1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Thumb suckling ++

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by cathzeta, Feb 7, 2012.

1. cathzeta

cathzeta Bronze IL'ite

Hello all,
    My 15 month old DD has been suckling her thumb since she was 4 months old. Till she was 3 months old, she was 1 non-stop cry baby! Once she found her thumb, her crying reduced to a great extent. It was like a pacifier.

Now at 15, she is still on with her thumb(s) suckle.....!! For the past month or so, she alternates between thumbs to suckle. Every time, I notice her put her thumb into her mouth, I try to distract her and pull her right hand (which has been the pacifier for long) and before long her left thumb gets into the mouth. I am hoping she gets out of it before she is 2.

Please pour your suggestions of how to help my DD.

Thanks in advance,
    cathzeta

2. Priesh

Priesh Platinum IL'ite

Hi Cathzeta,

Use Femite nail polish. It s extreme bit. Apply on her thumb.

3. 2bkind

2bkind Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    My daughter also had this problem until she was 3 .. but I really didn't make an effort to stop it until she went to school. Also I had my daughter's total co operation in successfully trying to stop thumb sucking , by pointing out that how her teeth might come out and she might be teased in school. Even I used femite.. its extremely bitter, so I told her I am putting it to make sure that she remembers not to suck the thumb... If we don't have the child's co operation then it results in a lot of tantrum and they trying to secretly washing it off.. or rubbing it to remove the taste...so I would suggest you continuing to distract her ..but wait for some more time before you try a method like femite, so you can explain what you are doing and why its good if she stops thumb sucking.

1 person likes this.
  4. sapthu02

sapthu02 Gold IL'ite

use femite nail polish
    you will get that in any medical shop. Thats extremely bitter and on day 3 she would not even dream to suck her finger again. My baby was doing that until she was months. we tried so many things and of no help. My mom was dead agaist using any medicines on bbay for this issue.
    But we told her its a transparent nail polish
    baby viomitted the first night when we applied that
    frm the second day on wards she slowly quit and on the third day it was gone completely..