1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Time management - cooking, cleaning, and exercise

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by kkrish, Apr 22, 2012.

1. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thank you @Lakshmi6197
    You are very sweet to call me sunshine. Glad I could make your days brighter.

coffeecups and Lakshmi6197 like this.
  2. coffeecups

coffeecups Gold IL'ite

Sure
    I will start from today
    However I'm a married working woman with no cook/maid currently (no kids yet)
    This thread gave me hope that I can manage my home without help. All I need to be is organised.
    Will come back tonight with today's update :hello:

3. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

@justanothergirl
    Hi JAG
    I am amazed that you made CC-Cookies also! Wow lady!
    Sorry JAG, you do have to go through this. Evenings are very time crunched. We only have a maximum 4-hour window - 5pm- 9pm - to take care of the so many things.
    Your evening routine reminded me of the days of homework, soccer practices, swimming lessons, etc. I actually did the bad thing, gave up taking care of my health - stopped exercise. Paying a price now. I am so glad you are running.

Once your kids hit middle school and high school - those seven years keep your evenings and weekends very tight.
    Hang in there.
    I am sure you are already doing this -
    • I allotted laundry day for each child - He was responsible for laundering his clothes. Of course i had to keep an eye on this to prod them.
    • Clearing dinner table - if one cleared the dinner table the other had to load the dishwasher.
    • Weekend room cleaning and alternate turns cleaning their shared bathroom- I still had to supervise this - my younger child was great at trying to get away from this chore. :)
    My first time-relief came when my elder son began driving - 11th grade.
    He loved being behind the wheel and would drive to school and after school activities. I would send him on small errands and use that time for other pending chore.

Same thing after the second child also started driving.

I won't go into how I felt about this though :)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  4. coffeecups

coffeecups Gold IL'ite

Hi all,
    Came back as promised
    Though my day wasn't much productive, I atleast wanted to report back as a sort of self-esteem discipline.
    Went through the flylady site. Was very motivating.
    Made a planner for tomorrow
    And did my before the bed routine.
    Lol. I never followed a routine earlier, being a great procrastinator myself. But, I sincerely hope I will make this a regular habit hereafter and be regular in posting my updates.
    P.s did not exercise today ( the climate is so cool and gloomy) will try to tomorrow
    Good day till then

kkrish likes this.
  5. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

• Wow K that is pretty neat..getting kids to pitch in should help quite a bit. I will try involving them more.

kkrish likes this.
  6. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

HI @coffeecups
    Great start! Hope you were able to accomplish some on your planner the next day.
    Procrastinator your said? So am I. Given a chance I would postpone doing something.
    But life wielded a strict hand. So had to mend my ways :)

Looking forward to many more posts from you.

Madhumagie and coffeecups like this.
  7. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Hi everyone.. Wishing a great Sunday morning to US friends.
    Yesterday I logged in with every intention of posting here, but was caught up in the wonderful world of carnatic music. I spent a long time listening to all the new music posted in that thread. :)

Friday
    • Woke up at 4:15 am and had my classes between 5-6 am.
    • 6 am - While coffee was going on placed a large amount of tuvar dhal in the pressure cooker on my induction stove. Set the timer.
    • By the time I posted here and returned, the dhal was done. My m-i-l used to tell that we should have dhal in our food on Fridays. So always followed that.
    • Roasted for "araithu vitta sambar" - let it cool
    • Roasted onion and tomatoes, green chillies for chutney - let that cool
    • Placed rice in rice cooker
    • Placed idlis in idli steamer
    • Began Sambar process and while the sambar was boiling, cut Vazhakkai (Plantain) into cubes and boiled them with salt and turmeric.
    • While these two on the stove, first ground the paste for sambar in the small container, an using the large container ground the chutney.
    • Completed the sambar. Finished everything with "thaalippu" (Thadka) and started the plantain curry. Left it on low flame and had my breakfast. Switched off vazhakai.
    • Packed my lunch and left for work.

By 2-3 pm the effects of two days of reduced sleep began and I started coughing and sneezing, feeling feverish. Somehow managed to complete my day.
    Came home wanting to hit the bed straight away. After coffee I just curled up on the sofa till about seven. (yeah, my mom was not happy about me sleeping at 6 pm on a Friday - Sreedevi won't come to the house. But my tired body couldn't obey this time and chose to turn away a million dollars.)

Around seven pm, I got up to make a quick "mor kali" with the leftover buttermilk and went to bed early taking some tylenol.
    Slept well.

Saturday
    • Woke up only at 6 am. That was some delicious sleep.
    • My cough sniffles still remained.
    • Had my coffee and soaked millets and dhal for adai.
    • Came here to post and spent lot of time listening to music.
    • After breakfast, my hubby asked me for a dinner date that night. :cheer:.
    • We went to our weekly grocery shopping. Went to the local oriental store. Bought some brinjal, and greens.
    • Came home about 2 pm. relaxed for some time.
    • Around 4 pm I ended my unwinding time and began work.
    • Cleaned the master bedroom - vacuumed, dusted, and changed bed linen. My bedroom has minimal furniture. So did not have much to clean.
    • After that room, did the same to my mom's room.
    • Of course there was the bed linen washing.
    • Went out to dinner and back.
    • Nothing else. Overall a very relaxing day.
    My exercise goal on both days fell short. Friday I made around 8,000 steps. (I park very far away - that gives me a lot of steps). Saturday about 5-6K steps.

Hope to have a productive Sunday.
    :ciao:

8. justanothergirl

Oh @kkrish hope u feel better soon. My sat was pretty packed .
    Got up early (for a sat JAG standard kk ok va?:blush:) made mixed veggies quinoa upma.
    While this was going on chopped veggies and got IP started for bisibelebhath. Ground masala kept it in the fridge.
    Had breakfast with DH ,soaked tamarind and left for a hike . We did 10 miles not much ..but I was walking with colleagues closer to my sons age ( ok :p exaggerating a bit) and it had a nice gradient..so I had to push myself to keep pace .Came back made bisibelebhath. While it was getting done made a quick raita and fried appalam. DH had finished music practice with kids .That freed up a chunk of my time. Served lunch ..DH cleaned up while I scanned their rooms ..got laundry going. Sat down with DS1 for his project due on Mon:smash2::smash2:. After getting him started ....I was looking through the panry to see what I can whip up ...
    Made coconut macaroons :banana:...and kids gobbled up quite a few so a cup of hot cocoa was all they needed for a snack.
    Continued to sit with DS for his project....by that time it had become a community project and the whole brood was pitching in..so left him in good hands .Made puri bhaji for dinner
    ..served dinner ..cleaned up and sat down to make a list of things to buy .
    I didnt get as much cleaning(Cooking check exercise check) done as DS school got priority oh well.. time well spent so no complaints !
    Today is my grocery shopping day..I have my menu (thanks KK) .. just wrapped up breakfast (dosa and chutney)..Will head out soon .
    I still need to figure out my walk time ..wont push myself today.
    For meeting my exercise goals more consistently I try to be a part of hiking groups. The first thing I do when I join a company is to look around and see if there is one already..it wasnt ..there was a biking group no hiking...so started one. It never ceases to amaze me just how many people love outdoors . We are now a strong group of of 15 and there is always someone hiking somewhere and its easy to stick to a routine when u have enjoyable company.
    Will post about today tomorrow.

kkrish and coffeecups like this.
  9. coffeecups

coffeecups Gold IL'ite

Sunday went like this
    Got up a little late. Made tea for us and guests
    Boiled some milk for dh for his cornflakes and made veggies uthappam for rest of us
    Soaked rice and dal for idli batter
    Made some ginger/ garlic paste
    Peeled shallots
    Spent some time with guests and had lunch ordered from outside. Oooph. One big work escaped.
    Grinded batter ( I'm still new to this and it takes me lot of time and effort)
    Took a bath. Went out and bought a helmet.
    Came back and made tea for everyone.
    Dinner was spinach seminar ( MTR one)
    Finally dropped off our guests at bus stand and caught on some last minute shopping
    Came back home and had dinner watching TV.
    Did a mini pre bed routine. Skipped a few, as I am too tired.
    Goodnight everyone
    P.s . Am I happy about how I spent today? Not completely. Could have done certain other things but then some progress is better than no progress.

kkrish and justanothergirl like this.
  10. justanothergirl

Ah how did I miss this ..so cute...
    tell us all about how the date with Mr.K went !

coffeecups and kkrish like this.