1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Time To Feel Grateful

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Dec 26, 2017.

1. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Another New Year

It was in December early 1960s. I was doing my Post Graduation in the University of Madras. We had some students from Australia visiting us under the University Youth exchange programme. There were about twenty of them who were supposed to stay in the houses of local students. I opted to host one of them following which a stocky guy who looked like my double was allotted to me. The team was with us for a week and every evening we all got together for dinner at some common place. It was Christmas week and the city wore a festive look. The students wanted to visit some well known Church for the night before Christmas for the midnight service. I went along with them and listened to the carols. The songs indeed touched my heart and I fell in love with the carol Silent Night, Holy Night. The carol is about 200 years old. It is on the birth of Jesus on a silent and holy night. I loved the carol so much that I listened to it whenever I felt agitated about anything. The carol has a great soothing effect.

All those who have read my blogs know that I am from Triplicane, Chennai which has a significant Muslim population. More than 50% of my childhood friends were of Islamic origin. As I grew older, I developed a great taste for Sufi literature and Islamic holy songs. I was amazed by the close resemblance of some of the songs to the chanting of Vedas. I became a great fan of the writings of Kahlil Gibran. He had such a fascinating view of death that it was no surprise that he died before he reached the age of 50. Some of his takes like the following have had a great impact on my mental makeup:

Let there be spaces in your togetherness, And let the winds of the heavens dance between you. Love one another but make not a bond of love. Let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls. Fill each other's cup but drink not from one cup. Give one another of your bread but eat not from the same loaf. Sing and dance together and be joyous, but let each one of you be alone, Even as the strings of a lute are alone though they quiver with the same music. Give your hearts, but not into each other's keeping. For only the hand of Life can contain your hearts. And stand together, yet not too near together: For the pillars of the temple stand apart, And the oak tree and the cypress grow not in each other's shadow.

The calm and modest demeanour of Dalai Lama has made me look upon him as my Guru. I have had the privilege of listening to his speech that went deep into my heart. His sayings like ‘Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck.’ have helped me to take my failures in my stride. The Paramacharya of Kanchi and Ramana Maharshi were the quintessence of Hindu spiritualism. The great thing was that there was such universality in their teachings that even Westerners became their followers.

The world belongs as much to nonbelievers as to believers. Highly eminent persons have been nonbelievers. Voltaire, Karl Marx, Bertrand Russell, Spinoza, Nietzsche, Sigmund Freud, Thomas Edison, Hippocrates, Stephen Hawking have been staunch nonbelievers. Their contribution to human advancement is no less than that of believers.

This is the season to remember all these great men and feel grateful to them. Another New Year is round the corner. My warm greetings to all of you for a wonderful, fun-filled New Year!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020

2. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thank you Sri Sir and wishing you also a wonderful 2018!
    I second that sentiment sir.

It takes all kinds to weave this wonderful fabric of humanity and society.

nakshatra1 and beautifullife30 like this.
  3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Dear sri,

i am posting a fb in snippets after quite some time. only because I don’t need to be worried about being judged for spelligs, grammar or anything that is seen as something to be dissected.. sorry for the digress.

when we first moved to the mea, the one thing i taught my kids was never to say yuck to the food that other’s eat esp the meat. they were 6 and 3. being a pure vegetarian, they found it really hard when they had to first sit with them during snack and lunch breaks.

being tolerant of others leads to acceptance, understanding and appreciating the goodness and imbibing it into the weave of our lives.

the world belongs to all. the good, the ugly and the bad all is in my perception and I am at that stage where I wish to believe eveyone is good in their own space.

happy new year sri, may this year bring in peace health and good will to all

nakshatra1, kkrish, Cheeniya and 3 others like this.
  4. iamsrihere

iamsrihere Platinum IL'ite

Iam right now at a stage where I feel everything is going wrong and out of my control.
    The saying of Dalai Lama in your post gave me so much relief and trust in the universe.

Thanks for this post.Happy that I could read this at the right time:)

Wish you a very happy New Year:):)

sindmani likes this.
  5. sonishah32

sonishah32 Junior IL'ite

@Cheeniya what a post!!!
    I applaud you. Excellently, in short, you have given the way the believers and non-believers have changed the perception of life. Also, I would like to add every human being is a BELIEVER & a NON-BELIEVER as we all at times believe in nature and deny its existence as per our convenience.

nakshatra1 likes this.
  6. MonikaSG

MonikaSG Platinum IL'ite

Karma means action and action motivated by compassion is good. To complain that what happens to you is just the result of your karma is lazy. Instead, confidently recalling the advice that, "you are your own master", you can change what happens by taking actions.

7. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

That is such a wonderful thought - be grateful. Enjoyed reading CS. Wish you a very happy and healthy new year!

Anisu likes this.
  8. Cheeniya

@kkrish
    Thank you kkrish and I heartily reciprocate your good wishes for a glorious 2018
    And I thank you also for seconding my statement about believers and nonbelievers. I have seen in movies where our Earth is in the danger of being attacked by the aliens how everyone joins to tackle the problem. All differences dissipates into a common concern for preserving our Earth. Why do we have to wait for such a situation to dissolve all our differences of caste and creed?
    Sri

kkrish and Shanvy like this.
  9. Cheeniya

@Shanvy
    My dear Shanvy
    I am very happy to see you here responding to my good wishes for a happy new year! I wish you a glorious 2018.
    Come on Shan! I write here for over a decade about whatever that comes to my mind. The content is more important than spelling and grammar. For your information, there would be hundreds of such mistakes in what I write if not for the Spell Check in my PC! I am reminded of my commerce Professor in the college who would ask a student loitering about in the foyer 'Why are you rotating the veranda?' We all loved him not only because he was a fabulous teacher but also for simplifying English and bringing it to the reach of everyone!
    Beautifully articulated! The other day, a highly poisonous snake was sighted in the suburb and the people sent a SOS to the Snake Park in Guindy. They came and took charge of the snake and left it in some wilderness to lead its own life. As you say, the world belongs to all, not just the humans in general and good humans in particular.
    Sri

sindmani, kkrish and Shanvy like this.
  10. Cheeniya

@iamsrihere
    I am happy that my quote from Dalai Lama helped you. Such wonderful words of learned people are like balm for a bruised soul and the sheet anchor in troubled waters. I always hold on to them.
    Thank you for your good wishes which I heartily reciprocate
    Sri

iamsrihere and kkrish like this.