1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Things to take to Valaikappu & Seemantham in the US

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by latha_sasi, Sep 27, 2008.

1. houstontexasss

houstontexasss New IL'ite

Hello,

My mother is coming to US for Seemantham for me. We have obtained Alam Mottu (found from banyan tree, they will be sticks in green color which will be carried to US)

However, I am unsure if it can be brought in check in luggage from Mumbai to Houston. Is it allowed?
    If anyone has brought it to US in a similar manner from India (in the checked in bags) did the customs official question it or was it not a problem at all.

My mother is travelling alone, so I am concerned if it will be a problem if the officials check the baggage and oppose.

Pls share if anyone has experienced it.
    thanks

2. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

This would probably fall under the live plants definition and so cannot be brought into the US either in checked in or hand baggage.
    There are ways to get live plants into the US but its a bit of work. Since ur mom is travelling alone its best not to go this route.

3. houstontexasss

houstontexasss New IL'ite

Thanks for the reply, any idea if it can be obtained in the US.

4. Sragavan

Sragavan New IL'ite

Dear latha mami,
    I'm having my seemantham in US, My mother has been trying to find AllamMottu in Chennai, at dabba chetty in mylapore, they gave her a powder and said it's the same. Please guide us where we can get it. We do not have a family priest or know anyone.
    Regards
    Sunitha.

5. Sragavan

Sragavan New IL'ite

6. Sragavan

Sragavan New IL'ite

Dear Iladies,
    I'm having my seemantham in US, My mother has been trying to find AllamMottu in Chennai, at dabba chetty in mylapore, they gave her a powder and said it's the same. Please guide us where we can get it. We do not have a family priest or know anyone.
    Regards
    Sunitha.