1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Thumb Meditation

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Viswamitra, Jun 3, 2016.

1. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

An infant busy with thumb meditation was looking around to see whether anything is available to play around. She found her toys scattered all over the house and after deciding to discontinue her thumb meditation, she moved towards a very attractive toy that she had been playing with all day yesterday. Her mom was busy preparing food for her. After mixing the smashed rich and dhal in good proportion, she added a half-a-spoon of ghee to add a decent proportion of fat to the infant’s diet. She approached straight towards the infant and picked her up preventing her from what she was doing.

The infant looked at her mother with anger as though she was asking, “Don’t you see I am tied up with my play?” The mother ignores her stare and continues on her mission to feed the infant. The mother took her to the balcony in the apartment and asked the infant, “Look! What that cow is doing?”. The moment she looked at the direction pointed out, the mother took a handful of food and deposited that into the mouth of the baby. The baby was very angry at the action of the mother, and as a sign of protest she started spitting the food into the vessel held by her mother as though she was asking, “Don’t you realize I was busy watching the cow?”

Forgiving but at the same time relentless mother decided to continue her mission. “Did you see that beautiful rainbow?” The baby looked up opening the mouth awestruck by the combination of the color and the mother again deposited another handful into the baby’s mouth. This time, the baby having tasted the food a little before spitting it out, decided to munch the second portion vigorously. The mother knows now that her mission has crossed the phase I of the project. Now, she showered her hand towards the beautiful white moon and asked, “What is that?” The baby responded, “Ball” and even before the answer came out the mother deposited the second round of food into the baby’s mouth.

Now the baby reconciled to the fact that she had to eat as she is tightly gripped by the mother with a bib tied around her neck. The baby had a look as though she was asking, “how much more left?” The mother conveniently ignored that look and “Is that dad coming in the car?” The baby turned around saying “Daddy” and even before she could finish that word, another portion went into her mouth. This process continued until the entire food was over in the vessel. Finally, when the mother finished substantial quantity of food to her heart’s content deposited into the mouth of baby, she dropped her back into the ground having completed the entire project with a great sense of fulfillment.

The baby went back on her mission to play around with her toys. Suddenly, the baby started scratching the head a little as though she was asking her mom, “What is going on? I feel tired and sleepy.” The mother came running towards the baby and took her inside her bedroom. After spreading the pillows on all three sides of the baby lying in the sheet with a foundation layer of rubber underneath. The mother started singing a lullaby, looking intensely at the baby and caressing and kissing the baby profusely. The baby started smiling soaked by the love showered on her and started making funny noises as though she was asking, “Do you love me so much, mom?”

Suddenly, she remembered that in order to realize her soul she had to practice spirituality so that she could not be born again and again. As she had not started talking as yet to chant anything, she decided to practice silent thumb meditation and concentrate her mind only on that. Slowly, she closed her eyes and started sucking her thumb with full focus. She went into Sushupti (sleeping state) of mind forgetting the world around her. She knows when she finishes her thumb meditation, her angel mother will reappear in front of her to look after her. When she was in a rapid eye moment state before getting into the deep sleep state, she thought, “How blessed I am to have this angel looking after me round the clock?”. She somehow got convinced that she is blessed with the angel only because of her thumb meditation and continued it until she went into deep sleep state.

[​IMG]

sindmani, umaakumar, iyerviji and 8 others like this.

2. Poetlatha

Poetlatha Platinum IL'ite

@Viswamitra : Dear ViswaSir,
    Wow what a wonderful snippet. As the saying goes or the belief is Children( Babies and infants)are equal to God, you have taken us on a spiritual journey, from this little baby and her activities blending her thumb sucking state of meditation, and making her realize her mother being the divine Goddess. Hats off to your twist of idea! Humanity to spirituality! Good one Sir!

By the way Sir, if you remember what was your profile picture before the previous one( before your dog on the carpet) please let me know, thanks!

3. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

Thumb(de)licious meditation Viswa.

3/4 in the world is fed by others and 1/4 we feed ourself and that too with what is actually required if we are conscious driven.

Poetlatha and Viswamitra like this.
  4. Viswamitra

Dear Poetlatha,

Thank you for your first response. Until we begin to build the wall of ignorance (this is not politics and has nothing to do with Trump's proposal :)), we continue to be divine. An infant expresses unconditional love to her mother and looks at her mom as a God sent angel. How else an uninitiated to the world think? I wish we were all in that state forever. I just added the flavor of humor in the form of thumb meditation. That is all.

My previous Avatar was a peacock.

Viswa

Poetlatha likes this.
  5. Viswamitra

Dear GG,

A thumb-sucking baby's concentration level is very high and you would have noticed that. Even if we try to take the thumb off, it goes back into the meditation mode naturally.

Can you point me towards the direction where that 1/4th live? A child is fed by the mother and a married man is fed by the wife and when he gets older, he is fed up with the food. During those primitive years, we open the mouth only for food because it is delicious and in our matured years, if we are blessed, we enjoy the food because it is delicious and if not, we don't open the mouth to talk due to fear.

Viswa

sindmani, GoogleGlass and Poetlatha like this.
  6. Poetlatha

Poetlatha Platinum IL'ite

Thank you Sir!

Your response to GG is so hilarious Sir!

Viswamitra likes this.
  7. GoogleGlass

GoogleGlass IL Hall of Fame

Ha ha ha

Viswa we are driven by subconcious - mom and later wife assumes/occupies the subconcious :)

Viswamitra likes this.
  8. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

A very nice snippet Viswa Sir. You have beautifully described what a mother goes through daily. Actually, it never stops for the mother. A neighbor of mine has a son and a daughter. The son is in high school and daughter in middle school. The son only takes different kind of sandwiches to school. The daughter takes different kinds of Pasta while the husband likes Indian food. So every morning, she has to prepare 3 lunches as no one wants to compromise.

Kamla and Viswamitra like this.
  9. Viswamitra

Dear Akanksha,

It is true that the mother's love continues forever even after the son is married and until she lives in this planet. What every mother goes through to raise their children is something that is a lesson in itself.

I was restricting myself in this snippet to the infant and the child's life before her mind formulates ideas of her own.

Viswa

10. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear viswa,
    your writing skills are superb and simply absorbing.When I saw your snippet today morning I was reminded of the following lines from a book of Sri Sri Ravi Shankar.
    "Observe a baby, from the time it is born to the age of three, it does all the yoga postures. You only need keen observation to recognize this, not a yoga instructor.

When a baby is born, it is born in a particular mudra, which is called Aadi mudra (thumb tucked into palm and other fingers wrapped into a fist) in the science of yogic texts.
    When babies sleep, if you notice, they sleep with their hands in Chin mudra (tip of thumb and fore finger touching and other fingers are extended), and Chinmayee mudra (tip of thumb and fore finger touching and other fingers are rolled in touching the palm).
    They also do the Merudanda mudra (thumb pointing up and other fingers rolled in) when they suck their thumb.
    A mudra (hand posture) stimulates certain parts of the brain and certain parts of the body. So babies do all these different mudras."

Now a days meditation has become a craze and all the natural processes are connected to meditation.It is just fine to read and appreciate.I wonder where those natural inclinations disappear once the child grows.

Even 'thumb sucking' which is hailed as a 'process of meditaion' to the baby is difficult to ward off later and mothers no longer can treat it as meditation and focus , and try their level best by comforts, consoling words and later have to adopt coercion to remove the habit,since the same thumb sucking, once considered a blessing, can become a curse to the child, can lead to irregular formation of teeth, difficulty in correct pronunciation etc.
    As a person grows biologically, focus has to change , and a 12 year old standing alone sucking his thumb is considered depressed.
    What I feel is the baby's sucking is an involuntary focus, whereas mother's focus in feeding the baby is quite strong and she finds the opportune moment to dump the dhal rice into the baby's mouth.But smarter babies just manage to open their mouth ,hiding the earlier instalment between gums and spit off everything soon after amma leaves.
    I appreciate the way articles are written.all the mythological events once narrated as mere story are branded with managerial terms.The present day children of MBA fathers use free 'management' technical words for day to day happenings.My grandson starts assessing every item of food from Sambar,rasam , curry etc in the scale of 1 to 5..No wonder terms relating to management, psychology and spirituality ,philosophy and vedantha are closely associated with pratical world, though this may not really imply progress in any sense.
    The snippet is totally enjoyable.
    jayasala 42

sindmani, umaakumar, Kamla and 3 others like this.