things to keep in Kitchen - Quick cooking items - Podi items, paste etc

Discussion in 'Recipe Central' started by jeny12, Aug 1, 2013.

1. jeny12

jeny12 Bronze IL'ite

hi all,

I am married for 2 years.. I am good in cooking but find it too difficult nowadays.. since i am working and have a kid of 8 months old, it is too hard to maintain timing.

Can you please give me idea to store items which helps in cooking.

LIke idly podi, thuviyal etc..

currently i have sambar podi, rasam podi, idly podi. all other things i will have to make when ever necessary.

Please provide the list of podi varieties, thuviyal, pastes(like ginger garlic) which i can store in fridge.

Your replies will be really helpful for all of us. do share what are the things you have at your home.

2. jeny12

jeny12 Bronze IL'ite

Gals.. No replies from anyone??? how do u all manage.. i hope everyone will be having something handy in kitchen, Please reveal those.. that will be really helpful for me. as well for everyone...

3. galwidpassion

galwidpassion Silver IL'ite

hi dear...

I am also working.. I store sambar powder, rasam powder, coriander powder, pepper powder, jeera powder. Along with that, i also keep ginger garlic paste ready in fridge.
    For biryanis and mixed rices, i generally use whole masala.

Also, I grind some chutney like brinjal, tindora or ridgegourd enough for 3 days. This will be a side dish in the dinner or lunch along with the curry. I wash and pat dry coriander,curryleaves and pudina and store them in fridge. I cut few vegetables like cabbage, carrot ,capsicum and put them. Some days during dinner, I do this curry, add onion to oil, then cabbage and carrot, add capsicum after 2 mins and then tomato after 2 mins. Add a pinch of oregano, pepper powder, salt, chillipowder and tomatosauce. Add crumbled paneer and you have the stuffing ready for veg rolls. Just make few rotis and put this curry in that add onion,cucumber and roll it. Its so easy.. Hardly takes 20 mins.

This is what i follow generally ..hope it helps yous

oprah and kalaipriya like this.
  4. Armaity25

Armaity25 Silver IL'ite

Hey,
    I don't know how helpful this would be to you but here are some ideas-
    1)Konkani curry base-Grind grated or pieces of coconut,coriander seeds 2-3 tsps,red chillies,turmeric powder and small ball of tamarind alongwith some water.Freeze it and keep.Stays good for 4-5 days in the freezer.Can be used for fish curries as it is just need to add chopped onions and salt.For vegetarian curries add this paste to the vegetable of your choice alongwith some jaggery(optional) and salt and then add a tempering of mustard seeds,asafoetida and curryleaves once the curry is ready.

2)Punjabi curry base-In a pan heat some oil.Add some onions and salt and stir fry them till they are cooked.Add some ginger-garlic paste and stir it till its cooked.Add some tomatoes and cook them as well.Let this mixture cool down completely.Then make a paste.Freeze it.Stays well for atleast 10-15 days.While making Punjabi curries just add this paste to the chicken or mutton or vegetable of your choice or rajma or chickpeas alongwith the spices like turmeric,chilli powder,coriander seed powder and garam masala and water pressure cook it.Add sallt later.
    3)Raw paste-If you are pressed for time and cannot make the above Punjabi curry paste you can use this.Grind some ginger,garlic,onions and tomatoes and put them in ice cube trays and freeze it.Whenever needed just add the cubes and use.Stays well for 7-8 days.Can be used not only for Punjabi curries but other ones too.
    4)Instant podi-Roast some tur dal and red chillies separately.Allow to cool.Mix it and add some asafoetida(hing) and salt and grind it to a slightly coarse powder.Can change the dals according to your liking.
    5)Also you can boil different dals and keep them separately in small containers in the fridge.Whenever needed just remove and use.

1 person likes this.
  5. monu21

monu21 Senior IL'ite

nice tips ...

6. jeny12

jeny12 Bronze IL'ite

this is really wonderful. I will try to make Jeera powder as well. It will make receipes taste better. And also, thanks for short sabji .

7. jeny12

jeny12 Bronze IL'ite

@armaity25 Awesome tips..
    I Like your 1st, 3rd and 4th tips.. which isreally helpful

1st - i can also make use of it for kolambu, and thick curries
    4th, i can use it as substitute of Idly podi.

Thank you

8. malaswami

malaswami Platinum IL'ite

Nice tips from all...
    Keep going dear..
    Good :)

9. upavi

upavi Gold IL'ite

My 2cents:

Tomato&onion sabzi:
    Do seasoning(oil, mustard, jeera, urad dal & channa dal) put onion once it is sauted add tomato & let it cook for atleast 15 -20mins. Mean while add tumeric, salt , red chilli powder if u want very spicy u add green chillies too. This goes with any items like chapathi, dosa, pongal.

U can store it in fridge, if u need change on the next day then add brinjal(cut in to cube size) let the brinjal get cooked with tomato & onion gravy. If u have this tomato &onion gravy stored in fridge as when u can add other sabzis like carrot & capsicum & cook it. U can also add fried paneer to it.

U can add cooked channa to this with chole masala becomes a tasty chole.

Tomato thokku:
    Grind tomatoes (1-2kgs) in mixie & fliter the seeds & then put oil (little more) do seasoning with mustard & curry leaves add tomato puree to it & let it boil for 1hr or so mainly the oil should get separated add salt. U can do this on a holiday & store it in fridge for 15days goes well with rice, chapathi, idly, dosa, adai.

Ginger thokku i dont know the receipe properly but this also handy very much.
    Puliyodhare mix, kothamali thokku & karuvepillai thokku is also very handy one

10. jeny12

jeny12 Bronze IL'ite

hi Upavi,

yes.. i have stored karuvepillai thokku.. thanks.. please post if you have more handy recipes