1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

This week it’s only smiles.

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by kkrish, Mar 7, 2012.

1. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

I get into my car and literally stretch, almost to a supine position, to get my foot on the pedals. The seat is pushed all the way back as far as it can go, just short of touching the rear seat. I smile!

I slowly get it back to its original position and start the engine. For a moment I don’t know what assaulted me. Then I realize that its loud blaring music … my teeth rattle:shaking:, my hands shiver and my whole body shudders. But I smile!

It takes a few minutes to steady my jangled nerves and switch to the serene and calm voice of M.S.

Its garbage pickup day and on returning home it is a pleasant shock to see the garbage can and the recycling bin already towed away to the back yard. I grin!

I enter home to be greeted by loud banging, shooting noises from the TV. It is a war movie going on. I smile!

I open the fridge happy to see that a fresh can of milk has been bought, saving me a trip to the store. And oh, what else do I see?…a bottle of orange-pineapple-mango juice, a can of Sprite, and some cheese. I smile!

An extra cup of coffee is made and every time I ask, the answer is always, “oh a san’wich or somethin..” which really means hot grilled cheese sandwiches and that is what I rustle up for a snack.
    The kitchen counters are full of other munchies...chocolate chip cookies, gingerbread snaps, the fruit bowls filled with blueberries, grapes, and tiny oranges; I smile seeing them.

I go upstairs to thrown in a batch of laundry and open the washer... “aahhh”…full of clothes. I open the dryer to throw in the washed clothes, “AAAHH” …full of clothes! I curb my instinct to yell, “come and empty the washer/dryer...” Instead, I smile.

I walk to the computer room and in the passage I see a pile of tissue boxes, a big can of Tide detergent, a package of anti-static dryer sheets, a new bottle of body wash, a toothpaste tube ready to be packed. I quickly check my supplies cabinet and yep all missing one! I smile.

Meals the past few days have been noodles, kothu parotta, pulao, masala dosa, masala vadai, bajjis, and…
    …. the past few days at every meal my husband has never forgotten to declare that “food has not tasted this good for a lOnngg time” I simply smile.

Post dinner would be recollections of the soccer games, the broken arm on the first day of summer holidays, the “only mummy should carry me” trouble maker, the sticky hands , the muddy shoes, the SAT exams, the …
    Discussions would range from politics, to Hollywood gossip, to latest technology, to history, space, and everything under the sun. We smile!

Yes, my younger son is home for a week of Spring break. This is the scenario when either or both my sons come home. I am all smiles!!:)

From next week the car seat will be in the right position, Carnatic music will always waft from the car radio, nary a sight of cookies, juice or soda will be seen in the kitchen; meals will be healthy. The washer and dryer will be at my disposal. I will trudge the garbage cans every Tuesday evening to the back yard, and rush to the store for errands.

Every day we will enter our homes greeted by loud silence….and we will wait, counting the days till our sons' next visit.

26 people like this.

2. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

My dear kams,

I am rushing for once to be the first to fb this for don't I know the
    EXACT feeling you are referring to.

So do hold on to that smile and have loads of fun.

I generally do not like to give links to my threads but this did remind me of one of my very early posts that i had written when MRI returned home from the hostel for the first time. Do read it whenever you find time... it was called the homecoming..:)

2 people like this.
  3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hi Kamala,

So nice to see you here after all this while. Good to know you have had an enjoyable with your son at home. Yes, it must be tough when the young ones fly the nest. All part of life I guess. That is what makes so much sweeter when they come for their holidays.

1 person likes this.
  4. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Kamala, looks like you pay more attention to your kids' food than that of your DH.Anyway it is always festival time when kids staying away from you come home!

1 person likes this.
  5. Arunarc

Arunarc Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamala
    Nice to see you back after a long time. This is exactly what happens when kids come home. This is the same thing with me. But it all happens when I am around as I am always at home. You have so many things to prepare they favourite dishes, take them out with loud music playing games and we both do it together and it is so much fun. He wants to sit and play video games with him so both of us finish the kitchen work and all fast and LOL whole day we are in our own world.
    Kamala keep smiling and keep that smile till your kids come again to visit you. Have a wonderful time with them.

1 person likes this.
  6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Ha Kamala! That brought a huge smile to my face! Welcome home boys! Momma only loves this mess and like me has noticed the put away Trash cans and everything magically can only bring smiles!

Yes, that is how my house is always. I am always busy cleaning up and I am learning to smile and clean up for I know I will be looking forward to this mess once the kids leave for college - a few more years but still...All moms can relate to this smile, one way or the other :) These days I seem to be working hard at asking my DD not to help! And you know what made me the happiest in your post - that car seat pushed back with loud music....ha what joy!!

Have a fantastic fantastic time and it is so refrshing to read this post from you that too first thing in the morning! In Kannada, like we say "Enjoy Maadi!" :)

1 person likes this.
  7. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mindi
    Thank you very much for your lovely first feedback. I did read your article and it is so close to what I have written. Nice to have someone share the same sentiments.

The next two days I am taking time off too! :)

8. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sats
    Thank you so much. It was nice to write too, after a long time.
    Just that there were many personal events that would not allow me to think otherwise.

My son is still home this week and I am making the most of it. Yes, the house is home, complete, when even one of them visits.

9. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Haha Balajee!
    My husband says the same thing too!
    The truth is I cook the same meals; only the food tastes better because he is sharing it with loved ones.
    "..it is always festival time...." I agree with you 100% on this.

Thank you for your lovely feedback.

10. periamma

periamma IL Hall of Fame

Kamala A Mother's Joy is revealed here.your smiles are miles away and now it has come with your son.

1 person likes this.