1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Time management - cooking, cleaning, and exercise

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by kkrish, Apr 22, 2012.

1. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Tuesday, April 24 plan
    This week the Zone is Master (Main) Bedroom.
    5:00 am – 10 am: Same as Monday.
    10: am – do mini fitness routine for 5 minutes; drink water.
    1. Sit in a sturdy and comfortable chair. (No wheels please). Place one hand on each side of the seat directly under shoulders. Stabilize shoulders by sliding shoulder blades down.
    2. Inhale.
    3. Exhale while lifting hips up off the seat, tightening the abdominals.
    4. Inhale while holding the position.
    5. Exhale while lifting knees up towards the chest, feeling a strong contraction in the abdominals.
    6. Inhale while lowering knees to the starting position, keeping hips elevated.
    7. Repeat as strength permits, working for up to 30 seconds.
    1 minute – 10 calories.

new 001.JPG
    12-2 pm – same as Monday
    2pm – do mini fitness routine for 5 minutes; drink water.
    5pm – reach home.
    6:30 – 7 pm -. 20-30 minutes exercise or if no rain, do weeding for 20-30 minutes.
    7 – 7:30 pmVacuum ceiling and walls of bedroom. Wipe fan. Then wipe flat surfaces with damp cloth and buff dry. Vacuum floor; Change bed sheets and pillow covers. Change curtains.
    7:30 – Wipe down bathroom mirror, sink, counter top, commode before shower. Wipe down shower and let dry.
    8 pm: Have dinner. Grind cooled masalas for Wednesday. Wash dishes, clean sink. Wipe down stove top, sweep and mop floor.
    8:30-8:40-practice music
    8:45 – 9 pm: Clear closet.
    9:30- 10 pm – Before bedtime routine..
    Some tips:
    - As many know putting Rangoli in the morning is a good warming up exercise.
    - The early morning sun is good for health.
    - If not working outside the home in the afternoons, please do take a 30 minute nap. It helps in weight loss. (yes, contrary to the common belief of the opposite)
    - Mothers with toddlers can take this nap along with the kids.
    - Playing with children is good way of enjoying quality time and getting physical exercise.
    See you all tomorrow.

4 people like this.
  2. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

Hi Kamala,

Yesterday itself I planned this is what I am going to do today. But didn't expect the monthly power shut down for the whole day today. So mending work and bank works postponed to tomorrow.

But the happy news is, got up at 5, without taking bath came down completed the cooking and packing B/F and lunch for my son by 6.15. Then put kolam. Spent some time with my son as his regular classes start from today and he has to leave by 7 from home. Gave some tips to get adopted in the new environment. Waited for him to leave. DH dropped him in station. After he came back determined to use the treadmill. first it didn't get on. After some cajoling it was ok. Then did brisk walking - burnt 75 calories. In the meanwhile recited sashti kavacham. Before that woke my daughter and had asked her to brush and take bath. By 7.45 cleaned the bathroom floor and then took bath. By the I came down my daughter also had taken her bath and was ready for her B/F. While she had it I packed her lunch. Then combed and pleated her, got her ready. Bu 8.40 she was off to school by van. Then my DH told he has got an urgent meeting and I have to do the pooja today. Finished that after serving him B/F. After he left I had mine.

Hope this exercise routine continues. From tomorrow I will start earlier than 7. From June it will be still earlier as he will leave to school by 6.30. After long time both of them have gone to school and I am alone as my PILs also have gone to their native for a week. So even there is power cut the whole day (usually it is 2 hrs everyday 4-6pm) I have logged in to share my happiness of starting the exercise.

Regards
    Manjukps

1 person likes this.
  3. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Tuesday, April 24 plan
    What I really did today.
    Woke up at 5:15. Did morning routine
    Exercised for 30 minutes.
    Parked my car as far away from my building as I could.
    10 am: Same as Tuesday.
    10: amdid mini fitness routine for 5 minutes; drink water.
    I could not do my 2pm mini fitness. So I added a printer from across the hallway and made it my default printer. Today I had to walk at least 5 times to pick up my print out.
    5pm – home.
    I called my friend with whom I was playing phone tag for the past couple of days and had a long chat over my evening cup and then some.
    The weather was fabulous. The forecast said rain on Thursday and Friday. So my Master bedroom cleaning and evening workout were shelved for the day.
    6:40 -7:40 pm – Threw in the morning’s batch of clothes for drying. Did weeding, and planted a few perennials.
    8 pm: Had dinner after my shower which involved the usual wipe down.
    Another friend called and time just flew.
    Did not practice music. Checked my lunch menu for Wed. I was tired and not in a mood to roast, grind, or chop; so tweaked the menu to make something simple. Had some chopped onions; will do. Did the usual clean-up.
    9 pm: I just changed the bed sheets and pillow covers because I know I can’t get to the Bedroom cleaning till Thursday.
    9:30- 10 pm – Before bedtime routine.
    Today’s nutshell:
    Exercise – 100%
    House cleaning – 60%
    Hobbies -Music practice- Zero
    Unplanned events – phone calls.
    Keeping in touch with friends is important. Life is not all about housework, is it?:)

3 people like this.
  4. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Wednesday April 25 plan
    This week the Zone is Master (Main) Bedroom. But tomorrow it is back to the garden again.
    5:00 am – 10 am: Same as Tuesday. Park the car far away.
    10: am – do mini fitness routine for 5 minutes; drink water.
    12-2 pm – same as Tuesday.
    2pm – do mini fitness routine for 5 minutes; drink water.
    5pm – reach home.
    6:00 – 7:30 pm - Gardening
    7:30 – Wipe down bathroom mirror, sink, counter top, commode before shower. Wipe down shower and let dry.
    8 pm: Have dinner. Same routine Wash dishes, clean sink. Wipe down stove top, sweep and mop floor.
    8:30-8:40-practice music. Let me see if I can do it at least today 
    8:45 – 9 pm: Clear closet.
    9:30- 10 pm – Before bedtime routine.
    Today's exercise. Courtesy:Fitness magazine.

new 001.JPG
    See you all tomorrow.

2 people like this.
  5. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear Manju
    Nice to see your routine too.
    Trust this will be helpful for some moms who face the same situations with school-aged children.

With such a hectic routine that you have I think you don't need a separate exercise routine. My mind was spinning reading yours. :).

6. BuviVishal

BuviVishal Gold IL'ite

Hi Kamala,

You are sharing very good tips. In my case i am a working women, got married in last June. daily i am travelling 45km to reach office. i could not find the hours to care my health. as you said my husband is also asked me to do plan. we planned but cant follow after two days.:-(. how you can follow????

i will share my regular actvities for weekend and weekdays.

Weekdays:
    =======
    5.30 - 6.10 - wakeup and started to do cook lunch and breakfast(after that my MIL will continue :))
    6.10 - 6.20 - cleaning the home entrance and putting kolam (since we are staying in 2nd floor i have to come down and did this work and switch on the motor)
    6.20 - 6.30 - took bathing, breshing
    6.30 - 6.45 - getting ready to office, packing the lunch and breakfast
    6.50 - 8 - catching the office bus and hearing radio, speaking with my mother while travelling
    8-5.20 - office work, will do personal work as well like booking the ticket for film, checking IL, doing follwup works (if any issues is online bill payment i should call up them and should get resolved)
    5.20 - 6.20 or 6.45- return to home. based on the traffic i will reach home(maximum 7)
    7-7.45 - preparing tea, dress changing, cleaning the face
    7.45 - 8.45 - walking with husband (sometimes it wil be cancelled if i got any kitchen work)
    8.50 -10.00 - by watching tv preparing dinner (my MIL used to prepared the gravey for dosai, chappathi) i need to prepare chappathi and dosai alone
    10.00 - 10.30 - cleaning the kitchen
    10.30 - 10.40 - taking the tablets and water then go for sleeping.

i could not find the time to take care my feet :-(. daily thinking to clean my feet but not find the time. most of the time i was thinking i need extra hours to complete my work.

i am not able to follow the planning if i planned. can you please suggest me what to do now to get the time??? is anything i am doing incorrectly in my activites.i did not read any articles and books for time management

ok i will start my office work :-0:). i will post my weekend activities on today night :)

3 people like this.
  7. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamala,

(It is too big for a reply, still felt like sharing)

Today too I was able to do the work out.

Got up at 5. Hidden resolution is no 10 min nap after switching off the alarm.

Finished cooking and packing for my son by 6. Stick on to walking schedule.

As of now I have decided to cut vegetables except onion, make chappatis the previous day, which I will make rolls for his B/F. If its boring for him will make dosa or idli in the morning.

Prepare lunch in the morning. By 3 he comes and he can have snacks or curd rice. Same goes for my daughter.

On Saturday, my PILs will be back. They are very orthodox (to the extent we take along home made food and water for him even if go for marriages) So only after taking bath I have to do proper cooking i.e. rice, sambar, rasam, veg etc. For veg I have to be too picky for them, as they have likes and don't likes, then he often does tharpanam (96 in a year called shannavathi tharpanam) for which only I have to cook naatu kaai (Indian vegetables!? like vazhakai, pudalangai etc. leaving the don't likes and which are left in Kaasi :bonk). (So long I was doing one cooking for everybody as my both kids leave to school only by 8.30.)

Then at least by 9 myself and mil should have our B/F. Before she used to have second coffee and takes her meal after my fil. Now I am stubborn that she should have something as B/F being under treatment for her hiatus hernia and acidity. My DH starts to office around 9.30. He is also organized in maintaining his things, but I had push him hard for the morning walk.

Then other chores of the day are (of course with some alterations)

1. Over all cleaning by keeping things back in its place, dusting, putting clothes in washing machine etc. before maid comes.

2. Folding clothes, ironing uniforms, segregate formals to be given out for ironing etc.

3. At least weekly twice I have to go out for banks, buy vegetables, give gadgets/vehicles for repairs/services, getting it back etc before lunch. This I will combine while I go for yoga class twice a week.

4. If not going out will browse including IL, check mails, photo uploads, some follow-up in stocks of mine and DHs etc. If going out all these will be done after lunch around 12.30 or 1 PM. Grind idli batter simultaneously.

5. Time for my hobbies till 3/3.30. My mil takes care of serving fil's meal around 10.30/ 11, preparing some snack to be served around 2.30/3.

6. After that a very short nap or skip nap as the time permits. Surely up by 3.45 as my daughter will come by 4.15. Make coffee for me and mil, milk for my fil.

7. When my fil is here he will take care of watering plants in the evening and plucking flowers to do pooja in the morning (Otherwise DHs duty or I end up doing if he has early meetings/calls)

8. Make kids to pray around 6 and help them in their studies till 8 pm. Weekly twice take DD to music class from 6 to 7. She practices under my mom's supervision whenever she visits us, 2 days on her own for half an hour. Her study time those days of class is 7.30 to 8.30.

9. My mil prepares night tiffin at 7.30 (if dosai or adai) for my fil alone. For rest, I prepare around 8 to 8.30 (if dosa). If anything else I will be preparing for all in the evening itself and keep in hot-pack. Mostly chappatis as we take idli or dosa for morning B/F. Other choices are rava/wheat rava upma, rava idli, noodles/pasta etc. ( I have restrictions like no onions/garlic / garam masala/ noodles/ pasta etc for pils. If I am adding those in main or side dish then 2 preparations with and without restricted ingredients ).

10. My DH will be back from office mostly after 9pm. I serve or he serves himself his dinner. He spends sometime chatting with PILs. Meanwhile I finish cleanig the kitchen, empty sink, put to be washed vessels in a tub and keep it in the bathroom)

11. By 10 will make sure that kids are in bed on time. Then do little browsing, mostly IL. DH will be glued to TV (that's the only time he'll be at leisure). That's the time if anything to be shared with him. Anytime between 10.30 and 11 my DH starts snoring and I switch off the TV. Weekends being holiday for him we spend little more quality time. Otherwise our interactions are through sms (from appreciations to dis-approvals. Today he called to say the pulav for lunch was very tasty.)

I combine my outside work in such a way I don't go back and forth (including yoga class). Depending on my volunteer's time will be attending sanskrit class once or twice a week if it doesn't interrupt my kids study time.

Weekly schedules will be changing bed sheets, pillow covers, screens, wash netlon, some intensive cleaning, cob webs cleaning, garden cleaning, weeding etc.

Weekends schedules will be eating together at least one meal each day, bi-weekly outing, spending fun time while doing cleaning, watching TV together etc.

My fil has his own schedule. Nowadays he is adamant on keeping a small cooker by himself for neyvedhyam as our Madi is not enough. I just let him do it instead of too much :rant. though he interrupts my flow of cooking as he does it at his own pace and by mistake I should not touch him or the cooker. But he is too organized to write a snippet on sticking to his routines.

P.S. Today's sudden work is to pick up my DH from office which is half an hour drive as he left his car for service as A/C condenser is down. Hence he chose to work in another branch which is nearby the service station itself and nearer to me also. Otherwise it would take around 45 min to 1 hr. each way. To decide leave kids alone at home or take them also.

Regards
    Manjukps

8. kylie

kylie Gold IL'ite

dear Kamala,

Love the exercise routines that u hv included in yr thread. You come across as someone who loves to exercise, handles both office n home chores and is also good at time management.

However, looking at some of yr timings, I feel either u work at supersonic speed or I am too slow. For eg. u take a mere half hour to finish yr dinner, wash the dishes, clean the kitchen n mop the floor. While I take 15 mins to finish dinner, 20 mins to do the dishes and another 15 mins to clean to kitchen top, stove, chimney, sink n sweep the floor [we r a family of 4]

Anyways, ur routine is quite motivating n encourages one to be on the move always.

love,
    kylie

9. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

You are sharing very good tips.
    Thank you Bhuvi.

i could not find the time to take care my feet :-(. daily thinking to clean my feet but not find the time. most of the time i was thinking i need extra hours to complete my work.

You know, I too have the same problem. One of my goals is to be able to soak my feet in warm water every night and give them a good massage.
    But till that day comes, I just use pumice stone when I take my shower and then apply light cream in the mornings and apply thick vaseline at night and put on socks.
    You can soak your feet in water when you watch TV, or just before going to bed. But make sure to apply cream after every shower to keep you feet soft.

i am not able to follow the planning if i planned. can you please suggest me what to do now to get the time??? is anything i am doing incorrectly in my activites.i did not read any articles and books for time management

I really don't know how to answer your query.
    First, your commute to work is very long and I can understand how your evening schedule is very tight.
    Secondly I do not know where you want to save time - in cooking or cleaning house.
    I just saw kylie's feedback and realize i must provide some information in the next few weeks. Please see if you can adapt any to suit your lifestyle.

Planning is definitely a good thing to start with..initially it may appear to not work, but if you start doing at least one thing on your list, slowly you will be able to gt into a routine. Planning gives direction - sometimes we have to take another route to arrive at our destination. That's all.

dimple7, shellysethi and knbg like this.
  10. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

My dear Manju
    Wow! That was really mind boggling.
    Two kinds of cooking and with all the out-of-house chores that you do, really I am amazed how clean your home is in the "Clean home" thread. you appear to be super-woman.

I notice that your mornings are very hectic compared to slower afternoons. Would you be able to shift your treadmill time to later in the day? Just a thought.