Thoughts on GROWING OLDER...

Discussion in 'Jokes' started by sudhavnarasimhan, Mar 29, 2006.

1. sudhavnarasimhan

sudhavnarasimhan Silver IL'ite

Another Good One!

In April, of last year, Maya Angelou was interviewed by Oprah on her 74th birthday.
    Oprah asked her what she thought of growing older.
    And, there on television, she said it was "exciting." Regarding body changes, she said there were many, occurring every day...like her breasts.
    They seem to be in a race to see which will reach her waist, first.
    The audience laughed so hard they cried. She is such a simple and honest woman, with so much wisdom in her words!

Maya Angelou said this:

"I've learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow."

"I've learned that you can tell a lot about a person by the way he/she handles these three things: a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights."

"I've learned that regardless of your relationship with your parents, you'll miss them when they're gone from your life."

"I've learned that making a "living" is not the same thing as "making a life."

"I've learned that life sometimes gives you a second chance."

"I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw some things back."

"I've learned that whenever I decide something with an open heart, I usually make the right decision."

"I've learned that even when I have pains, I don't have to be one."

"I've learned that every day you should reach out and touch someone.
    People love a warm hug, or just a friendly pat on the back."

"I've learned that I still have a lot to learn."

"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."

1 person likes this.

2. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Gems of Wisdom!

Sudha,

That was a wonderful snippet!

Each and every line is full of wisdom. I can empathize with it as my years too are advancing:)) Aging today has taken a different format in my opinion! There is a difference between Mental aging and Real aging, thankfully, I say:) You are as old/young as you feel, at any given moment.

Enjoyed reading it!

L, Kamla.

3. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Lovely posting, Sudha !

My age is no secret in this forum ! I am experiencing atleast half of what you have written. So I think I am able to enjoy better.
    I never believed in hiding my age at any stage. All my friends used to dye their hair & used to tell me that i will look smarter if i did it . But I always wanted my ageing process to be graceful & dignified . What better way than to allow silver streaks, undisturbed ?
    Few others are - I was critically ill 3 years back & was almost given up ! when I have so much of interaction remaining in my life to be done, how could I have died ? That is why I probably bounced back !
    I strongly believe in " katrathu kaimannalavu, kallaatathu ulagalavu".
    The last line is my present experience, as you all know ! The more happy I feel in I L , the more & more happy, I want to make others feel in their interactions with me !
    There is a book by Robin Sharma, " Who will cry when you die?" - if I live in such a way that all will cry when I die, I would have lived a purposeful life !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

4. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

just simply fabulouse sudha

dear sudha,
    this article is really great......i have forwarded to all my lady friends....regards sunkan

5. purnima_2k

purnima_2k Senior IL'ite

Very nice

sudha i enjoyed the article very much, especially the last line!!! Thanks for posting it!

Purnima

6. prathi

prathi Bronze IL'ite

Lovely!!

Ageing gracefully, people adorn themselves with the elegance of respectability. The material ornaments that adorned them for years suddenly become too pale to glitter and are raplaced by the grace and shine that exude from within. These elegant people beam with jewlels of knowledge, wisdom, experience, selfless love, humility and what not!!! Maya Angelou has shown all those traits of "gracefully ageing" and i am proud to say that i am among many such people in this intimately bonded and unique forum!

7. sweety62

sweety62 Senior IL'ite

Hi thanks a lot for posting this article
    Seema