1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Things to bring from India -Pregnancy/baby related

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Selvi, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Selvi

Selvi Senior IL'ite

Hi all,

My parents are coming to help me with the pregnancy. What things can I ask them to bring with them.. like baby stuff or is there anything specific I would need from India??

Any suggestions please..

Thnx!
    :)

1 person likes this.

2. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Re: what to bringfrom India

Hi Selvi,

I would definitely ask your parents to bring the " pillai petha marundu powder" . You can make it into the leghyam here. You get it in Dabba chetty kadai in chennai. This is a must after delivery. The leghyam is good for healing as well as for lactation after delivery.

Other than that, you get pretty much everything here. Baby stuff etc.....

Hope this helps.

regards
    Vandhana

3. Vidya24

Vidya24 Gold IL'ite

good times ahead

Hi Selvi,

Nice to read that u r having a baby, here is wishing u a safe and easy delivery and happy times ahead.

Since most baby stuff is available everywhere, I am just sharing what my aunt took for her daughter's delivery in the US.

1) Thalattu paadalgal CDs- good ones by MLVasantha Kumari, Bombay Sisters and Vatsalyam by Bombay Jayashree.
    2) Some karuppu valai since it is nice to make the baby wear it for drishti (I am sure yr parents are bringing similar stuff)
    3) To celebrate thottil etc, they got some small gifts to be given with thamboolam for visiting ladies.
    4) One very useful itme, don't laugh, were lots of old cotton sarees and veshtis. These days we get cotton sheets and sleep sacks for babies, traditionally we put them on well washed cotton sarees. It seems the texture of cotton (washed many times) is very soothing for children. In some families, they bundle the babies snugly, this is especialy useful for that.
    5) Another good item is Moogli wooden toys made by Maaya Organics. They are made of wood, brightly painted and have no nails or artificial colours on them. They are hand crafted Chennapattina toys. The range is stunning. And wooden toys cost a lot abroad, especially hand crafted ones.

All the best
    regards
    Vidya

4. Selvi

Selvi Senior IL'ite

Thnx for the suggestions ladies !!!

5. sunkan

sunkan Gold IL'ite

today's warning to parents going abroad.....

dear selvi,
    May i add that ur parents need to have a thorough chek up and carry all their prescriptions as nothing available over the counter ....which u may already know..just a reminder and ask them to get all the reports along....god forbid but in case of emergency this may be required.....all the best i wait with all the ladies of IL for the good news and wish u well...regards..sunkan
    p.s. added a small baby doll for u...hope u like it...

Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  6. Selvi

Selvi Senior IL'ite

Cute!!! thanks a lot!!

7. kanmani

kanmani Junior IL'ite

Suggestions for few more items

Hi Selvi,

1. Is baby shower / bangle function over for you? If it is yet to take place, ask them to get good sets of glass bangles from India. The quality of the bangles you can get here in Indian stores are not the same as those ones you get in India.

2. For the baby to be born...if it is a girl, you may want to ask them bring small black bangles for the baby. It is good to make the baby wear it for atleast an year.

3. They can bring green gram powder (paasi payaru ground in the machine) for bathing the baby. Though you can get green gram here, it cannot be ground soft in mixies. No lotions or wash or gel can match this powder for the softness it can give to baby skin.

4. They can also get garlic (a particular type called othai poondu - just 1 flake inside the skin). It is good if you can take it in your food in the form of poondu kozhambu because othai poondu is good for milk secretion.

Hope this helps. I will post if anything else comes to my mind.

8. dear.vasanth

dear.vasanth New IL'ite

Hi Vandana,

Please tell me the location of "Dabba chetty kadai in chennai". How can i reach there?

Thanks in Advance.

-Vasantha

9. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

India has nice baby massage oils......

10. AnithaPartha

AnithaPartha IL Hall of Fame

Wowwww very interesting topic ladies. I love to participate too. My parents are coming in Nov time. I ve more time to think about items.

One thing I would like to tell you all is - ask to buy baby clothes from India because here in USA all baby products are too costly I feel :bowdown.
    One more thing we will buy a crib here for baby to sleep. Other than that in chennai we can get a baby bed like seems. It is now very famous and it is closed all sides(like mosquito protector) and easy to carry also seems. My friends baby is well sleeping in that bed seems.