Time is Money : Share your idea of saving time

Discussion in 'Money Matters' started by sonal1611, Sep 19, 2012.

1. blessings1010

blessings1010 Gold IL'ite

yes..automate bill payments if you are comfortable. And check your bank statements once a month to just cross check if all is well.
    Automate even savings/ investments/ shopping.
    Set Subscribe and save for shopping regularly purchased items for home and self on amazon/ vitacost/ any other store which provide online shopping and home delivery.

sonal1611 likes this.
  2. sonal1611

sonal1611 Gold IL'ite

Thanks @blessings1010

For productivity tips..

lets me start with productivity tips which I follow on daily basis.

1. if u dont get much time at home to eat ur brkfast , Wrap it n bring in office.. go with colleagues for brkfast .. its good n socializing.. I try to do it daily .. i bring paratha in foil .. n eat in canteen with frnds.

2. Always keep ur Desk clean . it takes hardly 2 mins , if done daily.

3. Throw all junk items in office drawers too.. Gives lots of positive energy

4. At home too , I keep throwing 1 item daily , so its like 365 items in a year , without feeling bad and wasted my time :)

5. DONT WASTE. Be it time , food , energy etc..

blessings1010 likes this.
  3. raki

raki Silver IL'ite

Hi sonal

thank you for the ideas.

I would like to share 1 or 2 from my side

Keep the scanned copy of your id proof, address proof like voter id, adhaar card etc in your mailbox. Sometimes when I need to submit any application in a very short notice and I am at office then I simply log in to my yahoo account and print the required documents.
    Also I keep 2 or 3 of my passport size photo in my wallet.

One more thing I do is to carefully remove the gift wrapping paper. This can be reused. Sometimes when we don't have time to go to a shop and get gift wrapped, we can do it ourselves.

blessings1010 and sonal1611 like this.
  4. sonal1611

sonal1611 Gold IL'ite

@raki,

Thanks for your input.. yes indeed thats very helpful .

Even I have done the same

I also kept all my marksheets too in scanned form , just in case required.

We all do so many things that we dont even consider it as productivity hack.

5. sonal1611

sonal1611 Gold IL'ite

I read this article.. n its so true , Please try to follow and see what difference it can make in day - to-day basis.

5 Cleanup Tasks u Shud do on every friday -

1) Empty ur mail box . Try to get zero inbox.

2) Take Care of your Todo list

3) Clean ur desk

4) Clean out your drawer/ vehicle/backpack/purse . just in case what is applicable to you.

5) Put things where they belong.

6. blessings1010

Cool tips. I loved th idea of tossing one thing a day thats 365 things a year less in the house..and the scanning tip as well. For those of you who traveled frequently do also scan your passport after getting stamped at immegration . Once when I lost my passport, all those scans came handy while applying for a new passport .

Thank you girls .. bring on some more please.

Few more tips from my cool sister-
    1. I tend to forget eating quinoa and tri color lentils. So she told me just to store quinoa and regular brown rice together in a jar. Same for dry mixed color lentils. Everything gets washed and soaked at once before cooking

2. She keeps one box for extra items / bulk items for every room in her house. Like one box for extra cutlery, coffee mugs, utensils and everything else she may need when guests come over. So her daily kitchen items are kept to minimum. Cleaning and prep becomes less time consuming that way

One box for office supplies, crafts, kids items etc.

3. Have multiuse items in the house.
    - Like one dish liquid soap for washing dishes, hand soap, floor cleaner, all purpose cleaner..
    - One big pot for making bulk food, steaming veggies, washing multiple vegetables And fruits at once. When not used for meal prep, use the same pot for storing extra kitchen items you do not need on a daily basis
    - one universal remote for most of the appliances. One extension cord in each room for multiple electronic gadgets. Get them wifi enabled so all devices can be swtichee off at once at night and while going away from home

7. sonal1611

sonal1611 Gold IL'ite

I always like the idea of Dairy Planner..

But Its not much use to me.. As my work revolves not on daily tracking kind of activity..

its like , 1 project , keep working for 5 - 6 months , on daily basis..

Check if Dairy Planner Suits u !!!

8. blessings1010

thanks @sonal1611
    I just use our good old google calendar for planning cooking. It is anyway updated with other tasks so it helps to make a meal selection. On the days when I have less than an hour to cook, I just fit in easy meals in the calendar. and other days when I can cook to my heart's content and not have to worry about time, i can try something new or meals that take a longer time.

oh one more thing that my mom always used to do, especially when we were growing up- she had a list of quick and easy meals/ recipes written on a piece of paper that she would stick on the refrigerator. When we used to come home after school and used to demand food in 2 mins, in stead of maggie, she would ask us to pick what we wanted to eat that day from her list and then cook that for us. i still make so many of her recipes in less than 15-20 mins. life was soo good growing up, we never really paid attention to how much planning and prep mom was doing in the background to serve us fresh cooked food day in day out all her life..sometimes i wonder, if i can do that for my family... but i digress. hence my reason to look for kitchen hacks and sanity savers..

dc24 likes this.
  9. blessings1010

10. sonal1611

sonal1611 Gold IL'ite

@blessings1010

thanks,, Those tips are wonderful , but my family members dont eat that way food.. They want fresh , masala has to be prepared , Daal has to be cooked..

Even I need 1 and half hr daily for morning cooking.. So i consider time savuing tips in other ends .. not in kitchen ( at least for cooking meal )

blessings1010 likes this.