1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Things To Consider While Selecting A Day Care For Toddler And Tips While Sending Your Lo There?

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by teejay, Apr 19, 2017.

1. teejay

teejay Gold IL'ite

Hi mummas,
    My boy is almost 1.5 years old and am thinking of sending him to a day care for may be 1-2 hours daily just so he can interact with kids his age. We live in an apartment and he is cooped up with me almost all the time. We do take him to the near by park but we live in the middle east and summer is almost upon us. So going out might not be an option soon. He has not been away from me till date.So day care is going to be painful for both him and me..any tip to make this transition smoother is also welcome.

2. aspha

aspha Gold IL'ite

As you already said, its going to be a huge change for you and your LO. The crying part is most difficult to get over and may last for a month. As a mom, you need to stay clam.
    For a daycare I will look into the reviews and it's popularity in the community. Per classroom student-teacher ratio, hygiene and cleanliness schedule, potty training methods and how they encourage it. As you mentioned you will be sending in for just 1 or 2 hour I assume he will have his lunch and naps at home, but if you consider sending him half day, Look into what does daycare provide like snacks, milk, lunch,etc.

3. teejay

teejay Gold IL'ite

Thanks @jessu0206 and @aspha for your help. My LO is not comfortable around kids.We went to a b'day party and a toddler tried to hug him .But my kid got scared and started crying in earnest. Makes me worry more..what if he is not reay yet:hmmm:

4. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Also after narrowing to few, visit the daycares in the morning hours and take your kid along.

teejay likes this.
  5. DDream

DDream Finest Post Winner

OP, isolation fear will be high for kids at this age. Belive me it is tough especially the first month. I am sure he will cry. Leave as soon as you drop him there. The longer you stay the tantrums will go on .. I feel that it is better to leave him there for at least half day. 2h is very short period.

I agree with other posters on the criteria for selecting daycare. Enquire about popular daycare and visit them with your kid. Some daycare will have cam so you can watch him when you are away from him. Better visit,talk to them and decide

teejay likes this.
  6. teejay

teejay Gold IL'ite

Thanks @DDream and @sanjuruby3 . I am in the process of short listing a day care. visited a few.found them ok ish...hoping to zro in on one soon

DDream likes this.
  7. Anisha01

Anisha01 New IL'ite

I did all the above... And also stopped few parents who picked up their kids and asked a quick feedback about the carer and the centre... May be you can try that to get good understanding...

8. teejay

teejay Gold IL'ite

@Anisha01 what a great tip...will definitely check with few parents. thanks

Anisha01 likes this.
  9. sweetsmiley

sweetsmiley Platinum IL'ite

Just few tips..
    1. Try to select one with camera. even if it is little expensive, i would suggest this
    2. Talk to Teachers for sometime and try to make connection with teacher, so you can get real attention/feedback.
    3. Teach him how to eat
    4. encourage lot of playing alone time, so he knows how to play on his own in daycare
    5. Dont carry him everywhere in home, so he will not expect daycare teachers to carry everywhere
    6. try to pack his/her favorite food
    7. pick daycare that has big room and more toys - so your kid can play nicely