1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Time management - cooking, cleaning, and exercise

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by kkrish, Apr 22, 2012.

1. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

No no...@kkrish....nothing at all..he just worries that I already have too many irons in the fire and why add hot breakfast in the morning. If I take an hour to actually plan the week (*Thanks to ur thread:beer-toast1:)its actually quite doable. Its easy to mix and match with one multipurpose idli+ dosa batter I have 3 breakfast items(idli ,kuzhi paniyaram and dosa) ..one day cereal and one day bread/bagel, All five days are relatively easily covered and there is such joy in seeing them polish off a plate of hot steaming idlis or dosa that I feel its worth it.
    ayyo K :facepalm: I need to take u shopping and fix this :)

kkrish likes this.
  2. justanothergirl

The subji from previous days dinner + cheese and or paneer between two slices of nice crusty bread toasted in a panini grill for a nice lunch sandwich. Something I do often. On weekends I pair it up with soup for a nice eve snack.

yellowmango and kkrish like this.
  3. chillbreeze

chillbreeze Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Thanks KK, I am feeling better now. Hope your routine has started again. As you said whatever prep work I do in the weekends is helping me a lot during weekdays. So this week, till today I managed. Just one more day to go for weekend.

JAG, meal planning for a whole week is something I want to achieve but by the end of day 2 in my list..I give up. I was bored of regular idli/dosa/roti/upma/semiya for bf and dinner. Can you guys help me out with some easy, tasty and different dishes. Cereals wont help as DH is used to our bf and feels they are not stomach filling.

Idli/dosa batter made for a week is a life saver for me. I use that as a base and make different dosas (2-3 scoops of white batter with the following):
    1. Green gram sprouts ground in mixie with jeera, red chilli, pepper corns
    2. Wheat rava/semolina/powdered oats
    3. Flour made of black rice, quinoa and red rice
    4. Flour made of millets (ragi, kambu, cholam, barley)
    5. Soaked and ground little millets (sometimes with dals to make millet adai or tomato)
    6. Grated veggies/onions

justanothergirl and kkrish like this.
  4. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Glad to know that you had not tired yourself JAG @justanothergirl. Great ideas to use left over subjis. Cheese... the gift to moms to get children to eat veggies. Why kids, this mom loves cheese too. :)

Yes, idli-dosa batter is such a lifesaver. @chillbreeze Love your different combos. Must come to your home one day just to taste the different dosas. Glad to know you are better now. Also happy to know that planning is helping you out.
    Believe me, as you keep planning you will slowly learn to fine tune and soon be able to plan for the entire week.

Sure lady. Come over.. Let's have a blast.
    I know.. the pot holder is inexcusable:buenrollo:. But what's a girl to do when Brewster's Millions is played on her?
    Now, coming to think of Brewster's millions, perhaps million dollars would propel me go shopping - those diamonds as we enter Costco have been tempting me way too long.

Madhumagie and justanothergirl like this.
  5. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Wednesday...

5:30 - 6:30 am - Rose. Made coffee. Coffee and internet. Once the coffee cup emptied, cleaned my desk of unwanted stuff. Shredded bills. Emailed some reminders to my work email.

6:30 - Threw a batch of clothes in the washing machine. Collected water bottles from the bedside table. Went downstairs. Washed the water bottles, filled them up and placed them in the fridge.

• Lit agarbathi and began my cooking. As I was going to use the previous day's food for lunch there was not much to do.
    • First I placed rice in the rice cooker. (In the early days of my marriage I would do this last and many times my husband would eat half-cooked rice because he would have to go to a meeting. Lesson learned) If rice is ready, even if nothing else is cooked, he can have curd rice with pickle.
    • Next I placed the batter in idli steamer. Same logic... if idlis are done they can be had with milagai podi if worst comes.
    • While the idlis were steaming, I made brinjal gothsu. (Breakfast ready).
    • I had run out of tamarind extract. So Pressure cooked a large amount of tamarind, bottled, and refrigerated the extract, after using the required quantity for gothsu. (One major prep work already done)
    • I churned buttermilk - seasoned with ginger, fenugreek powder, and "thaalippu."
    • Revived the rasam with some fresh thallippu, coriander leaves, and curry leaves.
    • Revived the vegetable by sauteing a small piece of onion, and some grated coconut.
    Moved the washed clothes to the dryer. Had my b'fast, Packed my lunch. Left for work. Took the dry cleaning.

Exercise.
    By the time I reached work I had taken about 1,000 steps.
    I took a ten minute walk during lunch break and small breaks taking the longer route to the water fountain and restrooms. When I came home I had logged in about 7,000 steps.

5:30 pm - Came home after leaving the clothes at the dry-cleaners en-route.

• Had my evening coffee while watching the recorded program (only one program).
    • Folded the dried clothes and put them away. Put another batch of clothes in the washer. These were sarees.
    • Knead chapatti dough. Made a quick subji for the chapattis.
    • Practiced my music for 30 minutes. Finding very difficult to sit cross legged for long (must work on this)
    • After taking a couple of phone calls, made chappatis and had our dinner.
    • By this time I had logged in another 1,500 steps totaling 8,500.
    • After dinner, walked round and round the home for 15 minutes till I reached 10,000 steps.
    • Did one more job toward kitchen cleanup - the hood above the range. Placed the filters and the stove grills in the dishwasher to wash. Sprayed cleaner on the hood and under and cleaned the grimy surface. Took me about 15-20 minutes to do this.
    • Placed the washed sarees on the rails to air dry.
    Went to bed.

The major things I accomplished
    • Met my exercise goal
    • Tamarind extract
    • Cleaned kitchen hood
    • Practiced my music
    • Getting clothes in order
    • Work desk cleared. Paper clutter avoided.

Have a great day...

6. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

Its a great inspiration to read your routines....not a single minute wasted...

kkrish likes this.
  7. justanothergirl

@kkrish how do u do that... ...so efficient..incredible...u made idli + kotsu+ rice +seasoned butter milk and revived a bunch of dishes all before u left for work.:worship2: I hope I can get there someday or atleast half the way.
    Today wasn't too bad for me...made semiya upma with veggies for breakfast,yesterdays mixed veggie + cheese panini sandwich for lunch before I left. I have pita bread and hummus + some left over banana bread..on the counter for their eve snack.
    @chillbreeze ..wow those are neat ideas with batter.
    hmm breakfast ideas sans idli/ dosa/ upma ...thats a tough call especially on weekdays
    Rice sevai (u can mix and match the podis lemon/tamarind/coconut)
    Rava idli
    gujarathi handvo
    Handvo - Baked Spicy Lentil Cake - Manjula's Kitchen - Indian Vegetarian Recipes
    pan cakes
    I also make warm oatmeal with walnuts bananas and dates(skip the sugar) . All men in the house love it.
    Sometime I bake banana muffins on sunday eve for their snack and they have it with milk in the morning for breakfast.

chillbreeze, Madhumagie and kkrish like this.
  8. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thank you @coolgal123 .

9. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thank you @justanothergirl .
    Erm.. it wascreally easy. one kadai, do thallipu for all three... buttermilk, rasam, and the curry, put a spoonful of each in buutermilj and rasam. to the remainder add chopped onion, saute and add the veggies.

My hubby likes only S. Indian, cooking all these years I come up with shortcuts that I dont think twice about.

Youve done a lot ! Love those neat ideas for alternates to idli and dosa. I should plan a trip to your home too, to enjoy good food.

justanothergirl likes this.
  10. justanothergirl

@kkrish.... brilliant one kadai for all three..if u can plan the order of the thadaka for a few sec before u rush to do it....I can hear my mom say ....[​IMG]

Madhumagie and kkrish like this.