1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Time management - cooking, cleaning, and exercise

Discussion in 'Spotless Kitchen' started by kkrish, Apr 22, 2012.

1. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

I think everyone will agree that for us women, irrespective of whether we work outside the home or not, married or not, with children or not, have domestic help or not, time management is crucial.

At some time or the other we must surely have wished there were 30 hours a day.

I am one such person. Many times, overwhelmed by the sheer volume of tasks at hand, I have felt I cannot take it anymore.
    But the stark reality is whether we like it or not we have to take care of our homes, clean, make our home comfortable for our family, prepare healthy and delicious meals on time (this combination is so hard:)), maintain our health, and rear our children to be excellent citizens of the world!

Having worked in India since marriage I had adjusted my routine many times to accommodate the changing size and needs of my family. However, there was always something not right with my time management and I always ended up feeling I have been working the whole day without accomplishing anything.

My home and my mind were always in the state of CHAOS (Can’t Have Anyone over Syndrome).:drowning

One day overwhelmed with work I decided to see on paper where my time goes.
    •Weekday – 24hours; Sleep time – 8 hours; Remaining – 16 hours; Work + commute- 8 +2= 10
    •Remaining -6 hours
    •Weekends – 48 hours; Sleep time – 16 +2(to wake up late) = 18hours
    •Balance= 30 hours
    •Deducted TV time, computer time, calling family & friends, personal grooming etc.
    •This roughly left about 4-5 hours on each weekday and 20-25 hours on weekends. (Actually less)
    •Deducted an entire weekday/afternoon (be it for outings, movies, or just doing nothing).
    •Listed all the work and the approximate time each takes. Some were multi-tasks- e.g. while a load is washing, another drying, another batch is folded and ironed, or a small area cleaned.

I now realized that I had more work than I had time:rant!

I read a lot of time management books, websites, articles, even here on IL, and got tips from everyone. I found the two sources helpful – one was a book that told me to get up an hour early (see my article on this http://www.indusladies.com/forums/s...ion/129813-in-search-of-time.html#post1719230 ) and the other was Flylady.net.

The second one was more appealing because the main message was to do stuff in small chunks and the whole house was separated in zones for each week.

Another source of my inspiration was my late grandmother. She lived well into her 90s, was very active till the end. The one mantra she always lived her life by was, “don’t sit; keep moving”.

Having adapted flylady’s cleaning methods I tweaked the routines a bit to suit my lifestyle.

I thought I will share my consolidated time management that includes, cooking, cleaning, and exercise each day here. My husband’s job takes him out quite often, and my kids are away in college, so I did not factor their help in my calculations. If they pitch in when home, fine; but I decided to plan my days, assuming that I am handling everything on my own.

My routine is not a one-size-fits-all solution because everyone’s life style and family demands are different. However, even if one person finds it useful, I will be happy.

Anyways, why don't we give it a try and see if this works?
    Please feel free to add in your routines too so that someone somewhere can follow it.

Rihana, messedup, shravs3 and 74 others like this.

2. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Let’s go.
    Some points:
    • Flylady says to “dress up to your shoes”. Well, I am old-school and still do not wear shoes inside the home but I change from my sleepwear to regular clothes in the morning and this energizes me to start work.
    • Now it’s warm so you will find a lot of garden and yard work in my schedule.
    • I have too many sarees for which I haven’t sewn the edges/falls. This will be my daily focus for the next weeks/months till all are done.
    My plan for Sunday, April 22.
    5:00 am – Wake up. Make the bed.
    5:30-6:30 am – Exercise
    6:30-7:30 am – Weed garden, plant plants. (if it rains skip this part)
    7:30-8:30- Clean the bathroom and then take shower. Post shower - Wipe down the shower stall and leave to air dry (to prevent mold)
    8:30 –10 am
    • put one batch of clothes in washer.
    • Light lamp in puja room. Chant prayers.
    • Breakfast – prepare, enjoy, wash dishes, clean up.
    10 am – noon –
    • Cook lunch and dinner. Wash dishes. Clean up.
    • Dry clothes. Wash another batch of clothes.
    12 –3pm -fold clothes, lunch, go weekly grocery shopping.
    3-4 pm – put away groceries; dry clothes, fold, iron.
    4:30 – 5:30pm– music class
    5:30 – 7pm –
    • Light lamp for deity.
    • Check vegetables, prepare menu, roast, grind masalas as needed –refrigerate/freeze; pressure cook dhal-cool, freeze into usable portions, soak dry ingredients.
    • Chop onions and refrigerate.
    7-9pm -
    • Dinner.
    • Wash dishes, clean kitchen sink, wipe down stove, sweep and mop floor.
    • Throw away trash. Place clean liner in trash can.
    • Sew falls if needed and iron one saree and its matching blouse.
    9-9:30 pm – Brush teeth, moisturize hands and feet, write down-Monday’s schedule.
    Tomorrow, I will post Monday’s plan.

dhivyacc, dimple7, sunitad and 46 others like this.
  3. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

Hi Kamala,

Good thinking. Very valuable schedule.

Hope you also went through the thread 'clean home' where our ILs have poured in their valuable suggestions and tips on clean home. But cooking and exercise routines not included there.

My humble request is If you post your much valuable schedules in that thread it'll be nice as there are already many followers in that

Regards
    Manjukps

1 person likes this.
  4. Savvyheal

Savvyheal Gold IL'ite

Dear Kamalaji,
    Thanks for the post.
    Time Management is very vital.Some times I procrastinate and make up for the same later.
    Recently I read one article from mindtools.
    It helps one to analyse how good is one's time Management skills.

Love Thanks Divine,
    Savvyheal

dimple7, latharam09 and kkrish like this.
  5. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear Manju
    Thank you for your feedback.
    Yes, I know about "Clean home" and I nominated it for the winning post.
    I also nominated your contributions in the subsequent month :).

I did think of posting it there but for the very reasons you mentioned - cooking and exercise were not part of that thread I decided to start a new one which addresses all the challenges we women face.

I read through all the threads in this forum and found valuable tips but nothing specific on how to incorporate them in daily routine. Actually my intention here is to also focus on stuff that we plan but cannot accomplish in a given day and to forgive ourselves for not being perfect.

Therefore because of the slightly different direction I intend this thread to take, I thought I should start a fresh one.

4 people like this.
  6. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear Savvyheal
    Thank you for your feedback.
    I will definitely read mindtools. It sounds interesting and I definitely can use some valuable information on Time Management.

dimple7 likes this.
  7. latharam09

latharam09 Platinum IL'ite

Desperately needed topic..

8. manjukps

manjukps IL Hall of Fame

Yes Kamala I remember you nominated me for the contributions. Sometimes I really get confused with names and their respective Ids.

Well. Really I am looking into add on some excercise routines in my schedule. Never able to incorporate it. Very much hoping, that I get motivated to do that. I have treadmill at home. Since my in-laws have moved in with us and are very orthodox I always take bath as soon as I get up at 5 and start cooking. After bath somehow I don't get that mood to excercise as I would prefer to take bath after that. Anyway as my son is joining in new school and he has to start to school at 6.30 itself I have to settle into my new routine of getting up earlier than 5. Hoping to do 2 cookings that is before bath and after bath. If that is so, I should get time in between these two and make my daughter to get ready for her school.

I'll keep watching this thread and let me get committed to tell you back that I'm exercising and reduced my weight by 5 kg in next 6 months.

Regards
    Manjukps

dimple7 and kkrish like this.
  9. Megalife

Megalife Platinum IL'ite

Hi Kamala
    A red-hot thread lady!
    I pride myself at being excellent in time management....sorry to be a brag!....but I do pride.
    Let me tell you my yeaterdays routine.....that will be the most motivational day to choose (as SAts is my maids weekly off) ;) :)
    Saturday is our week end here. Woke up at 8 am ( no woke up at 7:30), pretended to be asleep....but when I realised that my Dh had no intentions of fixing the tea I wriggled out of bed! The tea was almost done when I realised that it was the day for our medical appointment (both Dh and me) and we had to be on fasting to run the blood screening! CHRIST!!!!
    Asked my kids options for breakfast, on Saturdays they really bully me..... they hate eggs and that makes my life very miserable. Made them a special arabic wrap with the previous evenings leftovers.....yes I fooled those bratzzz.
    Made rice, chicken curry, beans fry and yam mash! Just took me 20 mins since all onions, chillys etc. were washed, chopped and at hand for ready use (Amen....to my maid)
    Shower, change took me another 20 mins (screaming at the kids from the shower, kitchen, dressing room included).
    Walked to the hospital (2km approx.)....is this my idea of spending quality time together with dh?...well may be!
    For those of my Ilites who live in this part of the world.....the hospital sucked 2 hours of our time. In between sneaked to starbucks for some coffee (was it romantic...again maybe! :WINK) after giving blood samples!
    Did not walk back home...was too hot!...took a cab!
    Reached home for lunch, a quick wash and hogged on the lunch as if had come from the KOSOva refugee camp!!!! My DS wanted to imitate Russel Peter and we obliged as the audience....I must say he doesit really well!
    Siesta for an hour, had to drop DD for a party. Got her dressed up (thatzz what princesses are for...aren't they?) with hoolahoops earings, boots and stuff!
    Left home at 4.30 pm; on the way got my car washed, it was a disgrace from last weeks drizzle, stopped at a sports store to buy a gift.
    Reached the mall at 5.30 just in time for the movie (party to take off). Spent some 3 hours mall shopping while DD attended her party (Hmmmm...ladies a full 3 hrs to myself)...bought some Kipling luggage, got some great deals....some special promo!
    Pampered myself to some yum ice creams (so who was having a party the DD or the mother?), shopped at the hypermarket and was all relaxed and rejuvenated to pick up my DD at 8:30 pm. Drove like a lunatic back home. Left the car to Dh to find a good parking, I need the car in the morning to start the week, so the parking better be good. Rushed home, fixed some greens and pasta for dinner....kids off to bed.
    Watched the movie ladies V/s Ricky Bahl (second half, rest was watched the previous days).......to bed by 11.30 pm.
    Crazy routine...hope no one nowwhere follows!!!
    Mega

10 people like this.
  10. kylie

kylie Gold IL'ite

Hi Megalife,

Yr schedule was pretty hectic on sat but most of it was outside home. Would certainly like pointers for time management of household chores - I somehow lose out on that one. There is so much to be done each day n cleaning takes most of the time at hand. No matter how hard I plan, at the end of the day, there r always a couple of things that do get left out.

love,
    kylie

dimple7 likes this.