There can never be Cessation of Action-Bhagavad Gita Verses 3.24-3.25

Discussion in 'Chitvish on Hindu Culture & Vedanta' started by Chitvish, Oct 2, 2008.

1. muzna

muzna Silver IL'ite

i'm a bit of a novice around here. but i am reminded of reading in the historical studies by one dr. rao, that ' lord krishna was a karmayogi. he knew what the outcome of his talks with duryodhna would be, but still he went so far to meet him. he did not wish the posterity to ever think that he did not try to solve the matter while he could have'.
    and yes doing ones karma is the only way to know what can be..., otherwise it will be... it could have been.

2. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Chithra,
    There cannot be any inaction is what todays Gita lesson tells.Idle mind is devils workshop so goes the saying.The Thirumurthy as known Brahma,Vishnu and Sivan - We cant imagine if any one of them did not perform their action.The whole world would be only at chaos.Its applicable to all of us is what i learnt from Gita.Acting with or without attachment depends on the doer.As Krishna says, the actions will be actions, but the result is different.

This Gita lesson reminds me about the thiruvilaiyadal performed by various deities.They all knew why they are indulging in making the bakthas go through some trying period, but the results of their action ended with various benefits for the society and gave the mankind lot of moral lessons.

Wonderful Lesson Chithra.I just relished reading it.

3. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear Sri,
    Thanks for giving a vivid desciption on Arunam and Achalam.Its a lesson learnt today.The lord is uncomparable - Paraparam..so the motionless is well understood here.
    We seldomn realise that our stay in this earth is a temporary one.As you have mentioned, if the lord decides to end the yuga..there will be pralayam.And all will be one. I can very well relate to the deepa harathi that you have mentioned here.At the end, the priest perform some mudras and show the kumbha deepam -which means oneness.
    The lord is the person who acts and makes us act as well.There cannot be any cessation in that and if at all it happens, anything wont exist.

Great lesson today.Thankyou.

4. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Muzna
    All of us are novices when it comes to understanding the import of the essence of Gita.
    We are all trying to find a way to lead a sin free life in this birth and Gita is the prescription for the same. Like all prescriptions, it is a bit tough to decipher and understand. This is where a combined study helps a lot.
    Sri

5. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Aishu
    Spinoza, the great Dutch Philosopher of the 17th Century, compared our life to a little bird that enters a well lit room from the vast darkness and flies out into the darkness again. Our life on earth is very much like the brief flight of that bird through the well lit room. Where we come from and where we go is not known to anyone. All the relationships that we develop during our journey is like the 'rail snehidam' only. Once we get off at the terminal, we all go away to our respective places completely ignoring the strong bonds that we develop during our journey.
    All that we need to keep in mind is that wherever we are and whatever we do, He is with us and His all seeing Eye observes us.
    Sri

6. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Dear Muzna,
    Welcome to the Gita thread.
    Frankly, we all start off as novices, which I think can be equated to a clean slate. We can learn gradually, slowly, but enjoyably, understanding at the same time.
    Human birth is a blessing and let us make every effort from our part to make the best use of it.
    I hope you will stay tuned, Muzna.
    Love,
    Chithra.

7. Chitvish

Dear Aishu,
    The potentiality of a seed is known only when it sprouts and grows. The worth of a man is known only through his actions.
    Through the meticulous performance of one's Dharma, one's attainments get exemplified. The level of one's self-evolution becomes self-evident through the discharge of one's duty. Where karma is kept in abeyance, the distinctions get lost.If Iswara, the Cosmic intelligence does not induce His beings in their respective functions, confusion of species is bound to take place, leading to cosmic calamity!
    Love,
    Chithra.

8. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Mami,

Every child imitates its parent. By imitation only it learns various things. So parents have to be a role model for their kids, the same way Lord also is saying Iam the role model for my kids (i.e. ourselves) here. Hence how can he set an example of No action... If he does not perform any action even for a nano second then the result would be disastrous.

Here action without attachement is the main clich. Even as parents if we do not expect any return from our kids then that become a divine action.. But how is the million dollar question.... it needs lot of maturity to accept these things..it is necessary for us to read these and assimilate the same in our lives early so that we are prepared to face life with all its adversities rather than grumbling... "I did soooo much but what did I get"

Hope I have understood correctly mami.

9. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Appa,

The explanation on Arunachala was just great... I never knew the literal meaning of the word.. Thanks for that.

Long back my guru had forwarded me a mail, it showed photographs of a leaf from close quarters, then from a distance, from the house , from an aeroplane etc... till we reached galaxy, black hole beyond showing as nothing (shunyam) and the reverse journey till the leaf from there beyond the veins of the leaf, cell, nucleus, dna, beyond that... again leading to Shunyam. Your example of the lamp reminded me of this mail. From nothing we have come and to nothing we go..

If we had ended the Kurukshetra war by snap of his fingers, we would not not have a treat like BG and we would not be discussing the same.

It was really enlightening to read this.. Correct me if I have not understood properly.

10. Chitvish

Dear Lalitha,
    Don't worry - the trend is changing.
    Parents love to be left alone without being saddled with responsibilities like house keeping, baby sitting etc!
    What we, senior citizens, have learnt to follow in our life is detached attachment!
    Love,
    Chithra.