1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Time management - cooking, cleaning, and exercise

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by kkrish, Apr 22, 2012.

1. coffeecups

coffeecups Gold IL'ite

That was a busy Sunday indeed!!

2. Mitali10

Mitali10 New IL'ite

Dear friends,
    it is heartening to see the time tested good suggestions on efficient utilization of time.
    As far as dough is concerned , if u put it in fridge in a closed container with a few drops of oil ( mustard or vegetable oil) rubbed over the upper surface of dough it remains soft and fresh for 3-4 days.
    I would like to know about the best model of high power 600-750 mixer grinder available in India that can be used for grinding hard items like turmeric as well as making paste of small grains like Posta(khus-khus) and mustard seed? Has anyone used the Maggi Rio coconut scrapper attachment that can fit on many brands of existing mixer grinders ?

Madhumagie and kkrish like this.
  3. girvani

girvani Platinum IL'ite

Dear All,

Its impressive to see the schedules and plans. My weekend went well although I am down with chest cough and fever. But I didn't have time or resource to take care of my self. These days , I am being active and quite busy with research and the lecturing. Would love to know about oil bath, what is that?
    Have a good week everyone
    Love
    vani

kkrish likes this.
  4. coffeecups

coffeecups Gold IL'ite

My Sunday was ok.
    I cleaned up the pile of clothes, re arranged my clothes cupboard, washed a batch of clothes in washing machine and let it dry. I still have clothes to hand wash.
    I made soraka dosai. Peeled fruits. Today, I made it into a fruit salad. Afternoon was rice, karakuzhambu.
    On the personal front, I didn't do anything.

Today evening after I came back from work
    5-7relax, made coffee, dozed off
    7 went out, bought some shallots, made chicken curry, and washed grapes
    Cleaned up kitchen counter
    Heated some ready to eat parathas
    Had dinner with dh
    Made a grape strawberry fruit salad for myself.

5. coffeecups

coffeecups Gold IL'ite

As a part of healthy eating, everyday I plan to go easy on one meal. Since the motivation to eat healthy is maximum in the mornings, I make fruit bowls or some kanjis. But, it doesn't keep me full till 2pm, my lunch break. And unfortunately I can't allot a snack break around 11. So, I'm following some simple steps to eat healthy.
    1. Eat atleast 2 fruits and 2 veggies a day
    2. If time permits, chop the fruit or veggie into a bowl and have it as a salad.(the reason being, eating a banana as it is looks normal, but when u chop and eat it, you realise the portion size, savour each bite and since cut fruits occupy more space, they give us a sense of satiety)
    3. Drink lots of water
    4. Eat enough protein. I started taking either egg / chicken regularly. On Sundays I stock some chicken breast in the freezer and use for Monday/Tuesday curries. For rest of the days, I use eggs. nuts are also a good choice. Preferably, almonds. Once in a while I make dates almond milk shake ( without added sugars)
    6. Every Thursday is sprouts day in my house
    7. Friday is dal day. (Either as kootu or sambar)
    8. I regularly enter my meals in an app and check whether I'm eating within my budget. It helps me check whether I'm eating all groups of food equally.
    9. Similarly, fiber is very important. So, once a week is keerai. One more day I make some beans.
    These are all I could think now. In our busy schedules of work and home management, I didn't want health to take a back seat. So making changes to my cooking routine.
    I'm new to cooking too. Sometimes I tend up eating ready to eat foods, but I will slowly eliminate them too.
    Im learning that healthy eating is a conscious choice and if followed religiously, becomes an innate reflex over the years. Today, my mother doesn't use any app to keep check of her diet, but due to years of practising healthy eating, she automatically reaches for healthy foods. Probably, it's like our body adapts to our new changes.
    How do you all ensure health of your family. Do share your thoughts

6. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

@coffeecups
    Love your determination for eating healthy and the spread of healthy foods over the week. I learned something. Will try to follow this.

@girvani Oil bath refers to applying some warm oil to the hair and to the body, leaving it on for sometime and washing off - hair with Shikai powder and body with Green gram dhal powder. Nowadays these are replaced with shampoo and soap/bodywash respectively.

When I was a teenager with no other responsibility than to study, play, and make myself look pretty, I would regularly make a paste of sandalwood, coconut oil, turmeric apply to my face, arms, calves and feet. I would put drops of oil in each toe and each nail. Of course the hair was soaked wiht warm sesame seed oil (gingley oil).
    Moong dhal powder with some dried rose petals, turmeric powder, sandal wood paste, used to be my body wash. This would help in exfoliating the skin.
    The experience, every Saturday afternoon was bliss.
    After this oil bath I would sleep from 2-4 pm. Would wake up very refreshed and felt beautiful too. :)

swathi27, bravo1809, shifas and 5 others like this.
  7. chithirainilavu

chithirainilavu Gold IL'ite

i'm just reading and giving likes for the posts.

January was super hectic. After a refreshing vacation, DH fell sick. Initially we thought a viral fever, then blood test revealed Dengue. Was quite panicking, platelets started dropping. Then gave him papaya leaves juice, by god's grace it started raising. He had to be admitted, running around for that and kids school. Luckily in laws came and stayed with us for some time. A big relief.

This month it is sabarimalai fasting. DH and DDs are going to sabarimalai in Mid March , so 41 days fasting. Cleaned the whole house, stopped my maid also. Complete house work under my control. Fasting is fruits and milk for breakfast and lunch and dinner is a proper meal for 41 days for me and DH. Kids normal food. No outside food, bread and biscuit, jam and sauce and chocolate, so far good.

So there is change in my routine, I'm liking this routine. I can do work on my own speed and need not wait for maid. Big relief.

Couldn't comment separately girls. But u all r rocking and i'm inspired more.

shara

8. coffeecups

coffeecups Gold IL'ite

Welcome back
    Good to know that your dh has recovered
    There is a pill available which contains these papaya leaf extracts. It is believed to increase platelet counts.

9. bravo1809

bravo1809 Bronze IL'ite

Hey All

Though I dont post often, I read all the posts in this thread and it amazes me how each one of you are managing so much. My routine yesterday
    Home just before 6
    Me and my ds had left over pav bhaji for snack
    6 took position in kitchen (already knew what I was cooking) kadi pakora, spinach dal and prawn curry. I finished by 8 including cleaning. I gave my ds dinner in between had my dinner and by 9 I was on bed. Here is where I am struggling have 2 exams in march but nor enough studying. I slept before 10:BangHead:.

Have a good week lovely people.
    V

kkrish likes this.
  10. coffeecups

coffeecups Gold IL'ite

Don't worry about studying at nights.
    You might be tired after working in the office, cooking and cleaning works.
    Hit bed early.
    But wake up early, say one hour early before others in the house wake up
    Morning is the best time to study. Make a cup of hot tea or coffee, and dig into those books.
    Good luck

bravo1809 and kkrish like this.