1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Time management - cooking, cleaning, and exercise

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by kkrish, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I am floored by how little things can add up and save time. Even without having tried the above steps, I can already calculate how much time I will save. Boiling the toor daal is indeed a "timing" challenge. IP and i are still negotiating on the cooking of that, so I use pressure cooker sometimes. Can't do it when anyone is still asleep. Can't do it if I am going to be out of the kitchen. My pressure cooker is an old faithful but also a bit like a demanding household help (don't like the term maidservant). So, only I know how many whistles are enough and when to turn down the heat from high to medium. So, can't step away if pressure cooker is on the stove.

The onions peeling I did do for a while, but that was when I had an expensive cooking lady who used to come and cook for a few hours. I used to peel the onions and refrigerate the previous night to save that expensive time. Funny how I did not continue the practice to save my own expensive time. Ha ha.

G-G paste, I didn't think of freezing even though the peeling of ginger, garlic and then grinding it in 3 batches in the "small" grinder (another old faithful) is a beautiful collaborative effort between me and DH that would put many a co-sister combo to shame. : )

I swear this is key - do not take it to another room! The other day I ended up cleaning exactly 1 fridge draw, one square foot of kitchen counter, one bathroom's one shower door, and another bathroom's sink and the tub in the open area. (Hate this tub/jacuzzi thing). We are not so shameless (like that term) as to bathe in the open. That monstrosity sits there, gathers dust and needs to be cleaned. Years ago, it was very useful to give the baby/toddler a bath without straining my back.

This thread is like the FlyLady guide but without the western things that do not gel with my lifestyle. I liked that site many many years ago, and read it for a while, but things like "before going to bed wash the kitchen sink, and wipe it dry, make it shine so you can see you face in it" and early in the morning "dress up for the day, no matter what" didn't work for me. I will never wipe a washed sink. And early in the morning if dropping kid off to school, I was/am presentable but not dressed up!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
    kkrish and justanothergirl like this.
  2. Rihana

What a coincidence! I did start decluttering a few days ago using the start of school as a good date. Will post update including taking some credit for work done before learning about this initiative here. : )

kkrish likes this.
  3. Kaput

Kaput Gold IL'ite

Hi! Is there a reason not to store chopped onions in refrigerator?

4. Rihana

kkrish knows best.. but I've found that it a) stinks up the refrigerator no matter how air-tight the container b) the chopped onion loses freshness and gets watery.

I don't store chopped onions unless it is for 2-3 hours only like to make raita for a dinner party, and raita is the last item I usually make... often as the first guests start to arrive.

Another thing is that chopping onion that has been refrigerated does not cause eyes to water. If we store chopped onions in the refrigerator, tears are already shed. : )

Kaput, kkrish and justanothergirl like this.
  5. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thank you @Rihana
    It was indeed FlyLady that inspired me to focus on housework systematically.
    I was getting frustrated at so much to do and found myself always working, always late, and always tired. Once I separated work, it began to show a difference.
    It took some time and discipline too.
    Nowadays I have time to relax and give time to my hobbies too without feeling guilty if something is out of place for a day or two.

Instant Pot Tuvar dhal - once cup of tuvar dhal - Press Rice button (12 minutes). I have not tried less time.
    I place the tuvar dhal Early morning when I make my coffee. By the time I come down after my shower, it will be ready to use.

G_G paste : Someone here used an ice cube tray to freeze G-G paste. You get neat cubes to put in freezer bags and store.
    You might want to keep that tray for g-g paste only.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  6. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Hi @Kaput
    The reason is exactly what @Rihana mentioned.

However, just a couple of days ago my H got me this. I find chopped onions do not smell at all.
    I must admit that I stored chopped onions not more than a day in that one. So do not know how long we can stored chopped onions. Refrigerating onions does reduce tears and easier to slice.

download.jpg

mushroomm and Kaput like this.
  7. girvani

girvani Platinum IL'ite

Dear All,

I follow this thread and it helped me a lot and helping me. But, apologies that I don't comment. I need an advice regarding food storage and safety and thought this is the place i can get the answer. We all were aware of risk of using plastic for microwave heating. I want to know, if the plastic containers are manufactured BPA free then shall we use them for microwaving. I need to buy set of dishes for freezing and then eventually microwaving. Pyrex dishes are way more expensive than those of BPA free plastic containers. Please can anyone tell me what is the best way to go?

Many thanks,
    Vani

kkrish likes this.
  8. Caughtinbetween

Caughtinbetween Gold IL'ite

Hi everyone ,

i was searching for this thread since long but could not find it . Finally i am glad i found it yesterday.
    Wanted to ask you all wonderful members about inputs on my day to day schedule and pointers on improvement.
    i work full time and start my work early in the morning at 5.30 . So i wake up at 4 and get ready . Just do my stuff and pack the lunch box for my H and I . i do not cook anything in the morning. i take my lunch box and snacks and BF packed in zip lock bags which were packed previous night. I go to ofc and have BF over there . My h eats either granola or fruits for BF at home . he leaves for work at about 8.30-8.45 . he drops me to my ofc in the morning by car which takes like 40 mins to and fro . I pack lunch box in the morning because I put brown rice in the rice cooker at night with delayed timer so that its ready by the time i get up. And also its fresh . i tried cooking the rice in a regular setup of brown rice but then it stays in keep warm through out the night which burns the rice at the bottom. So switched to delayed timer. i eat breakfast at ofc which is usually the heaviest meal like brown rice with sabzi or frozen chapatis with sabzi . My job is such that i have to stand and walk around a lot around the building for the whole day so I feel very weak if BF gets delayed or less because mornings get very busy over there . By around 11-12 i feel hungry again and eat either the granola or fruits . I would usually keep aside part of the rice in the box or few rotis to eat around 3 -3.30 . I also sip water in between or some low/zero calorie coconut water or smart water in between . I try to drink as much water as possible in the morning itself and reduce the quantity by noon. I leave work at about 5.15 pm and start walk of 20 mins to the bus stop to catch bus to the station , then train and one more bus home . this last bus can be replaced by 27 mins walk if i am not too tired . But with 2ww going on right now , i am planning to start walking again to get some exercise . Because normal walking is what my dr. is asking to do at the moment . overall I cross 10k steps most days. i come home at about 7.15 and and sit for a few mins till 730 and start working . I first load the washing machine and then start unloading and loading the dishwasher which takes the most time . i am using kirkland dishwasher packs , i feel it leaves white spots , i also use the rinse liquid . But still i think the white stains are left which again i have to wash by water before keeping it away. then again i clean all the dishes of the left over food and load the dishwasher . Am also looking for some suggestions on this dishwasher problems , maybe i can use a better detergent , please advise which one .

Then i start cooking sabzi which is enough for the dinner and for next day lunch too and can be used with both rice and roti. i usually buy the uncooked roti available at indian grocery stores . of late my H has started expressing his displeasure over eating rotis everyday . but roti sabzi and curd is a regular dinner unless its my day off . while the sabzi is cooking i also wash the rice cooker utensil and put rice for next day , pack my snacks and bf . And take bath . By the time i am done sabzi is almost cooked . I also take all my pills in the meantime and a quick cleaning of the house like very basics . by this time its almost 9.30-945 . i take my crinone cream after which i am supposed to walk for 30 mins(thats what is worrying me more) but i could not because i am too tired and hungry .I eat dinner and prepare my dress for the next day and sleep by around 10.30 .

My H comes home by either 7.30 or 6.30 . He doesnt like to do dishes and laundry but sometimes comes to help me in the kitchen like cutting the veggies or sometimes cooks the veggies too . but it depends on his mood , i dont depend on him . because after he does that veggie there is more mess in the kitchen than before but anyways if he does i am thankful otherwise just let it be .

major cleaning i do during days off , other wise dishes and laundry just sits as it is . or if H needs some thing and its in the dirty pile he does the laundry. H is very touchy about freshly cooked food , no food in the freezer , no leftovers and stuff like that . i had earlier tried cooking and freezing dal and moong , chhole and half cooked soya granules etc but then he says that its frozen and he does not like it . Also his family has kinda fed in his mind that its bad and all . i agree it may not be the best but its ok . they look down at you very badly if you give them food which is not freshly cooked which to me sometimes is difficult. On some days I really get tired a lot running around in the ofc and it gets very busy so i dont have enough energy left to cook from the scratch. Ils never directly asked me but i am sure they ask H about it and pass subtle comments . i also want to cook fresh as much as possible but not possible always . getting food from outside is not an option for him .

i lost a lot of weight last year but i have gained all or more this year . Till last year , I could not work so I used to spend a lot of time doing exercises at home and dieting , walking etc. So just by all these things i lost all the weight . After I started working even though it is not a sitting job i gained a lot of weight , got all my blood work done , no hormones issue . taking metformin and other fertility meds till recently but not now . for just metformin , bp meds and prenatal +folic . I think i am eating more not exercising . the only time i go for a relaxed walk outside is on off days . I get weak immediately and feel like dizzy if i dont eat and start working at work or home . breakfast is very imp. for me . I can go few hours without lunch but not BF.So i tend to eat more and then by lunch time again i feel very hungry so i eat once more . I am starting to reduce my dinner to fruits and veggies now to see if it makes any difference . I am sure it should reduce the calorie intake during dinner by like 400cal i guess .

I know that many of the members here with kids manage their schedule much better than this so i asking your help with it .

what are your advises on improving myself . thank you

kkrish likes this.
  9. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Hi @girvani
    Sorry for not responding to your post earlier.

I use freezer bags as much as possible to save freezer space. I then transfer the items to a MV safe container.

I know this is not the response you are looking for; hope some one will find you a good solution.

girvani likes this.
  10. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Hi @Caughtinbetween
    I read your extremely busy schedule and to be honest, my mind is reeling.
    You are out of the house for 12 hours and you get only 5.5 hours of sleep.

This is too little sleep time and can be the culprit for your weight gain.

I am glad you are eating good breakfast. Do not give that up. Eat well. You need energy to do your job.

Have you gone through this thread?
    At this point I really don't know what advice give. I'll think about this and if I come up with a good solution, I'll get back.