1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

This time, Varalotti talks about our common problem !

Discussion in 'Varalotti Rengasamy's Short & Serial Stories' started by Chitvish, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear All,

Please go to
    http://deccanherald.com<WBR>/deccanherald/nov22006/dheducat<WBR>ion1147182006111.asp

My dear Sridhar,

Your article throws interesting lights on “speaking in English”.
    English has taken many “avatars” in our country. The people of each state speak it so differently, with their mother-tongue accent inevitably entwined in the language. We can easily identify which state, they belong to, from the way they speak !
    I find it an interesting observation, always !
    Ofcourse, not to mention, the latest “ American (accent) English” which is considered more fashionable than necessary.

You are right on the “emotional barrier point”! People do feel offended with others, if they cannot speak fluently, whereas many others do it so effortlessly.

Now, Sridhar, let me tell you something. To talk of Sania Mirza’s attire for one full minute is not at all easy , you know why !
    Chattiyil irundaal thaanae agappaiyil varum? ! ( Interpret it suitably!).

Heading a B P O unit, your suggestions are very apt and do throw an insight in your practical approach. You shine, in whatever you write – be it an article or a story.
    Friends, that is where our Varalotti stands out !

Love & regards,
    Chithra.

2. Preethi

Preethi Gold IL'ite

Though-Provoking Article !

Dear Varalotti,

Read Your Article in Deccan Herald ! I appreciate your thought to boldly address the common problem that most of Indian's face ! (I said 'boldly' because not many would bring themselves to discuss an issue of English communication openly, as it is still considered a delicate and too personal issues to be discussed in public) !

I think, this article could be a base for another interesting discussion on the attitudes and outlooks of Indians when it comes to accepting English in their daily lives...

As pointed out in your article, major of South Indians still fear to talk in English, fearing of making mistakes...! Even if someone makes an attempt, while making mistakes, he/she is ridiculed by others so much, that the person never attempts to try English again !

Communication has become a serious problem and the most important requirement , when it comes to seeking opportunities with eminent IT Companies nowadays, where it is required to have good standard of English as there is a need of frequent communication with foreigners. And so many talented youngster miss great opportunities for the very simple reason that they are not effective in Communication. Most of us are yet to realise the importance of effective communication and its impact on our day to day activities. Being a good speaker of our native language alone does not suffice. In the highly competitive world, we have to understand the need to be a good communicator in the International language (which has become the native language of software engineers in particular) in order to get us ahead of the others, and on top of the corporate ladder !

I am happy to see that, you're not just addressing social issues but also fundamental issues like these in your work !

Chitra, last but not the least, I truly appreciate your gesture to always bringforth Mr. Varalotti article wherever they are to our eyesight ! You seems to get that telepathic message whenever Varalotti articles are published in any media, I suppose. Coz you always seem to get the scent of his article and access it and give it us at the right time !

Thanks & Regards,
    Preethi

3. varalotti

varalotti IL Hall of Fame

Thanks a Million, Chitra!

Dear Chitra,

thanks for bringing out my work again into IL. English, I would say, has deteriorated much faster than other languages. The reason:the world's second largest country in terms of population took upon itself the task of manhandling (and womanhandling as well) it and mangling it. May be Indians are taking revenge for the three hundred years of foreign rule by this novel method.

Joking apart it is appalling to see bright youngsters losing their life-time chances all because of their bad language.

Mother tongue influence is the major problem with our students. And we need to drill accent-neutrality into their minds not only to make their language bearable but to make others understand.

Now coming to Sania Mirza's attire, well, I have enough to talk for a whole day, if not a week. It depends on the perspective you have. If challenged I can open a thread on Sania Mirza's attire and make it run for 12 episodes. I have more to talk about her attire than her game.

Well, in the BPO I run language does not matter. Ours is tax and accounting BPO where the work is highly technical. It is as far away from a call centre as Maria Sharapova from Sania Mirza.

Thanks again for posting the information.
    sridhar

4. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Ha ha ha, Sridhar !

The difference in our perspectives is obvious as is black from white !
    Well, for reasons, best known to everybody, I do not want to go on & on, about the lack of a thing, which by its lack, pleases the other gender !!
    Is it not the difference between "spatial vision" and "tunnel vision" ? - you can't disagree, when you are the one who suggested the book to I L ites !
    Love & regards,
    Chithra.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2006
  5. varalotti

Your post is of paramount importance!

Suddenly Sania Mirza's dress has taken priority over English language. See the poor me, while Preethis is waiting for her reply I am now replying to your post on peripheral and tunnel vision.

Those words lifted from Why Men Don't Listen.... have pretty dangerous implications here. You just note my usage - pretty and danger.

But I still honestly think that I or for that matter a very religious lady would have more to talk about Sania Mirza's dress than that of a well-clad woman. Because we can discuss religion (Sania Mirza's religion objected to her dress) decency (should I explain?) comfort (she herself confirms this one) and finally value for money (for the viewers... ha ha ha)
    My God, I am seriously thinking of starting a thread in the honour of (or in the memory of) Sania Mirza's attire.
    sridhar

6. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Excellent Article!!

Dear Sridhar Sir

Your views and suggestions are great(of course about the English language:))

Yes south Indians are afraid to speak in English. In my point of view fluency is acquired over the time. Girls like me... from small city towns...have very less oportunity to speak English. The fluency from schooling years are lost...during my college years. I almost forgot the language.
    Then coming to S'pore...I had no choice but to struggle with my stammering language..and above all, express myself to the collegues and boss...who speak a different 'Singlish'. I improved myself as years passed and have mastered 'Singlish' as well..hahaha. (It is nothing but mixing bit of chinese/malay/Tamil words in a sentance and finish it with funny words like lah/leh/lor/sia. The Singlish-Singapore English..is spoken without any verbs!.) The government spends loads of money in "Speak good English" campaigns.
    My hubby has not yet mastered the Singlish as his working environment has hardly any Singaporeans.
    Now i am struggling to protect my son's English....need not to say that it is indeed most of the time Singlish as he interacts with his friends and teachers in that local language only. I feel sad but the truth is that the social environment plays a major part in determining the verbal skills.

Apart from your suggestions for improving English speaking skills, I humbly have few ideas too.
    1. Encourage reading English books from young: This helps in improving the vocabulary(my experience).
    2. Encourage the kids to go to libraries from young.
    3. Small town school library system needs a major overhaul renovation. I still remeber begging my primary school librarian everyweek..to let me have few more books. He used to say that I seemed to finish any book too quickly..and if I had really read all those books. Then my dad went to the HM and atlast i got my permission to enter into the wonderland. I believe that the situation would have improved (atleast) now.
    4, Last but not the least...stop nicknaming the english speaking ones as "Peters"(hahaha).

Cheers:wave
    Vijee

7. Ushakrishnan64

Ushakrishnan64 Silver IL'ite

Dear Sridhar,
    It is such a coincidence...My husband and me were discussing how some people communicate in English...
    We attended a seminar last week, where the speaker TRIED his best to make a presenation:tongue For example, the way he pronounced RISK sounded something like RIX..My god..for a moment I thought I have forgotten my subjects which I studied long time ago. But he went on and on for about 90 minutes, barring the disinterest shown by the audience.
    At this time, we were discussing how some of us hesitate to speak (though we are technically strong) while some of them can go on and on, though their language and technical skills are below average!

Regards
    USHA

Last edited: Nov 2, 2006
  8. safa

safa Bronze IL'ite

spoken English

When reading your article, I remembered how I learnt to speak Eng..Since I was student of a nearby Malayalam school, I had to depend some books to learn English..In my school, no body would speak Eng. My father was an ex-military man and( was a student of Victoria college, Palakkadu) spoke most of the Indian languages..he encouraged us to speak Eng..We spoke Eng only at home , since there was no chance to speak with an outsider.
    After I came to Dubai, I had to speak with many people, especially with hus's colleagues. The first advice I got from hubby was not to take all the grammar out! :-D

Your article and suggestions are great.but people run to get admission in Eng schools before the child sees the world!
    Let me remember the words of our KUNJUNNI MASH ( He is the famous poet ,especially kuttikkavithakaaran..in Malayalam)
    janicha udan thanne en makan English samsaarikkuvaan
    Bharya than prasavamangu Englandilaakkee njaan!
    Did you understand?

9. varalotti

Your post shows your social concern, Preethi!

Dear Preethi,

Your long post only shows your deep social concern. Somehow or other English got entwined into our psyches. For example no Tamilian will feel bad for not knowing portuguese. But not knowing English, is equivalent to standing naked in front of others.
    I still dont understand this attitude. All said and done English is a foriegn language. If you are not able to handle it properly better be bold and outspoken about it.
    Unless our students realise that their English is bad, they wont improve. All the money spent on Spoken English classes, Call centre courses would go waste.

I remember an incident when I visited England as a GSE Team member. The English host made fun of the way we spoke their language and the way we ate with spoons and forks. I am not comfortable with that kind of cutlery. I have never felt bad attacking my dinner with my hands. I was a little clumsy with the spoon as I was not used to it.
    When the young Englishman let out a derisive smile I told him,

"See, we are speaking your language; though not perfect at least in a manner you could understand. But can you imagine speaking any one of our 14 languages?"
    He was shocked.

Then I told him, yes I was bad with spoons and forks. But I challenged him to eat with his own hand. He offered to do that immediately. But I told him to wait till the next day where as per the program we cooked Indian food for them. And now I challenged my English friend to eat with his own hand. In the very first attempt a big helping of panneer butter masala landed straight into his coat packet.

I have seen this syndrome in many professional colleges: students who can talk good English will flock together and will look condescendingly upon the others whose English is poor.

I think we need some kind of a massive psychiatric counselling to break this taboo and come out this rut.
    Thanks Preethi,
    Varalotti

10. varalotti

Thanks Vijee Madam

Dear Vijee Madam,
    I am also used to Singaporean English. I stayed in Singapore for about a month in 2004 for a professional work. When you want to get things done and make friends with people you should include lot of "la"s in your speech.
    Good morning la! I wanted to talk to you la! But was very busy la! Did you see the file la? Great la!
    When I spoke English complete with subject object and predicate, people thought I was talking some foreign language.
    About your suggestions I need to add only one caution. Let us not force English books on our children. That will make them dread that language. And we should never compel them to read English newspapers.
    First let us tell them some stories. And then show them the story books in English. And make them do it for themselves.
    I have been crying hoarse for long that if you want your children to speak English make them speak our mother tongue first. As they handle a language for a long time they will understand its niceties and then it is very easy to learn a foreign tongue.
    But in Tamilnadu if a school offers to teach Tamil then the parents do not go a mile near the school.
    I feel pathetic on seeing children reciting the rhyme
    "Rain Rain go away!"
    They do not know the meaning of the rhyme and chant it mechanically not realising that the rhyme looks nonsensical in a tropical country which is constantly praying for more rain.
    So if we can shed these inhibitions, this false prestige then our children can definitely speak better English.
    regards,
    sridhar