1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Think before you call for help

Discussion in 'Indians in Washington' started by sakich, Jan 27, 2008.

1. sakich

sakich New IL'ite

My 2centsHI everybody wanted to share my experience with everybody, maybe it can help someone else someday too. This is about our experience with the state trooper, who are supposed to help you in trouble,who rubbed salt on our wounds.
    This happened on the first week of this year. We were returning from the city (we live in a small town and for shopping we have to go to the city which is 60 miles away) it was 8 pm and little bit of snow shower, so my DH was driving very cautiously, he is a good driver by the way with no records. They had just about started putting sand on the road. We were going at a speed of 45 on a 70 road and suddenly we started to slip and by the time we could get control of the car it took 2 180deg turns and landed in a ditch. Obviously we were a bit shaken because our SUV was almost going to rollover but due to the snow in the ditch the car luckily did not rollover. Well the snowscrapper passed by and came to inquire on us and called the trooper too. We sat there in cold conditions for nearly 15 min. before the trooper could arrive. After he arrived he asked us if we were ok and then took our driving license and ran it though and came back and believe it or not gave us a speeding ticket. We tried to explain that we were driving slow, but he said, "well you are in a ditch , so that means you were speeding". We tried to explain but he said this is anew rule that if you fall into a ditch you get a ticket for speeding. And after that he asked us what else he could do for us. We asked him to call a tow guy and he called him for us and then JUST LEFT US STRANDED THERE WITH A TICKET FOR $ 175.:eek:mg: We waited in that ditch for another 1hr and 30 min before the tow guy could come. Though our car was in the ditch but it was in good condition with no damage whatsoever so all the tow guy did was pull our car out and leave and he charged us another $276. Then we had to drive on our own.
    My point here is If you are in a situation like this and If & only if you are not hurt and your car is in good condition please do not call the STate department but instead take help fom passerby. We were amazed at the actions of the trooper who arrived there so late then had the nerve to give us a speeding ticket and just leave us there still stranded in a ditch:idontgetit:. So it was like he had not come there to help us but add salt to our injuries by giving us a speeding ticket fo going slow.
    shakehead

2. jaanu_2721

jaanu_2721 Bronze IL'ite

u are right sakich:iagree

3. starshine

starshine New IL'ite

Hi,

You should investigate about the "new" rule of falling into a ditch and getting a ticket. I don't think it is true. Do not pay up the fine and plead guilty without going to traffic court. Please look up the traffic laws of your state (which will be present online) and make sure there is such a "law" about ditch-falling. If you know you have not done anything wrong, you can go and at least talk in the court and convince the Judge otherwise. In many cases the trooper just doesn't show up in the court and the case can get dismissed.

Good luck.

4. sakich

sakich New IL'ite

Hi Sumanh,
    Thanks for your reply , I did check in the rule and have friends as State Troopers and US Marshall. The problem is when they write in the Ticket as driving Fast For Weather Conditions. In this case even if a guy is driving on 5 M/H and slides off the road its still considered as fast. My friends told me If I contested against the ticket I have a 99% chance that it will be dismissed. The moment a cop writes a ticket a driving record is created so the damage is already done. Now if I contest, a court / public record is also created its irrespective I win or loose. As my GC is in process I din't want to create a public record so I just paid the ticket and closed the chapter.
    Thanks,
    Sakich.