1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Time management - cooking, cleaning, and exercise

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by kkrish, Apr 22, 2012.

1. girvani

girvani Platinum IL'ite

Dear KKrish madam,
    Thank you very much. It was indeed helpful. Will you store the sauces in freezer bag too?

Many thanks,
    Vani

kkrish likes this.
  2. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Hi @girvani
    Yes. I store sambar, rasam in freezer bags.
    First place the bag flat in the freezer.
    Once the contents freeze you can stack them upright in a box - like books.

girvani likes this.
  3. Caughtinbetween

Caughtinbetween Gold IL'ite

Thank you for your response @kkrish . And my sorry for the delayed response .
    Yes its long hours of work because i also work overtime otherwise its four days a week . But because i work one day overtime it comes to five days * 12 hours .
    I try to sleep during off days a little longer .
    I actually read this thread in bits and pieces . My H is not very supportive of frozen home made food thats the main problem. Though I am trying to freeze few leftovers here and there . This weekend onwards I will try to cut and freeze the veggies before hand . I was also thinking about buying IP cooker .I do find a lot of indian recipes here that can be made in it so i might buy it this holiday season.
    My main aim is to get some time for walking . I can actually skip bus commute on my way back and add up to 50 mins of walking . But I get lazy in doing that.
    I will try to start with this first and see how it goes.

Thanks for taking the time out to reply and thinking about my problem . Thanks.
    Also , I thoroughly enjoyed your posts during eclipse .Reading about it in your posts made me very interested in the event and I went out to watch it . Thanks for that too.

kkrish likes this.
  4. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear @Caughtinbetween
    Thank you.
    I have been thinking about your problem, but the only solutions I could come up with comes down to pre-cooking some of the food. Not sure if your family accepts that.
    As I mentioned before having a meal plan saves much time.
    Please see if you can make part of the meals ahead - like chopping vegetables, marinating, par boiling etc. Also set everything out the previous night like the masalas, salt , oil, etc that you would need for the day's cooking. This will also save precious minutes searching for them in the morning.

More than anything, your above quote made me extremely happy.
    I am happy to know you took the time to check out the eclipse.
    There can be no better testimony.
    Thank you:worship2:

5. girvani

girvani Platinum IL'ite

Thanks @kkrish madam!

kkrish likes this.
  6. Caughtinbetween

Caughtinbetween Gold IL'ite

Hi @kkrish ,

thanks for taking time out to think about my problems and reply . I much appreciate it .
    I have started following the meal plans and also trying to get as much frozen cut veggies from indian grocery shops and costco like spinach , beans , cauliflower , kantola, bhindi etc . So veggie cutting is reduced to green chilli , coriander , potato , tomato , brinjal , capsicum and such . We no longer eat ginger garlic and onion. No garam masala or store masalas of any sorts so masala prep is not done largely. And I am not cooking anything in the morning . Just take the rice out of rice cooker and mix it with last night curry and some pickle for lunch box for both. I have to starting par boiling potatoes and other hard veggies beforehand . this will also save some time for me .
    Even these things like packing the lunch box , adding some fruits for breakfast and snacks , bathing and getting ready and out of the door takes me exactly one hour. I am also a little on the slower side .
    H wont frequently eat pre cooked frozen meals. if he does not see whats in the freezer , I just take it out , reheat and re temper the curry again . Sometimes he knows sometimes he doesnt . He is fine with last night food though I want more freezing during the weekends.
    He will eat it at that time but then it will be fixed in his mind that he always eats last night food (which is not actually true ) . I cook fresh during off days . And this leads to trouble during crucial drilling sessions during india calls . (But i am learning to think less and less about it :)) And doing only what I can manage .
    Thank you very much for your efforts . Please let me know if you come across more .
    Thanks.

shravs3 and kkrish like this.
  7. Bubbles

Bubbles Silver IL'ite

I feel for you.. frozen food is frowned upon at my home too despite my efforts to educate my husband.. it is a belief thing, so I am not sure much can be done there.. Add to it, MIL has a lot of firm notions of how things must be done/prepped/cooked in the kitchen. :) Well, so we must think of other options..
    Parboiling potatoes : have you tried microwaving them? A whole peeled potato in small cubes with just a little water to cover it (and keep a lid on top), is done in 10 minutes.. or you can microwave it whole in3+3 minutes and remove the skin after cooling... I rarely parboil potatoes now..
    You could also cut and keep the fruits the previous night, if you can tweak it into your super-tight schedule..
    India calls can be tough. I'm glad you are learning not to think about it..
    As your husband prefers eating fresh food (though he doesn't mind eating premade), do you think you can try some crockpot cooking? You could also use your rice-cooker for more than rice, try one-pot meals, or make full use of your pressure cooker and microwave... Or if you have get/instapot (its on my wishlist) it could help you a lot..Just my two cents..

kkrish and Thyagarajan like this.
  8. Bubbles

Bubbles Silver IL'ite

I used kirkland pacs, but was unhappy with the results : had to wash most utensils again. Apparently, they've changed the formulation in the last 3-4 years..hmmm Cascade complete is doing a pretty good job even with no rinse agent. Cascade platinum is very good, but costco at my place doesn't stock it.
    Hope your hemoglobin is normal too.. I guess your blood workup would have shown that but it's something to keep in mind, if your hormone profile is normal. Also, are you taking your metformin at night? Do not skip breakfast, as others have said..

9. JeniFlora

JeniFlora Gold IL'ite

Hello ladies,

I came to IL after a long time and planning to have touch with IL.
    I am a old member of this thread. Happy to see the thread alive.

Ladies, keep rocking.
    I will also post my routing often

Jeni

kkrish likes this.
  10. chithirainilavu

chithirainilavu Gold IL'ite

HEY JENI, How r u ? Really a loooooong time . How is ur little one ?

Shara

kkrish likes this.