Themed Golu -"Navarathriyil Shivarathri"

Discussion in 'Festivals, Functions & Rituals' started by vijayalakshmir, Oct 15, 2015.

1. vijayalakshmir

vijayalakshmir New IL'ite

Hi IL friends,
    Let me introduce myself. My name is vijayalakshmi housewife. I started my Golu by buying a new 3 feet RajaGanapati for decorating my golu. Ganapathy gives us everything what we ask for. he is such a simple god who fulfills all our needs cheerfully.And we kept our Traditional Golu(9 steps) on one side, on the other side with Handmade dolls and Furnitures out of used wedding invitation cards. In one side Ganapathi idol is positioned with all chettiyar shops parking ets, on the other side Themed Golu is "Navarathriyil Shivarathri". The story behind the Theme is as follows "A legend explains the all-night worship of Shiva on Shivratri. There was once a poor tribal man who was great devotee of Shiva. One day he went deep into the forest to collect firewood. However he lost his way and could not return home before nightfall. As darkness fell, he heard the growls of wild animals. Terrified, he climbed onto the nearest [COLOR=#1FBE00 !important]tree[/COLOR] for shelter till day-break. Perched amongst the branches, he was afraid he would doze and fall off the tree. To stay awake, he decided to pluck a leaf at a time from the tree and drop it, while chanting the name of Shiva. At dawn, he realized that he had dropped a thousand leaves onto a Linga to keep himself awake, the tribal plucked one leaf at a time from the tree and dropped it below which he had not seen in the dark. The tree happened to be a wood apple or bel tree. This unwitting all-night worship pleased Shiva, by whose grace the tribal was rewarded with divine bliss. This story is also recited on Mahashivaratri by devotees on fast. After observing the all-night fast, devotees eat the Prasad offered to Shiva.
    So I invite all of my new friends to our house for

2. vijayalakshmir

IL guys,
    pls help me in uploading fotos of my golu

3. vijayalakshmir

i cant see any attachment icon here. pls guide me to attach fotos...:x

4. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

I think you need to have made "minimum number of posts" to upload pictures. Not sure of the number though! @IL_Admin can you guide her please?

5. IL_Admin

IL_Admin Administrator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

1 person likes this.