1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Time-Life Total Development Educational Library

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by sumanr, Jan 25, 2010.

1. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

2. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

Hi Ramya, somehow missed this thread.

I bought the first set - 'A Child First Library of Learning', has 24 big books and am using it for 4 months now. I have taken out only 3 books till now. The 'Walter' that comes with it is great piece.. DS loves it.. This 'Walter' does not come with any other set.

if you haven't actually heard of how it works - All the books in this set has a small icon against most pictures. This walter has a laser pen. point this laser pen on the icon and it talks to you. Like you see a pic of a big fish eating little fishes, the icon against it will have the voice of the fish - telling you what types of fishes he likes and why he eats them, etc.. Also, in a book P found two monkeys.. one smiling and one angry, the icon against it has the voice of the happy monkey laughing and another monkey howling in anger.. Also each page tells abt a particular thing/ animal/ bird, etc. and has a note to the parent on each page - which tells the parent a little more info on the topic of the page that will help us understand. Another thing I liked abt this is each page has some descriptions and certain simple words used like 'garbage', 'soft', 'tight', 'pet'... that a 2 or 3 yr old can become familiar with are written seperately in the page footer and has tiny icons against each of them.. the walter used on them will pronounce the words clearly so kids can repeat.. P likes that part and thats the only time he sits in one place andthis is a wonderful product.. can be used for children upto 12 - 14 yrs I think.. I plan keeps repeating those words..

I think these books can be used as a guide for his future project works..The only part that is a hitch in this product is the price. It was expensive for me to pay in toto.. I went for the EMI option (24 months) and hence I dont mind now.

This information that is on the books can be googled or some can be available in the child's encyclopedia.. BUT with this book, I see kids are easily able to relate to the topic and gets them easily interested in reading it.

Let me know if you have any questions.

3. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Thanks Arthi.
    One of my friends bought this and he referred it to us. So wanted some opinion on it.
    Planning to go for the presentation and then decide

4. radhee

radhee Bronze IL'ite

AD...I didn't know you could buy the first library of learning separately. How much did it cost you? And what is the age it is recommended? I really want his one but hubby says that Ben will snap the laser pen and Walter may become useless...which also seems right...How old is your son?

Radhee.

5. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Hey

I went for the presentation and the First Library seems to cost 40K+.
    The total set comes to 1.3L or so .... too expensive for me :((

6. arthidiva

arthidiva Silver IL'ite

hey Radhee, my DS is 3 yrs old. he has been using walter from 2.5 onwards. you can use it once Ben gets used to crayons.. when he knows to hold things like pencil / crayons the right way, he can use the walter the right way.. for the first few days youo might have to monitor and help him but then he will get the hang of it soon.. it is very friendly to use. the walter is one interesting piece of work.

Ramya, trust me that set is still expensive for me too.. it worked to around 35K but at that time, I liked it so much that I chose to pay in monthly instalments abt 2k per month.. does pinch a little bit but in the long run I would like to use it for his school projects.. ofcourse there is internet for everything but those pics are beautiful and kids can connect to it easily..

7. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Arthi - When did u buy it/use it for DS? I am thinking if I should wait for some more time and then buy. LO is only 6 mo.

8. itawer

itawer New IL'ite

Hi
    The entire series is actually very nice. The best thing about it is that it grows with the child. In the sense that the content is easily modifiable for a 1 -2 yr old right upto an 8 yr old. The knowledge series can be used by kids right upto 12 yrs. So, yes, though it is expensive, if u actually look at the usability versus cost it actually does come out to be good value. & of course, when my kid is able to relate what he has seen in the book to what he sees around him... it is complete paisa vasool. My son is 2 & a half.

I am very very happy since I am able to use the books well with my kid.

Recommend it highly.
    Rewati

9. abhaaca

abhaaca New IL'ite

Hi,
    Can any one tell me what is the latest price of books of Time life series for Childs total development?

Thanks,
    Abha

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  10. Pinkorchid

Pinkorchid New IL'ite

dear abhaaca,

2 days back we had a home presentation for timelife total kids development programme and the total price for 24 books as well as the cds the whole set is dh.13,850 which can be paid in 5 instal ments without interest.

how did u like the series are u planning to take i?
    :hiya

regards
    pinkorchid