1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Therapeutic Effects of our Traditional Jewelry

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by S0na, Oct 8, 2009.

1. S0na

S0na Senior IL'ite

View attachment 473 Yeah, I am married. My new look displays my Marital status. Thanks to my Ma n Sasuma, :) they often succeed convincing me to wear all those Suhagan tags like Mangalsutra n toe rings. Its not that I do not like wearing them but that is contingent on swinging moods. But why am I asked to follow these marital customs? The answer to these forced me to browse internet and see, what I have revealed!!
    In India, marriage and jewelry are inseparably interlinked. Our traditional Jewelry has had many connotations, both aesthetic and ritual. Most of ornaments focuses on enhancing the beauty of woman.Also, the wearing of jewelry is supposed to endow her with power and authority when she gets married.
    Many of our customs are designed to be simple but powerful reminders of profound philosophical truths. This is one of the factors that has kept Indian culture alive across centuries.
    Since Nature has bestowed woman with a sacred role of motherhood, special efforts are taken to safeguard her health. Our ancestors structured ornaments only after understanding the physiology of the body. Subsequently, these became part of a bride’s tradition and are passed on generations to generations.
    Indians have been practicing acupressure and Acupuncture through customary rituals and traditions in their day to day lives. Some of the Bridal ornaments can be seen influenced by Acupressure points.Thus, the traditional jewelry reveals the femenity and is also put to therapeutic use. View attachment 129961
    Here, we see, some of jewelry which are the signs of marital status of woman as per the Hindu Culture and its significance:

Mangalsutra:

The word itself denotes a significant meaning, where Mangal means auspicious; sutra can be deciphered as a thread. Mangalsutra refers to a revered symbol of wedlock. It is in the form of a thread of black beads and a pendant, tied around neck .Often, the pendant hangs low up to the heart, where the ‘Anahata chakra’ is located. This is for the immune gland, lungs and heart circulation.

Bindi:

A bindi placed on the forehead corresponds to an important acupressure point for increasing energy levels. This position is also spiritually symbolic of the sixth chakra or energy centre often referred to as the `third eye` which is believed to represent insight and intuition. It was thought that daily application would awaken one to one`s connection to the divine and inner vision.
    Men and women often apply a tilak after a puja ritual or on other religious occasions.

Head ornaments:

The head ornaments, most of them hitting the forehead, touched the ‘Ajna chakra’ deals with headache triggers and sight. These ornament press against the crown of the head, which may be Mang Tikkas or heavy floral garlands that are strung on both groom and bride’s foreheads. It works on the ‘Sahastradhara’ which denotes self realization. Its the center of power over the universe.

Ear rings:

The acupressure -points at the ear are treated as a separate science altogether by serious therapists because it is so clustered with important healing zones. As many as 42 different ailments are healed through right pressure at your ear lobes.These include blood pressure related problems, liver issues, neck and upper back, toothache, asthma, kidney problems, eye problems, breathing etc. We have seen some of the woman wear earrings all along the earlobes.

Nose ring:

There are also powerful anti-aging, sight-healing and congestion-relieving points on the nostril.
    Piercing the ears and nose is a common tradition to beautify the looks but to also trigger the vital energy points in the system.Ayurveda also supports the piercing of nostrils to ease childbirth and menstrual pain.

Bangles :

Bangle or Armlets have been a part of womans jewelry since Mohenjo-Daro ,Mauryan Empire era.Then,they were usually made of copper,bronze,gold,silver,agate, chalcedony or shells.
    There are acupressure points in wrists & ankles which link to uterus. A mild pressure on those points is needed on a day-to-day basis for a better health.
    A common belief is that the water which runs down these ornaments, especially those made of Gold, helps maintaining a better balance of health. Homeopathy also supports medicines with gold and silver components to treat patients with a very volatile mindset, noticed especially among teenagers. Often, teenage girls or pregnant woman are asked to wear gold chain or bangles. Now who doesn’t like to wear a full set of matching glass bangles making that jingling sound.

Finger Rings:

A beautiful Finger ring fascinates all of us whether it is a simple ring or studded with stones. The Ring finger is often called as a Magical finger due to its healing power.Also,wedding ring is worn on the left finger, as the left vein ,Vena amorosin, is heart believed to be directly connected to the , a symbol of love.
    Coming to Gems, it is a very familiar fact that a particular gem is worn on a particular finger. This is because it is related to the ayurvedic presence for the five elements in the hands:
    little finger -- water; ring finger - earth element; middle finger - ether; index finger - air; thumb – fire
    This might be a the reason for the belief that gentle touch of little finger to thumb is known as the Jal mudra .This mudra is great for the vata/pitta doshas, by increasing the cleansing water in the body, removes problems of dry skin, dry hair, arthritis, constipation, and other ailments as bronchitis.

Anklets :

This piece of jewellery surrounds the ankle just below the Malleolus Where the anklets hit the feet at several points. One is related to uterine problems, while others seem to affect lower back pain.

Toe-Rings:

Most of us nowadays wear a ring in our second toe. From Acupressure point of view, this one is related with sight and sinuses. Earlier women use to wear a ring in great toe. Now this one has it effects on important glands like Pituitary glands and pineal. Pressure on big toes also activates the parathyroid which deals with bone health.
    Magnets for treating ailments in the form of jewellery such as rings, belts, bracelets are commercially sold.
    Hope This article throws some light on our therapeutic use of jewellery and the foresightedness of our ancestors. Bow

- Priyanka Tayade
    [​IMG]

2. Mitr

Mitr New IL'ite

Thanks for this wonderful piece of Information. Good efforts.

3. sundarusha

sundarusha Gold IL'ite

Thanks Priyanka for the logical and scientific explanation of the therapeutic effects of traditional jewelry that is worn by women.

4. amihere

amihere Platinum IL'ite

Wow!! This is so great, never even guessed wearing jewellery will have something medicinal related to it. Our ancestors are simply superb, most of the customs/rituals they followed had some significance and we try not to practice them saying old ways. Thanks for sharing this info with us. But wearing all these jewellery in today’s world and stepping out will really be a matter for embarrassment.

5. knot2share

knot2share Gold IL'ite

Hi Priyanka/S0na - Good to see you with your blog. I thought it was the blog on your New York experiences when I saw your name, but then the title of the blog clarified it for me. A fantastic piece of information in detail. I have heard of only a couple but it was great to read through the rest of the information. Good one!

6. Kierann

Kierann New IL'ite

thanks for sharing wonderful information with us

7. S0na

S0na Senior IL'ite

Dear Ami,
    You are right !! Even after knowing all this information, it would be difficult for us to wear our ornaments and step out.May be coz we have customized ourselves according to our own likes-dislikes and nowadays comfort matters most to us.
    I personally dont feel the need to stick to these traditions..Technology and Medical science do come to our aid in todays world..

8. sneha44

sneha44 New IL'ite

Very good Information ! But the problem is we cannot wear it everyday .For a working women it is really difficult.

9. S0na

S0na Senior IL'ite

Thanks u all for appreciating my efforts...

10. S0na

S0na Senior IL'ite

Dear knot2share,
    I remember i need to post NY blog..but this was the topic giving me restless hours. For that,i will take help from your peice of blog..May I ? It would be a nice way to keep memories fresh !
    Thanks dear !!