Thinking of visiting delhi

Discussion in 'Delhi' started by veeramachaneni, Feb 12, 2013.

1. veeramachaneni

veeramachaneni Platinum IL'ite

Hi All,

I am thinking of Visiting Delhi,Agra and do little shopping (Mainly home decor, Paintings, Kurtis,Tops...etc)

I am from Hyderabad and I never visited Northern India. This trip we are thinking of 2/3 days depending on our schedule.

What would be the near by places that we should visit (I am thinking of Akshar Daam too,Taj Mahal, Jantar Mantar,India Gate) Please let me know what places I can /Should Check out.

What are the nice areas for shopping? do they haggle? What stuff I get for less here??

Please advise.

2. cutemonster

cutemonster Platinum IL'ite

Hiveera
    I have lived in Delhi for some time so I guess I can be of some help to you.
    About the places to see in Delhi
    You can see lotus temple, india gate,red fort, qutub minar,jantar man tar,if you have small kids they will like doll museum,rail museum and birla mandir.
    Besides that you can go to Agra and see taj mahal.
    For shopping you can visit flea markets in sarojini nagar, janpath and palika bazar. You can get lot of fancy stuff there.
    For handicrafts you can go to Delhi haat, Connaught place, and even haus khas village but it is slightly costly.
    Chandani chow and karol bhag are also good places to shop specially designer sarees and salwar kameez.
    But there are only few fixed price shops , mostly you need to bargain :)
    Have a nice trip:)

1 person likes this.
  3. veeramachaneni

Thank you Cute Monster for the reply. Do you know what items will be nice in Delhi? What I meant was if you visit south it will be famous for Silk sarees...etc right.

4. cutemonster

I feel Delhi has lots of options in shopping, you can buy good handicrafts, specially if you are being in north for first time and have not seen many places you can buy kashmiri and Rajasthan's stuff.
    Besides that if you like Saree there are lot of designer Saree options, even salwar kameez will be much cheaper.
    Then you can buy good shawl s, pashmina etc.

1 person likes this.
  5. aminroop

aminroop IL Hall of Fame

Thinking of visiting delhi : sounds scary! :)

1 person likes this.
  6. cutemonster

7. veeramachaneni

LoL I can Imagine. One of my friend told me to Visit Majnu ka tikka something like that and told me to go with
    DH only and not alone. Then I removed it from my list completely.

8. veeramachaneni

9. TinyTot

TinyTot New IL'ite

Majnu ka tila is a no, no.

You should consider visiting akshardham, India gate, (if u are interested in old monuments then )red fort & qutub minar. If you can tell your budget then I can tell you which place would be good to stay.
    After the new read to Agra- taj mahal is a one day trip, no need to stay back there.

But you may want to visit Jaipur and stay couple of days there

Chandni chawk is a must visit if you want to have an idea of the old delhi, and Karims and Parathe wali gali being one of the major attraction. If you are very good at bargaining then only go to sarojini nagar, janpath and palika bazar, else you might get cheated there.

Plenty of good malls, like the select city mall, great India palace...has also become good place to roam about in Delhi