction and wearing bad fitting shoes. Don't pop them. Apply a Band-Aid over a blister, and leave it on until it falls off naturally in the bath or shower. Keep your feet dry and always wear socks as a cushion between your feet and shoes. If a blister breaks on its own, wash the area, apply an antiseptic, and cover with a sterile bandage.

Heel pain can generally be traced to faulty biomechanics, which place too much stress on the heel bone or nerves in the area. Stress could result while walking or jumping on hard surfaces, or from poorly made footwear. Some general health conditions like arthritis, gout, and circulatory problems, also cause heel pain.

Tips to avoid cracked heels

1. Do not expose your feet to extreme climate i.e., extreme cold or extreme heat.

2. Wash feet daily in lukewarm water, blot dry without rubbing and apply a urea-based cream.

3. If your heels are very dry, use a pumice stone to slough off dry skin, cover feet with petroleum jelly and put a pair of socks before going to bed.

4. Pedicure your feet more often.

5. Use hot-cold water technique. Dip your feet in hot water and then after five minutes dip it in cold water. Do this for 20 minutes. This method improves the blood circulation.

6. Choose your shoes carefully and pick only the best quality.

7. Before going to bed daily pamper your feet with a rich moisturising cream.

6. deeps1

deeps1 New IL'ite

Thanks for sharing nice and useful tips to care our feet.

7. vidhya25

vidhya25 Senior IL'ite

this was a nice information , i would like to have golden feet

8. vidhya25

vidhya25 Senior IL'ite

this was a nice information , i would like to have golden feet

9. Kamini_sg

Kamini_sg New IL'ite

Thanks for sharing these wonderful tips..