1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Things to bring from India when moving/relocating

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by nirupama, Sep 1, 2005.

1. drizn

drizn New IL'ite

Well I can make a little list what all U bring from India depending on things that are expensive in USA -
    Utensils - Cooker, Few Plates, Glasses, katoris, Cups, Spoons, Karahi, Cooking Spoons, Chapati Box, pan for frying vegetables, Chakla-Belan, Lunch Box, Kaddukas/ small grinder which consumes less space (u'll have to buy a converting 3-pin plug from the US to make it work though), Knives, Tawa, Patila, Paraat to knead flour, a few plastic air tight stoage boxes, Scotch Brite to wash utensils
    Eatables - Ghee, Dals, Masalas, Namkeens & Biscuits, Besan, Tea Leaves, Elaichi, Sauce, Sugar, Salt (just to start of the kitchen with but its otherwise pretty cheap in USA), A small quantity of rice, Channi for tea, Peeler
    Clothes - Some Jackets, Shawls & sweaters, woolen caps, Undergarments, your casual wear like suits or saris, some night wear comfortable clothes, Towels, Dusting & cleaning cloth (U'll need them to wipe things in ur home, kitchen slab, gas etc :) socks, covering & bed sheets to start off with
    Cosmetics & washroom items - Bathing Soaps, Dishwashing liquid or bar, Washing powder, Shampoo, Oil, Moisturizers/Creams/ Sunscreens, Body Lotions (weather is too dry generally :-(
    your make up kit (depends on the luggage weight allowance - U can add ur fav shades of lipsticks & eye shadows) & kajal, liner, bindi, sindoor (if u r married), mascara, face powder, clips/rubber bands, jewellery, Plucker - if U know how to set ur eyebrows ;-)
    Other Things - Toothbrush, Toothpaste, Comb, Medicines, A little bag to store all your important documents like passport etc, Washing powder, Sanitary napkins, Scissors, Pens & paper, a few hangers, A little table clock, Camera, shoes, toilet Paper, Tissues (they dont occupy much space or have much weight but are very useful), mens shaving kit, a small mirror, Soap case.

I think I have covered most items, you may omit a few if U dont use them or want 2 buy after reaching the US. Also get a haircut & take a trip 4 all your beauty needs to the parlour in India before coming as parlour services are quite expensive. :-o

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  2. theamma

theamma Bronze IL'ite

Boston is going to be very cold from November on- esp. for someone from South India. But you can buy all the winter clothing after you get to Boston. You can just bring a couple of warm sweaters from India and get the jacket,hat and mittens in Boston.There would be plenty of them and he can be the same as the other kids. Don't forget the Idli plates, sambar,rasam powders and other masalas. You should also bring a few of the family favorite powders, a few Tamil magazines and books.Little kids get used to people and places faster than adults,but it may be hard at start- with the accent. Good luck!

3. vaishnavilakshmi

vaishnavilakshmi Bronze IL'ite

Re: Moving to Fayettville, Arkansas

Hi Boo,

Yes,due to weight restrictions,u may not be able to get all the stuff what u want as priority and so u have to customize accordingly.

1)Clothing :10 dresses,nightiesif u wish),intimates(expensive here).
    jeans,good party wear tops, and a good jacket if u can.But anyways u will have to purchase here according to the climatic conditions.
    2).Summeet Mixie
    3).Idli stand(4plates)
    4). Stell Pressure pan with extra safety valves and gaskets.
    5).Nonstick hard Anodized Dosa Pan and 2 Nonstick hard-anodized cooking kadais(2 sizes) with lid(prestige/hawkins/nirlep).
    6).Home Made Dhania powder,cumin powder,Sambar powder,Rasam powder,Garamasala,Papads and any other powders if u wish to.(all together of 1.5kg weight).Home made pickles if u want.

7).Tamarind,Home Made Chilli Powder(if u want),Home madeTurmeric .(Tamarind is not good especially if u want the sour ones).

8).Steel items : 2 steel plates,4tiffin plates, 6 small steel bowls ,6 glasses,spoons and serving spoons for rasam, rice etc ,steel bowl to pressure cook rice or dal in pressure cooker.

9).Puja Items (Its upto you) and ur light weight jewellery for occasional wear.
    10).Chapathi Rolling Pin/Stick.
    11).Some savourie making items like arisalu press,kajjikayalu press,muruku press/molder,poori press,Dal masher etc.

Note : 1)Mixie,idli stand,pressure cooker,u can buy online but it is double the prize,so if u can carry it will be helpful.It is advisable to carrry mixie from india as it is allpurpose grinder(dry/wet).
    2).Tamarind,here u get sweetish taste tamarind.so carry that some if u can.Orelse u get priya tamarind paste here,which is good enough.
    3). Original Music cds etc, if u wish to..Orelse u can download latest music online from www.coolgoose.com which we usually do.
    4).Serving ware : u anyway have to buy correlle dinnerset here.and bakingware like corningware or pyrex.So carry only enough steel stuff if u desire too!

LAST BUT NOT THE LEAST,MAKE SURE U WEAR/CARRY IN YOUR CABIN LUGGAGE A GOOD SWEATER/LIGHT WIEGHT FLEECE JACKET,SCARF WHILE TRAVEL.AND ALSO A LIP BALM.

-Hope u adjust ur weight limits.
    -GOODLUCK,
    -vaishu

4. chituapr

chituapr New IL'ite

Hi , I recently moved to UK and the things my friends asked me to bring and was really helpful are

Pressure cooker- later one can choose an electric cooker.
    Spoons - all kinds for chapathi, saute, serving, they really have weird spoons which has no edges, square and are really irritating especially if you are used to our spoons.
    Thermal wear - if you are travelling in the winter and are not used to the extreme cold
    Medicines - especially for allergies, wounds etc
    Cosmetics creams - I agree one gets a lot of options here but remember to take them if you are going to European countries as all details on the product will be in their native language and will take a long time to figure out what is what - until and unless you are fluent with the language....

These are some of the stuff I can remember will post more as and when i remember more..

Hope you find this useful..

Chitra

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2009
  5. ananyagayatri

ananyagayatri New IL'ite

nice information who is first time traelling to usa, even my sister is worrying abt wat to carry along with her it is very helpful info for her.
    thanx for nice stuff.

6. Zationar

Zationar New IL'ite

Hi guys m new here and i have a question i am an engineering student moving to Canada next year for higher education and i will also be working their part time for my feea rent food etc. Can anyone guide me wirh the whole deal like what should i take from India and other things to know about moving to Canada