This is a True story.. dates back to British Rule in India

Discussion in 'Jokes' started by nnarmadha, Feb 3, 2012.

1. nnarmadha

nnarmadha Platinum IL'ite

The Pamban Bridge is situated in Tamil Nadu, India. At the entrance of the bridge you can see a picture of a weeping man holding some human body parts close to his chest.
    This bridge was built during the British rule in India and it was constructed in such a way that the center portion of the bridge could be lifted with the help of huge wheels, so that ships could easily pass under the bridge. On the bridge, roads and rail tracks are laid for trains and other vehicles to pass…
    A middle aged man was appointed to roll the wheels up and down when ships arrive. Once he saw a train slowly approaching, while he was pulling back the bridge after a ship quietly passed beneath. He had to pull back quickly or else there would be a fatal accident and thousands would have died.
    At that time his 9 year old son came with lunch. When he saw his father struggling with the wheels, he kept the lunch box down and started helping him to roll the wheels to put the bridge back. Suddenly his son’s finger got caught inside the wheel and he started crying out. At this time if the father tries to save his son, the bridge could not be put back on time. He had no other option but to ignore his son’s cry. With all his strength he kept on rolling the wheels to down the bridge. As the wheels rolled on, his son slowly started slipping away into the huge machine.
    Tears rolled down his father’s cheeks, but he ignored his son’s cry. If he tried to save him, the train will surely fall into the sea and thousands of people will die. Slowly the boy’s whole body fell into the machine and his father could hear his bones breaking one by one, until with a loud sound, his head cracked.
    The train with thousands of passengers slowly rolled on the rails, without knowing what had happened there.
    Though this man performed his duty honestly he lost his only loving son. With extreme lamentation, he pulled out his son’s body parts from the machine and held it close to his chest and cried bitterly.
    British Government honored him greatly and in memory of this incident they placed the picture at the entrance of the bridge…
    There are selfless people still, only thing is we need to identify them.

6 people like this.

2. kalpanareddy

kalpanareddy Bronze IL'ite

oh my god..really touching story..thank u so much for sharing....

3. nnarmadha

4. SSNmom

SSNmom Bronze IL'ite

that was really a sad 'true' incident :(

5. kalaipriya

kalaipriya Platinum IL'ite

Really touching. I agree with ssnmom.

6. nnarmadha

yeah ssnmom..heartbreaking one

7. kadalpura

kadalpura Silver IL'ite

Hi, My eyes are filled with tears. I am new mom(My little one is 5 months old) and may be because of that I got emotionally attached to the story. But I don't even want to imagine how that man would have felt. sorry to say this, But I shouldn't have read this. I feel like a ball rolling in my stomach now.

1 person likes this.
  8. Priyapradeep

Priyapradeep Gold IL'ite

Really a heart breaking one. What a great man he was. We have to be proud to know those history.

9. sritas

sritas Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Truly very noble of him and thanks Narmada for sharing the true tale of one of the sacrifice which an Indian did during the reign of the British. There were many such sacrifices done by Indians, but now I do not know where this Caring, Sharing, Devotion, loyalty and value for life has faded. As our country made progress these things are slowly getting forgotten or I should say disappeared.

10. lathaviswa

lathaviswa IL Hall of Fame

Narmadha this is new to me thanks for sharing the news
    its very touching story ..........