1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Things to bring from India when moving/relocating

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by nirupama, Sep 1, 2005.

1. jothi

jothi Senior IL'ite

few more things.

Hi Krithika,

The ladies who posted before me have pretty much summed up the whole list of things that u will need.
    Here are few things that comes to my mind.

Table top wet grinder probably 110v will be good. Please try to get it in its original packaging. When I brought mine I packed it myself and the base of the grinder broke.

Some karandis and spoons for serving. If you like to eat on stainless steel plates you may want to bring some plates and steel tumblers.

If you have a fav shampoo you might want to get that too, so you can use that till you get used to the water and weather here.

You can also bring some basic medicines for cold, fever, headache and basic antibiotics just in case.
    I cant think of anything more. I will post again if I remember anything,
    Which city are you coming to...?
    Good luck.
    Jothi.

2. madhurisatya

madhurisatya Silver IL'ite

Things to bring to US

Hello Ladies,

This is Madhuri from Hyderabad.Good to see this community.
    I will be travelling to US(Camphill,PA) in the month of October or November to accompany my husband who is working for client in Camphill.

Please suggest what all things i need to bring from India like dresses, utensils, and other things.And suggest how to kill time in Journey to US.

Thanks in advance

Madhurisatya

3. Jithiks

Jithiks Gold IL'ite

Re: Things to bring to US

Hi madhuri,

Welcome to IL !! Looks like this is your first post here...:)

Please refer the thread

Things to bring from India when moving/relocating

This will give you an idea of what to bring for the first time...

Hope you enjoy your stay here at Indusladies !!

Cheers
    Krithika

4. Boo

Boo New IL'ite

Things to buy in India when moving to US

Friends,
    After my marriage in 16 days, I'm moving to Arkansas for a long period. This is going to be my first visit to US. I really don't know what to buy to settle there. I'm going to plan it only by checking all your replies.

First, please tell me how Arkansas is? Is it so hot or cool? Will I get indian accessories there? How about people in Arkansas?

Also, What are the things I should need to buy? Some body says, I need to buy cooker, grinder :rotfl. I really don't know if its really needed. another one says, I don't get Tamarind there. So, please help me to plan things before coming there.

Thanks in advance,
    Kanmani

5. Boo

Boo New IL'ite

Moving to Fayettville, Arkansas

Dear IL's,
    I'm moving to Fayettville, Arkansas from India. In online, I don't see any grocery indian store in that area or any indian related things. I've prepared a list with the things you've mentioned in this thread. But all I'd like to know is, What are the other things I should buy to a place where no indian stuff's are available? Some of the other few things in my list are,

Aval
    Tamarind
    Rice

Also, Any of you living in Fayettville? Do you know anything about the place? This is going to be my first visit to US. Any other things that I should buy?

But one more concern is, It might exceed the allowable wait? I saw we should get a grinder and mixi also. But wouldn't it take much of the allowable wait? Please let me know.

6. happywoman

happywoman Silver IL'ite

Re: Things to buy in India when moving to US

Hi kanmani,

Welcome to the US.
    I suggest you to go thru the link Online glimpse at your Local Indian Community:: ekNazar.com for a brief idea about the place and local info.
    As you are newly married and you are coming with your hubby together i suppose you have to plan your luggage taking the weight into consideration.
    As an overview i would suggest you to take the most essential things which is required for you. Like the first time i came here as a newly married, i packed lots of sambar powder,rasam powder and other homemade powders.
    Other things which i can think of ( you can choose from the below)
    1. Sarees and favourite chudidhars
    2.Warm clothing - sweaters, gloves,socks
    3.Pressure cooker/pressure pan
    4. Idli stand
    5.Dosa pan
    6. Set of big/small ladles
    7.Family albums/unbreakable show pieces
    8.God's photos and other puja items
    9.Your study-related books/materials

I could think of these as of now. Shall update if i remember anything else.
    In short, you might get everything here in US but since you are coming the first time, you should plan to save some dollars for the initial months as you will have other set-up costs of house rent, buying car, insurance etc.
    Try to make a checklist of what you might need from your viewpoint from day 1 of landing here and sort it out. This will help.

vani

7. rama57

rama57 New IL'ite

Hi,
    Bring some steel vessels for boiling milk and for cooking in the pressure pan.Gasket for Pressure pan or cooker. Steel vessels with strong base dont get spoiled easily.

8. shwethag

shwethag Bronze IL'ite

First of all Congratulations. If possible you can bring mixer also (you will get the converted ones or you will have to buy a converter). You can buy a mixer here but it is a very tedious job while grinding for dosa or idli. And also big spoons for serving.

9. saraswatibhat

saraswatibhat Senior IL'ite

Hi Kanmani,

Welocome to US

1)If you want to prepare curds a t home then bring some starter curds from India.Anyways if you like store brought you get in Indian stores here.

2) Some kadai's for deep frying puprpse.It is costly in Indian stores here.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2008
  10. Sabitha_K

Sabitha_K Gold IL'ite

Hi Kanmani ,

Good to hear that you are leaving for US and hope you have lovely time there.I am not sure how Arkansas is going to be hence can't suggest you anything specific to your area.

When I had to travel to London few years back for the first time I bought winter winter in abundance like pullovers etc and then realized that it is much better here and the kind of colors, texture, style that I found here cannot be found in India and I really liked the stuff here.So I had to buy all the stuff again.This also includes western wear.During winter ,the jackets, suits and skirts are adorable.Personally I feel when it comes to clothing, it is always better to go with the country you are in and not get loads from India and land up not wearing them.You can get some traditional wear from India which is expensive and rest of the stuff I think can be obtained anywhere.

-Sabitha