1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Things to bring from India -Pregnancy/baby related

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Selvi, Mar 1, 2006.

1. shwethag

shwethag Bronze IL'ite

Hi chaaral I had one question you mentioned moong dhal pr is it just that or is something else also mixed. If you could give me the procedure it would be great. As I have no information about that.

Thanks in advance. :bowdown

2. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

Shwetha,
    My mom just got the green moong dhal cleaned and then got it powdered in the mill. i didn't add anything else becos i will be using it for the new born baby. but for adults u can add many items like rose petals, lemon peels etc. u can check the recipe in Chitvish forum. i dont remember what my mom adds.
    this time mom said she will bring vasanai podi which they sell in stores for bath powder becos she wont have time to make moong dhal powder.

Try little and see how it suits ur baby.

3. shwethag

shwethag Bronze IL'ite

Thank you chaaral for the information. Actually I had called my mom to ask about the pr she also had no clue she my granny used only besan.
    My mom will come in Jan I will ask her to get moong dhal pr.
    Thank you once again.

4. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

Besan is also used but for adults i think, It is little drying on skin for some ppl. i find moong to be good. whatever u try ,make it fresh and try little first, to see if baby is fine. i feel these are better than soaps.

5. Gowri66

Gowri66 Gold IL'ite

Chaaral...

You are right...Moong dhal powder with Kasthuri turmeric powder will give aroma and softness to the skin. I remember my grandma used for my sisters/cousins too !!

6. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Green gram dhal powder also will be good for baby.

7. priavindh

priavindh Senior IL'ite

Hi ,
    Besan will make the sky dry and it;s mostly used for adults who have excessive oil skin..! And for baby moon dhall powder is the best with kasturi manjal..! it has a wonderful fragrance..!
    Regards

8. advitha

advitha Silver IL'ite

Hi,

My mom got these when she came during my daughter's birth,

- "deepavali marudhu podi" to make legiyam (good for lactating mothers),
    - sambrani (good to show for the baby after hair wash),
    - arana kodi (supposedly ward-off bad dreams),
    - eyetex (she made it at home from ghee vilakku),
    - thandai, black bangle for my daughter (again for evil eyes they say)
    - few new-born dresses, some pathiya samayal powders.
    - vasambu
    - gripe water bottle (though you can get it in Indian stores, we didn't want the one which has been shelved for long)
    - Snana powder with kasturi manjal (essentially turmeric, moongdal and channa dal mix)

I know one of my friend's parents got a cotton daily use saree to tie thooli (indeed she was having it until he was 8 months old)

My mom got some herbal stuffs like Adimadhuram and varali manjal for cold treatment (helped me in getting relieved from sinus pressure) because she didn't want me to use allopathy when I'm breast-feeding.

If your valaikkappu is due then you can ask them to get neem sticks to make kappu, glass bangles and some gift items like manjal, kumkum box etc.

These days you get almost everything here in US, still some mandatory items can be brought from India.

Good luck for a to-be new mom :)

-Uma

9. Ranchu

Ranchu Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Is it safe to bring this Powder from india ? are there any problems in Customs ?

My mom is ready to bring this but am a little skeptical about it. Any suggestions ?

Have you seen this being sold in Indian stores within US ?

10. nancymy

nancymy New IL'ite

:hiyaeverybody!
    I am a to-be granma taking things and would also like to know about this..... these small kumkum boxes or packets will easily be noticed when they are scanned.... esp. since the numbers are more. (I dropped the idea of getting brass lamps as gifts for the baby shower becos' of this - around 30)
    My main worry is the cold weather, ( most often gets below freezing :spin)I am from a warmer place. Will the baby sleep well at night wrapped as a bundlle? Do u use diapers for the newborn during nights....will it last for the whole night?
    I think the LO will sleep better in its own bed.... i need to move around without disturbing, not possible if we r together! Any suggestions which particular brand and model is the best and has stood the test of time?
    waiting to hear from u soon. My dep day is nearing fast.
    Thank u pals!